House Price Crash Forum

£1000 Per Sq Ft

HOLA441
HOLA442

Had to post this - can't believe how small this place is. I know that the service charges in this building are around £2k per annum as well. :lol:

Du Cane Court

I lived in one of those for 2 years! I must say, they are very nice for studios and Du Cane is a fantastic block of flats and Balham is a fantastic place to live... but £100K for one of those tiny boxes? Still, Im suprised it isnt more. I have seen some of these studios up for rent at £800pcm :blink:

HOLA443

I lived in one of those for 2 years! I must say, they are very nice for studios and Du Cane is a fantastic block of flats and Balham is a fantastic place to live... but £100K for one of those tiny boxes? Still, Im suprised it isnt more. I have seen some of these studios up for rent at £800pcm :blink:

Little known fact about Du Cane Court. Hitler planned to use it as his initial HQ after the invasion of Britain.

HOLA444

At £800 per month it would be a great BTL investment, with a gross yield of 9.6%.

I can't imagine anyone paying more than about £130 pw (£563 per month) which makes it not so good.

Little known fact about Du Cane Court. Hitler planned to use it as his initial HQ after the invasion of Britain.

I knew you would contribute something useful to this site eventually.... :lol:

HOLA445

At £800 per month it would be a great BTL investment, with a gross yield of 9.6%.

I can't imagine anyone paying more than about £130 pw (£563 per month) which makes it not so good.

its overpriced and will be lucky to sell. stay in a hotel if you want a London bolthole , it will be cheaper!

£1000psf is ludicrous.

i bought mine at £275 psf for a 2 bed flat in dulwich - much more reasonable.

HOLA446

Strangely enough, that almost exactly what I paid! And yes, the service charge cost the landlord well over £2k per year.

Another thing about Du Cane - it was the largest block of flats in Europe when it was built - originally it had a penthouse restaurant and local closed-circuit "radio" channels (Butlins, eat your heart out) Still has a shop/newsagent in the reception area. If I had to live in a flat for the rest of my life, I would live it there.

i bought mine at £275 psf for a 2 bed flat in dulwich - much more reasonable.

Yes, but then Dulwich is a kak-hole.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Strangely enough, that almost exactly what I paid! And yes, the service charge cost the landlord well over £2k per year.

Another thing about Du Cane - it was the largest block of flats in Europe when it was built - originally it had a penthouse restaurant and local closed-circuit "radio" channels (Butlins, eat your heart out) Still has a shop/newsagent in the reception area. If I had to live in a flat for the rest of my life, I would live it there.

Yes, but then Dulwich is a kak-hole.

I've lived in both Dulwich and Balham. Balham is a tedious place, sandwiched between young and edgy Tooting, and Clapham.

Dulwich is fine, but very suburban. Nice green spaces tho.

HOLA449

I've lived in both Dulwich and Balham. Balham is a tedious place, sandwiched between young and edgy Tooting, and Clapham.

Dulwich is fine, but very suburban. Nice green spaces tho.

i agree. i wish i could afford W8, it's lovely. one day maybe. i used to live in W14 , so Dulwich positively feels like the countryside!

HOLA4410

First time I have hear Tooting described as "young and edgy" unless by that you mean "cradle of jihad" or "home of nasty, murdering asian gangs", but then again............

you've obvioulsy not been there recently. it's cool!

anyway i'm not going to get into post code snobbery.

True. I havent been there recentley. Furry muff.

Edited by jonewer

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

clapham: home of braying fools

balham: home of braying fools overspill

tooting: grim, but some great curry houses

"Crapham" more like - there are so many scrubbers living in the Clapham Park Esate they just infect the whole area. Clapham is one of those places where the scales will fall from peoples eyes and they realise its actually just a vertical drinking chain bar chav town with loads of BTL properties and no decent shops inhabited at the moement by wannabe sub sub sloaney 20 something thicko grads in insecure advertising jobs, whose landlords will not hesitate to let out their properties to doleys at the first sign of trouble, wiping the veneer of coolness of the place away and undermining values PDQ if there is a downturn. The place is not somewhere i would invest - the retail offer is poor and not diverse, transport is NOT good, despite the Northern line which is packed to buggery most days, and the common is windswept and surrounded and dissected by massive roads, with few trees or sheltered areas. Not as good as some like to say.

HOLA4416

First time I have hear Tooting described as "young and edgy" unless by that you mean "cradle of jihad" or "home of nasty, murdering asian gangs", but then again............

................... But then again, you are talking about an area right next door to Balham, where you say

"If I had to live in a flat for the rest of my life, I would live it there."

:unsure:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

"Crapham" more like - there are so many scrubbers living in the Clapham Park Esate they just infect the whole area. Clapham is one of those places where the scales will fall from peoples eyes and they realise its actually just a vertical drinking chain bar chav town with loads of BTL properties and no decent shops inhabited at the moement by wannabe sub sub sloaney 20 something thicko grads in insecure advertising jobs, whose landlords will not hesitate to let out their properties to doleys at the first sign of trouble, wiping the veneer of coolness of the place away and undermining values PDQ if there is a downturn. The place is not somewhere i would invest - the retail offer is poor and not diverse, transport is NOT good, despite the Northern line which is packed to buggery most days, and the common is windswept and surrounded and dissected by massive roads, with few trees or sheltered areas. Not as good as some like to say.

spot on.

HOLA4419

I lived in one of those for 2 years! I must say, they are very nice for studios and Du Cane is a fantastic block of flats :blink:

This is said tongue in cheek, right? :o:unsure:

Du Cane Court is far from special. It's amazing how perceptions have changed. 10 years ago (and the flats ain't changed) no one wanted to live there, and the block was viewed as downmarket. :lol: A friend lives on Balham Park Road, now your talking! :)

I remember when the flats went for 40k. Didn't want one then either.

Edited by Buffer Bear

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Absolutely spot on. I went there 3 or 4 times to just make sure I hadn't missed something. Clapham has no substance, its reputation is based entirely on spin. It will implode within months of the HPC as the plastics flee in panic.

Tooting = Dump. Dont let anybody tell you different. Was staying at a friends house there a few months ago (dont know where it is but you take a left after the Sainsburys by the tube station). Anyway had a few beers with him and another mate. This other mate is a 6ft 6" scouser with a scar across his face were he was slashed with a knife, very few people would want to tackle him. At about 2am we all went to bed. I had the spare room, scouser had the sofa. Anyway at about 3am I heard some shouting and a large black guy was pegging it out of the front door with scouser in hot pursuit in his boxers. Unfortunately he didnt catch him.

When the police arrived they said it was becoming common place in Tooting along with street muggings. I couldnt believe this guy had climbed in through a small window in the lounge, stepped over a sleeping giant scouser and then proceeded to rifle around the house. The police said that he was likely to be a crack addict and they were willing to do anything for a hit. She also said it was likely that he would have been armed with a knife or gun so we were lucky we didnt tackle him. Apparently they are now just approaching people in the street with guns and demanding wallets and bags - laptops being the target of choice. The guy police officer said that he had been shocked that people were voluntarily moving to Tooting and that the local estate yoofs couldnt believe their luck that all these wealthy victims had landed on their own doorstep.

HOLA4422

I work just up the road just off Wandsworth common, so get the tube to Balham and walk past Du Cane Court every morning, I always had it down as a council place as that's what it looks like. Balham is a bit of a dump if you ask me, full of iffy Kebab and Barber shops.

HOLA4423

I work just up the road just off Wandsworth common, so get the tube to Balham and walk past Du Cane Court every morning, I always had it down as a council place as that's what it looks like. Balham is a bit of a dump if you ask me, full of iffy Kebab and Barber shops.

the weird thing is there are people who are prepared to defend it to the hilt for seemingly no good reason. its zone 3 as well - which doesnt do it any particular favours.

HOLA4424

Absolutely spot on. I went there 3 or 4 times to just make sure I hadn't missed something. Clapham has no substance, its reputation is based entirely on spin. It will implode within months of the HPC as the plastics flee in panic.

Tooting = Dump. Dont let anybody tell you different. Was staying at a friends house there a few months ago (dont know where it is but you take a left after the Sainsburys by the tube station). Anyway had a few beers with him and another mate. This other mate is a 6ft 6" scouser with a scar across his face were he was slashed with a knife, very few people would want to tackle him. At about 2am we all went to bed. I had the spare room, scouser had the sofa. Anyway at about 3am I heard some shouting and a large black guy was pegging it out of the front door with scouser in hot pursuit in his boxers. Unfortunately he didnt catch him.

When the police arrived they said it was becoming common place in Tooting along with street muggings. I couldnt believe this guy had climbed in through a small window in the lounge, stepped over a sleeping giant scouser and then proceeded to rifle around the house. The police said that he was likely to be a crack addict and they were willing to do anything for a hit. She also said it was likely that he would have been armed with a knife or gun so we were lucky we didnt tackle him. Apparently they are now just approaching people in the street with guns and demanding wallets and bags - laptops being the target of choice. The guy police officer said that he had been shocked that people were voluntarily moving to Tooting and that the local estate yoofs couldnt believe their luck that all these wealthy victims had landed on their own doorstep.

What a nightmare!

I've got a funny story about Balham, I went to a party there when I was a student and the next morning we all piled into the local cafe for a greasy (as you do). Anyway I managed to leave my jumper in the cafe and didn't notice until I got home. Anyway, being a poor student I made the effort the next day to get the bus over to balham to see if they still had it. When I got to the cafe the bloke working there was wearing it and pretended not to speak english when I asked for it back :lol::lol:

Of cause this was in the days when students didn't have access to unlimited credit and buying a new jumper was an unwanted expense, so it wasn't so funny at the time!

HOLA4425

This is said tongue in cheek, right? :o:unsure:

Du Cane Court is far from special. It's amazing how perceptions have changed. 10 years ago (and the flats ain't changed) no one wanted to live there, and the block was viewed as downmarket. :lol: A friend lives on Balham Park Road, now your talking! :)

Are you serious?

I went to Balham once, to visit the doctors, when I was staying with my parents in Clapham for a couple of weeks. Only place I could get to.

The doctors is on Balham Park Road. They obviously had so many violent or drug-crazed criminals coming in attacking the receptionist, you couldn't just go into the doctors' surgery. You had to ring the bell, they would come to the door, open it still on the chain to check you weren't a violent thug, and then if not, then let you in.

On my way back, I past a ranting care in the community type, various typical chav-sustenance joints like KFC - South Kensington this is not. Oh, and a guy staggering down the street after having been stabbed.

Delightful place. In fact, perfectly place to bring up a family

OF drug-crazed good-for-nothing gun-toting knife-wielding drug dealers.

PS

It's slightly less than £1000 a square foot as the square footage is a bit over 100 square foot. Actualy about £825/square foot.