House Price Crash Forum

Renovation costs - how much for this house?

HOLA441

I'm not too clued up on renovation costs, but I know some people here are.

Could anybody guesstimate the costs to renovate the house in the link below? I'd be very grateful for any feedback.

Assume the following:

• it is structurally sound
  • gas central heating will be installed
  • it doesn't have to be showy, just newly decorated, new kitchen, new bathroom that function. 
  • the gardens need blitzing
  • all work will be done by tradesmen

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/146522711#/?channel=RES_BUY

I'm just trying to gauge whether it's worth buying a house that needs full cosmetic renovation, rather than a house that's in "move into" condition.

HOLA442

What exactly do you want to do to it?

New central heating and replumb - 5K ++

New electrics and rewire 5K 

Plastering 8K

Kitchen - 10k

Windows - 8K 

Everything adds up - And everything became expensive 

HOLA443
21 minutes ago, Orb said:

Could anybody guesstimate the costs to renovate the house in the link below? I'd be very grateful for any feedback.

Assume the following:

• it doesn't have to be showy, just newly decorated, new kitchen, new bathroom that function. 

I'm just trying to gauge whether it's worth buying a house that needs full cosmetic renovation, rather than a house that's in "move into" condition.

I've just recently bought a house amd renovated, including the garden..

I lifted all the patio slabs, and then hired a digger to remove all the trees and stumps, burnt a lot of branches, (which is a bit naughty as it's not properly dried) but estimate you will need 4 + skips for all that if you aren't burning, and then the time to level, lay weedproof membrane and lay tiles will be 3/4 days ish a tradesman will cost minimum 300 a day, if you have to do fences also £1000 more

garden will be minimum 3000, when you factor in times and disposals

Inside, it depends what spec, the bathroom can be done with the large plastic marble effect sheets which I would recommend, cos I just used tiles and the prices have rocketed not to mention 1 day tradesman vs 3 days. I think the bathroom cost us around 7000 for all new items

Kitchen, again specification is important but minimum 5K.. probably look to 10k, of course could be easily 20k

The rest of the house it depends on spec again, but carpet is cheaper by M3 than laminate, vinyl is the cheapest option. If you carpet 2 bed house through out, with midrange carpet and tradesman, I would expect £2000 ish

The decorating, you have scratched walls, so could strip and skim but that would cost more, middle option is paint strip paint and use thick wall paper.. rough estimate, £3000 minimum 

In general for things like changing light fittings/switches, doors, skirting boards. unforseen extra £5000

So my estimate is 30k for a low to medium renovation, I honestly couldn't get tradesman out for less that £300 a day, and the decent ones were £400.. I'm around Liverpool so prices will vary hugely..

But check a trade is quite a decent website to use to research.

Also, is the home non standard construction? Cos that tin Facade screams non standard, which isn't bad, but does restrict mortgage options and I assume if this is the reason why its priced cheaper than normal for the area

HOLA444
23 minutes ago, house-down said:

What exactly do you want to do to it?

New central heating and replumb - 5K ++

New electrics and rewire 5K 

Plastering 8K

Kitchen - 10k

Windows - 8K 

Everything adds up - And everything became expensive 

Yerrr your figures are pretty similar to mine, I think the point that I missed, I took out a 20k loan to support my recent renovation, at a 7.9% interest rate, however if it was tagged onto a mortgage (at the time rate was 3.9%) so that does make a huge difference also

HOLA445

Thanks @house-down and @Grayphil

Both your posts suggest £30-40k. That's kind of what I was needing to know, as I have no idea of costs of anything house related these days. 

Regarding that specific house, I see lots around that price in my county which are roughly in that condition, so I was using this particular house as an example. 

HOLA446

Dont forget the EE have gone and a lot of proper british builders have retired so finding good tradesman will be difficult, I had a friend who had a building extension that needed to be done he was in Christchurch and he just could not find builders for love or money.

No one wants to work anymore.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

It obviously helps if you are in the building trade or have  relatives/ close friends who are. Will be able to get  accurate information about what needs to be done/costs and recommendations for reliable people to do the work.

Over a decade ago I had to renovate a house and didn't have this advantage. I found it quite stressful finding good people to do the work. 

Something that I would advise if a bid is accepted on a house. Get a mid level survey and if possible go round the house with the surveyor. They will let you know if the the roof is sound, damp course, repointing etc which could save you thousands.

Although it is more stressful than buying somewhere ready to move in, rewire, central heating should be cheaper and easier to do on an empty property. If you spend 30 to 40 grand( sounds about right) everything should be good for a long time. 

Worst option, in my opinion,( compared to  something that requires a full renovation that is reflected in the price ,or somewhere  mostly up to date), is buying somewhere for near top money( especially a  new build), that cosmetically looks quite nice but nothing has been done, except maybe a conservatory,  for 20 years. Over next few years, strong chance lots of things need replacing one after the other.

HOLA4410

Just for comparison - I did a one bed flat in London recently - 30 square metre in size 

New electric plumbing all electric so no central heating, iea kitchen basic shower, three double glazing units, new doors, plaster , floor 

I kept a tight spreasheet and spent 21 grand - Thats me doing a bit of work and removing all the rubbish and bringing material with no mark up 

HOLA4411
16 minutes ago, house-down said:

Just for comparison - I did a one bed flat in London recently - 30 square metre in size 

New electric plumbing all electric so no central heating, iea kitchen basic shower, three double glazing units, new doors, plaster , floor 

I kept a tight spreasheet and spent 21 grand - Thats me doing a bit of work and removing all the rubbish and bringing material with no mark up 

Yeah, it's genuinely brutal.. for my house, I also had a loft conversion done.. I'm fortunate that with my job, I work 2 months on, then get 2 months off, so was able to do a lot of work myself.. 

Think if I hadn't have been able to do lots myself, the total would have been 60k instead of 30k

HOLA4412
8 hours ago, Orb said:

Assume the following:

Guess they can look nice what is the construction? Neighbours on either side must be really looking forward to this one being sold and renovated.  BIG QUESTION for me would be what is the sound proofing like ? 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/details/england-126991145-17784631?s=95386e9800e1600100395ed609d7c84029d8ece3ab7facf81cb20baf9ea1747a#/

HOLA4413
13 hours ago, Orb said:

Assume the following:

Looking at the size of the reveals on the windows there doesn't seem to be much depth.

Most block/brick new builds I tile have about a 200mm reveal/cill .

Those pics shows a much narrower reveal , tho the window frames look thickish. But still , looks thinner than normal on top half .

Timber or other sort of frame then clad in timber?

Reminds me of the Naval married  ¼s i used to live in as a kid nearly 60 yrs ago.

D

HOLA4414

Just to add , if you look at the internal corners of walls  / ceiling there looks to be a timber beading . That suggests to me a very thin layer of a wall covering. Possibly hardboard or similar?

Not surprised there isn't an EPC on the listing.

Photos aren't great but screams bargepole to me 🤷

STBC on any of my points.

D 🙂

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
3 hours ago, Dames said:

If you look at the epc of the similar property advertised below on the same page , it's timber framed.

I wouldn't go near it if its timber framed I would be surprised if anyone could get a mortgage on it given the poor condition it is in and with the deterioration with the cladding etc ALARM BELLS. 

HOLA4417

Kitchen 7-10k

Bathroom 4-6k

Plastering 2.5k

Electrics 3-4k

Central heating 5k

Problems which arise 5k.

Windows... Not really sure.

In all honesty, it may cost more or less, there will always be the unforseen.

You can make the costs lower by spending time getting more quotes and negotiating with tradesmen. Don't drive the price down to much though, work out the materials and then add £130-200 a day for their labour.

Some trades men will work day rate, I had a chap do my kitchen in ten days for £1500, I paid for materials and I was happy with that.

If this was mine, I would strip the paper off all the walls, use van and take all the crap in there to the tip.

Try not to get skips, local rubbish tip will take it all, as long as it's your registered address.

Get the windows, rewire and central heating done, followed by plastering, kitchen and bathroom. Then onto back garden.

You could paint it and clear the garden yourself.

HOLA4418
2 hours ago, Dweller said:

I wouldn't go near it if its timber framed I would be surprised if anyone could get a mortgage on it given the poor condition it is in and with the deterioration with the cladding etc ALARM BELLS. 

Agreed 

HOLA4419

@Dames Thanks for your input. I'm not going anywhere near this property. It's vastly overpriced considering it's poor condition and the area. The area has a terrible reputation. I'm more interested in the costs to renovate a property like this. I see quite a few at this price and in this condition around my county. This particular house (in fact the whole eastern district of Northampton) was thrown up in the late 60s/early 70s for the London overspill, and I don't think they were the best quality. It's the same over most of the eastern district. 

@Speed1987 That's a great breakdown, thank you. Like the others, it's pointing towards £30-40k. 

HOLA4420

Its not worth getting trademen in to do that complete refurb work. Tradesmen arent cheap nowadays. Nor are materials. And theres a lot of cowboys too. It will likely cost more than buying a house in reasonable nick unless you find a bargain which is unlikely. Theres usually good reasons why professional refurbers have passed on places like this.
Worth doing if you are a competent DIYer and have the time/energy to do it.
Alternatively buy a place that has tired decor but still liveable and do it room by room over time.

HOLA4421
18 hours ago, shlomo said:

Dont forget the EE have gone and a lot of proper british builders have retired so finding good tradesman will be difficult, I had a friend who had a building extension that needed to be done he was in Christchurch and he just could not find builders for love or money.

No one wants to work anymore.

If you need some good hard-working folk in the building trade, I can put you in contact with some good contractors. But you'll need to pay cash...   😉

HOLA4422
43 minutes ago, Frankie Teardrop said:

Its not worth getting trademen in to do that complete refurb work. Tradesmen arent cheap nowadays. Nor are materials. And theres a lot of cowboys too. It will likely cost more than buying a house in reasonable nick unless you find a bargain which is unlikely. Theres usually good reasons why professional refurbers have passed on places like this.
Alternatively buy a place that has tired decor but still liveable and do it room by room over time.

I completely agree with all of this and find some of the figures being given verging on ridiculous. The only thing that would make them worthwhile would be if you won the lottery and were confident you would be buying your "forever house". 

Irrespective of area I suspect you wouldn't ever get your money back on many of these. I recall being on an estate agaents site admiring the kitchen in a house that was for sale opposite. The first thing that the new owners did was to rip it out as they built an extension with a brand new kitchen in there. Interestingly those people were serial movers. They have moved house about six times in the time we have known of them. I suspect that in a rising market many people kid themselves that it is their refurbishment that is increasing the price. Spend £30K and sell a couple of years later for a £60K profit. The truth is they would have probably made a £45K profit had they done nothing.

HOLA4423
7 minutes ago, TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack said:

I completely agree with all of this and find some of the figures being given verging on ridiculous. The only thing that would make them worthwhile would be if you won the lottery and were confident you would be buying your "forever house". 

Irrespective of area I suspect you wouldn't ever get your money back on many of these. I recall being on an estate agaents site admiring the kitchen in a house that was for sale opposite. The first thing that the new owners did was to rip it out as they built an extension with a brand new kitchen in there. Interestingly those people were serial movers. They have moved house about six times in the time we have known of them. I suspect that in a rising market many people kid themselves that it is their refurbishment that is increasing the price. Spend £30K and sell a couple of years later for a £60K profit. The truth is they would have probably made a £45K profit had they done nothing.

As Sarah Beeny said any fool can make money in a rising market, and if you purchased a dud you will have lost out big time

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, Frankie Teardrop said:

Depends on the price, a 2 bed sold in 2021 for 150k.

Some tradesmen buy properties over the colder months (autumn/Winter) to keep themselves in work, you've definitely got a point there.

HOLA4425

@Orb

What I would consider, is how long do you intend to stay in the property? 

If it's forever, buy it and refurb it the way you want and then you get to enjoy it.

I've been in the same dilemma and also bought the doer upper. Stops you paying twice if your just going to change it all anyway... Also, the previous owners may have designed the house poorly, you'll have chance to put things right.