House Price Crash Forum

Eu Switches Off Our Old Lightbulbs

dnd

HOLA441
HOLA442
Guest Charlie The Tramp

That`s it, now old light bulbs will zoom in price as consumers buy them in thousands.

Don`t miss this boat. :D

HOLA443
HOLA444

Get the energy saving globes marked "warm white" or "3000K" if you want light output similar to an ordinary bulb.

"White" or "4000K" is the bright white office type fluorescent light. Good for your study etc but not for the lounge or dining room.

"Daylight" or "6000K" is the cold bluish lighting used in some commercial premises etc. You generally wouldn't want these at home although they are very commonly sold for household use. They are good for use in workshops etc however.

Ordinary fluorescent tubes also come in these different types. Get the right ones and you'll find the light output more acceptable. There are also 3500K, 5000K and various others which sit between the above types in terms of the light they produce. You can get 10,000K for acquarium use for example.

HOLA445

Its all about oil.

This and the congestion charge and the 'energy efficiency' of your home and the Iraq/Iran adventure.

Its all about oil and energy.

This should be setting off alarm bells about how precarious our grip on reserves actually is.

HOLA446

I don't think it such a bad idea. Granted energy saver bulbs (ESBs) do take a while to warm up to full brilliance but once they get there things are not that bad. The newer (and more expensive) ESBs do warm up a lot faster. The other problem used to be that they were too large to fit into some fixtures. I notice now that smaller sizes are available though at premium cost.

I absolutely hate it when normal bulbs blow, some of them go with a quite distinctive flash and pop (making me jump) and even trip the circuit breaker at times. No such problems with ESBs - A big thumbs up from me there!

You do get bargains at times. One of my local hardware stores were doing 6 packs of 11 watt Osram energy saver bulbs for a fiver not that long ago.

One problem is that you can't use them with dimmer switches. Has this limitation been resolved?

HOLA447
One problem is that you can't use them with dimmer switches. Has this limitation been resolved?

Yes, the cathode tubes in our office can be used with a dimmer.

The council actually gave each household 3 energy-saving bulbs last year. Actually a good idea from the council!

HOLA448

I wonder how many plane journeys were made for these MEP's to get to the mettings for this piece of shit legislation?

One plane journey will cancell out the entire thing! not thats why they are doing it, its so they stay in a job , come up with ******** rules of no value what so ever.

HOLA449

Give us a break.

We're all greens and yet when they say we're going to have road charging - they're all tax raising bastards.

Then when they say we're going to use these new lightbulbs (I have no way of knowing if they're better but we're told they are) then its a bloody green tax. How dare they?

Hello! The planet is getting warmer. Pay up.

Someone up above said bulbs would go up in price 'cos we'll buy millions more - ********. Mass production will bring the costs down.

HOLA4410
Hello! The planet is getting warmer. Pay up.

...and you think we are to blame?

The Great Global Warming Swindle

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites...ndle/index.html

Are you green? How many flights have you taken in the last year? Feeling guilty about all those unnecessary car journeys? Well, maybe there's no need to feel bad.

According to a group of scientists brought together by documentary-maker Martin Durkin, if the planet is heating up, it isn't your fault and there's nothing you can do about it.

We've almost begun to take it for granted that climate change is a man-made phenomenon. But just as the environmental lobby think they've got our attention, a group of naysayers have emerged to slay the whole premise of global warming.

IIRC it's down to solar flare, not human, activity - this has got to be the second biggest con next to fiat money...

Edited by dnd

HOLA4411

Not sure I have many objections to them for hallways and the like - they save money and use less energy, preserving fossill fuel. But you really do need the 100w equivalent to make a nice light and some take ages to warm up, like an old tv.

However, more of us have spotlight-type lighting now. Will the energy-efficient bulbs be effective there? Perhaps, but I would want to stockpile a few just in case. Even if you don't need them, you will be able to sell them on ebay!

HOLA4412
TBH I've got some of these around the house and the light they give off is sh*t...

I've got round this by using 'the next size up' i.e. using the 100w equivalent to replace an ordinary 60w bulb......

Get the energy saving globes marked "warm white" or "3000K" if you want light output similar to an ordinary bulb.

"White" or "4000K" is the bright white office type fluorescent light. Good for your study etc but not for the lounge or dining room.

"Daylight" or "6000K" is the cold bluish lighting used in some commercial premises etc. You generally wouldn't want these at home although they are very commonly sold for household use. They are good for use in workshops etc however.

Ordinary fluorescent tubes also come in these different types. Get the right ones and you'll find the light output more acceptable. There are also 3500K, 5000K and various others which sit between the above types in terms of the light they produce. You can get 10,000K for acquarium use for example.

..... but the above is a much better idea.

Thanks for the info. :D

HOLA4413
..... but the above is a much better idea.

Thanks for the info. :D

Yep, I've printed it out - it looks like we are going to be forced to use these things anyway

BTW has anybody seen the share prices of these companies currently/planning to produce energy saving bulbs?

HOLA4414

"Hello the planet's warming up time to pay up!"

HAHAHA I love this type of babble- as if phasing in energy saving lightbulbs into a world of 6 billion consumers is going to reverse the amount of carbon out there. Sorry to be a fatalist but until someone invents carbon absorbing lightbulbs we may as well go out and by HUM VEEs and enjoy life

HOLA4415

A year ago I switched all my bulbs over I used the 100w equivalent for the hallway and landing and noticed no difference. Ok they take a few seconds to light up and about a minute to be fully bright.

I used to have a blown bulb once a week and have had none now in over a year. The electric bill is down 20% - the only old style bulbs I have are the spotlights in the kitchen. There are 9 of the poxy things at 60w. If I turn the kitchen lights on for 1 hour it uses more electric than turning on all the rest of the lights in the house all day!

I tried an ESB in the kitchen but it cost about £4 and was much dimmer - couldn't see a poxy thing. Will have to wait until that us sorted out.

HOLA4416
...and you think we are to blame?

The Great Global Warming Swindle

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites...ndle/index.html

IIRC it's down to solar flare, not human, activity - this has got to be the second biggest con next to fiat money...

I can't think of any VIs out there who would possibly want to obfusticate the issues, can you?...

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/climatec...1876538,00.html

Irrespective of differing views on climate change, we need to start cutting down on energy use drastically. UK oil production is now 40% down from its 1999 peak. We are now a net energy importer. Of all the oil producing countries in the world, about half are now in decline. There is some evidence that Saudi has peaked - their production dropped by 1million barrels per day last year - bear in mind a barrel of oil now sells for $60, so there's very little reason for them to cut production, unless they have no choice, or they have a Very Cunning Plan.

50% of UK energy use is in the home. Light bulbs should just be the beginning - let's face it it's not a huge lifestyle change and it saves you money in the long run. Plus it'll screw property programmes - no more stupid halogen spot lights for your new granite-topped kitchen - what will Kirsty do?

The government is pussy-footing around at the moment. We need:

All new homes to be self-sufficient for heating, which is perfectly possible with good insulation, well designed passive solar gain and solar water heating.

Local electricity production, possibly by mandating developers to provide a significant % of electricity for their developments, be that solar panels or a small wind farm.

Ban on all new airport capacity. Put the money into a new high capacity, high speed railway line - which beats air for journeys under 4 hours - about 600 miles at high speed. Britain is the ideal size for this, and it would eliminate the need for flights between major UK cities, and to northern france, belgium, holland, and north-west germany. Energy use per journey would drop by 90% (according to research by Eurostar)

The capacity released on existing main line railways can then be used for better commuter services and a massive increase in freight traffic, saving more energy.

Well that's my two pence. I really dislike the fatalism on this site. Maybe it's because we've got a baby on the way, but I'd actually like to make the future a bit less bleak. It's true the UK can't have much of an impact on climate change, but imminent energy shortages mean it's in our interests to cut down. We'd create a world leading energy conservation industry in the process and be able to sell the technology worldwide.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest Charlie The Tramp

The first time I came across these bulbs quite a few years back was in a customer`s house. Every room was fitted with one and I had to use a portable searchlight to see what I was doing.

Was he a green warrior, no just as tight as a duck`s a**e.

How much was his reply to everthing, can`t you use second hand screws. :rolleyes:

HOLA4419

I can't see how anyone can moan about a decision like this. Such a massive potential saving of energy from making decisions like this with no impact on anyones lifestyles. Many threads on this forum complain about the likes of rising energy costs, well isn't this a step in the right direction?. And the over exagerated views that the bulbs provide very little light is simply not true, buy a 99p 20w bulb from a local supermarket and see how much light this gives (saving 80w). These bulbs will only improve in cost and quality over the next few years aswell.

HOLA4420

HAHAHA I love this type of babble- as if phasing in energy saving lightbulbs into a world of 6 billion consumers is going to reverse the amount of carbon out there. Sorry to be a fatalist but until someone invents carbon absorbing lightbulbs we may as well go out and by HUM VEEs and enjoy life

Why is babble, just start looking after your own life and forget about the rest. Doesn't take any effort to use an energy saving lightbulb yout sound like an old woman complaining about the size of a 5p.

HOLA4421

Unbelievable selfish attitude :blink:

HOLA4422
Well that's my two pence. I really dislike the fatalism on this site. Maybe it's because we've got a baby on the way, but I'd actually like to make the future a bit less bleak. It's true the UK can't have much of an impact on climate change, but imminent energy shortages mean it's in our interests to cut down. We'd create a world leading energy conservation industry in the process and be able to sell the technology worldwide.

So what's your view on the nuclear power plants that the UK are planning to build? - it's not for environmental reasons - it's to make us more energy independant

'Green' issues are there to raise taxes to plug the huge debt built up by Labour covering up unemployment over the last 10 years

You are being conned - time to grow up - the world is being run by a cynical, clever, elite controlling the money supply and people and what they think

...and the future for your children? - it's working all their lives to pay off debt as part of a global workforce

Edited by dnd

HOLA4423

They're not as dear as £1.70 each for staretrs. Morrisons have been having them on offer for 2 for £1 I think it was.

The last lot of lightbulbs (old ones) I had were shite and some electrician I knew said its becasue they make them badly in eastern europe so unless you're paying top whack for them they're a waste of time.

HOLA4424

The problem with the whole global warming argument is that there is just too much information to take in. The more you look into it the more confusing it all becomes and a layman cannot possibly have a valid argument either way.

IMO it all comes down to who you trust. Do I trust world governments to be telling the truth about CO2?

My gut feeling is that it is about peak oil and/or surpressing energy hungry, growing economies which threaten our financial well being.

But it's just a feeling.

HOLA4425
So what's your view on the nuclear power plants that the UK are planning to build? - it's not for environmental reasons - it's to make us more energy independant

Depends on the energy return ratio, taking into account the energy cost of construction, operation, dismantling and waste storage. After taking those into account it's probably not viable. Plus there's evidence uranium deposits are depleting. Won't make us energy independent as there's no uranium mines in the UK.

'Green' issues are there to raise taxes to plug the huge debt built up by Labour covering up unemployment over the last 10 years

Personally I think Labour is engaged in 'greenwash' to try and make it look good, without actually tackling the big issues. There's no way to prove your statement wrong, of course.

You are being conned - time to grow up - the world is being run by a cynical, clever, elite controlling the money supply and people and what they think

...and the future for your children? - it's working all their lives to pay off debt as part of a global workforce

Those darn bilderbergers... putting thoughts into my head. :ph34r:

You may be right, but don't let that make you fatalistic. :huh: The current elite will fall, just like every elite in history. They may be clever, but I don't see much wisdom.

The thing to make sure of is that you have practical skills that people need and that you live within your means, and being happy with little or plenty. Debt is mainly caused by our addiction to 'stuff' - which is encouraged by 'them', but ultimately no one's forcing us into debt at gunpoint. That's what I've always done, and I'll try to teach my kids to do the same. When they've grown up it's up to them.

quanting