House Price Crash Forum

Do you own (with or without mortgage) one or more houses?

HPC House ownership  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own (with or without mortgage) one or more houses?

• Yes
    • No

HOLA441
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Owning can be owning with the bank, but also owning with one other or more than one other.....this country or another country or both .......What is the point of this?.....means absolutely nothing ......... Can own one million pound property with anothers and debt..... or three £300k properties owning outright?;) 

Edited by winkie

HOLA443
HOLA444
2 hours ago, Dames said:

Shared ownership

94% me , 6% bank

D

I can beat that 99.94% me 0.06% bank. That amuses me when they quote numbers about how many people have mortgages.

I also own half another house which I haven't even visited for two years. The problem is my sister owns the other half and is living in it. No I don't charge her rent.  

HOLA445
3 hours ago, winkie said:

Owning can be owning with the bank, but also owning with one other or more than one other.....this country or another country or both .......What is the point of this?.....means absolutely nothing ......... Can own one million pound property with anothers and debt..... or three £300k properties owning outright?;) 

It’s the internet. 

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I've inherited my dad's retirement flat, which I desperately tried to sell this year as I didn't fancy the 600 quid a month service charge. No mortgage though. Failed to sell and now very reluctantly have tenants. 

Also, sold my home when I joined this site in 2007. We rented, house-sat, and lived with in-laws for a bit (hence the name). Eventually built our own home which we now owe 40k on. Zoopla is saying it's worth 1.4m (which I can't confirm because it's never been on the market), so we'd definitely not have been able to buy it at that price.

Edited by LivingWithTheInlaws
To add detail

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Own outright. I could not care less if my house goes up or down in value, as long as it doesn't affect the other things I have which I would like to protect.

For example, I would like to continue to receive 5%+ interest on my savings than have interest rates slashed and my house being valued at another 10k over the coming year or so.

Edited by Dreamcasting

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
1 hour ago, athom said:

Funny how MSE trolls love to think everyone here is living at their mums when the majority have a house or 2. We just want the prices to come down for various sensible reasons. 

To be fair, I would absolutely love to be able to live with my mum.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I have an apartment in the capital, a house by a beautiful stretch of coast, and a farmhouse in the country, no mortgage, and non of them in the UK. Relatively asset rich, but cash poor... Still, thankfully no debt, and a better lifestyle than I could have ever hoped to have in the UK where I'd probably still be struggling to own one home.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
19 minutes ago, crash-and-burn said:

I have an apartment in the capital, a house by a beautiful stretch of coast, and a farmhouse in the country, no mortgage, and non of them in the UK. Relatively asset rich, but cash poor... Still, thankfully no debt, and a better lifestyle than I could have ever hoped to have in the UK where I'd probably still be struggling to own one home.

There are many alternatives than paying £250k for a new build first time buyer box......you must have once owned something here but thought might want to look elsewhere to get more for your money and a better quality of life?;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Just now, PeanutButter said:

She's really quite completely dead.

Nothing you can do about that then.......one lovely lady I know has had her children move closer to her.....one had US green card lived out there for many years, and now back for good....just when she needs them, and they need her.;)

HOLA4419
8 minutes ago, winkie said:

There are many alternatives than paying £250k for a new build first time buyer box......you must have once owned something here but thought might want to look elsewhere to get more for your money and a better quality of life?;)

I've never owned in the UK. I did rent for a couple of years, and then left the country at a relatively young age. I wasn't looking to live overseas, it's just sometimes things happen, opportunities arise, and you ride the wave and see where it takes you. There's been a lot of good luck involved too.

HOLA4420
3 minutes ago, crash-and-burn said:

I've never owned in the UK. I did rent for a couple of years, and then left the country at a relatively young age. I wasn't looking to live overseas, it's just sometimes things happen, opportunities arise, and you ride the wave and see where it takes you. There's been a lot of good luck involved too.

Leaving at a young age for children and young adults is something that has always been done throughout history...... motivated parents looking for better opportunities, sometimes the job takes them to new places.....great if a new language, children quickly learn languages, being multilingual is a global job in demand skill.;)

HOLA4421
46 minutes ago, crash-and-burn said:

Which country?

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

To be fair, I would absolutely love to be able to live with my mum.

A friend of mine pretty much had to move in with his dad and seems to think of it as a bit of a fail due to societal expectations. I said pretend you're in any country in the world other than the english speaking ones and northern europe and it would be expected one of the kids would live with the parents in the family home to look after them. Completely normal. I'm surprised the frugal at MSE don't think of it as a good idea tbh but they use it as an insult. 

HOLA4423
50 minutes ago, athom said:

A friend of mine pretty much had to move in with his dad and seems to think of it as a bit of a fail due to societal expectations. I said pretend you're in any country in the world other than the english speaking ones and northern europe and it would be expected one of the kids would live with the parents in the family home to look after them. Completely normal. I'm surprised the frugal at MSE don't think of it as a good idea tbh but they use it as an insult. 

As a nation we are quite hands off with children. No co-sleeping, strict bed times, off to nursery ASAP, our history of boarding schools. 

Some might say that much of our intergenerational angst could be related to this cultural arms length behaviour.

HOLA4424
7 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

As a nation we are quite hands off with children. No co-sleeping, strict bed times, off to nursery ASAP, our history of boarding schools. 

Some might say that much of our intergenerational angst could be related to this cultural arms length behaviour.

I was skeptical of nursery but our kids came on leaps and bounds when they went, especially in terms of relating to other people

Which kind of makes sense : in our tribal past we evolved to expect to be insmall groups ofnchildren and adults right from day 1  and not just 100% with our own parents or grandparents.

So far from causing angst I think it helps avoid it.

It's always been a tiny minority who went to boarding school

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Gbob said:

Which country?

Just across the channel

1 hour ago, winkie said:

Leaving at a young age for children and young adults is something that has always been done throughout history...... motivated parents looking for better opportunities, sometimes the job takes them to new places.....great if a new language, children quickly learn languages, being multilingual is a global job in demand skill.;)

I was around 28 when I left, and didn't have any kids at the time. Financially it didn't benefit me as I was doing relatively well in the UK at that point; I wasn't sure if it would work overseas (I was self-employed) and I also had the language barrier to contend with, but it all panned out in the end. English is now my children's second language, and they've only visited the UK maybe 3 times. It's a bit of a shame, but I don't have much contact with the UK anymore. When I do get to visit the changes are always very apparent.