House Price Crash Forum

Cheap Places To Buy In London

eldras

HOLA441

I actually think the cheapest area of London is Lancaster... yes its a bit of a commute but you can get an amazing house for ONLY £300K...

I'm sorry... but living miles out of town and having to go through commuter hell to work and back or even to go out for the night is NOT my idea of a bargain.

The kinds of places which are now 'affordable' are the kinds of places I would never, ever have wanted to live if I could afford anywhere else.

I'll stay in my Central London - Zone 1 address... renting with friends for £400 pcm - thanks!

This is true, but how many people are lucky enough to be able to rent for next nothing in Zone 1?

I have never been to Dagenham, but I have heard it is pretty bad. In fairness, though, if you can get to Tower Hill in 14 minutes, it is probably an easier commute than most people would have from some parts of Zone 1, let alone 'semi-central' Zones 2 & 3 on the tube.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Try Harrow, looks a long way on the tube map but aint realy, I found it when I moved back to London 8 years ago, went out on every day off to anywhere on the tube network to wherever I could aford to buy. Harrow won due to best transport links for an outerish area, low crime rate and good local shops etc, depends of course on what your looking for, but flats around here havent moved in price in about 3 years, a 2 bed in a conversion (Edwardian Houses) for about 170- 180K A one bed in similar with garden maybe a bit less, see nethouseprices.com for recent real selling prices. Houses are a lot more of course and if you want on the Hill its far more expensive, Transport is above average, Met Line into Baker st is about 20mins and only a few stops as expresses through a lot of stations, also a rail link 1 stop to Marlybone, down the road a bit is Harrow and Wealdstone station which has fast trains to Euston. Just out of interest Im not an estate agent and would like to move in closer but Chealsea still out of reach.

HOLA443

Hendon affordable?

You must be joking. The whole place is a rundown sh!thole with absolutely nothing to do. Brent Street is a complete joke, nothing but estate agents and bookies. And lots of empty shops with soaped-up windows. I think Hendon is actually horrifically overpriced for what it is. Just across the A1, Finchley has much better facilities and is in a similar price range. Still too expensive for us though. Just like everywhere in London.

HOLA444

Try Harrow, looks a long way on the tube map but aint realy, I found it when I moved back to London 8 years ago, went out on every day off to anywhere on the tube network to wherever I could aford to buy. Harrow won due to best transport links for an outerish area, low crime rate and good local shops etc, depends of course on what your looking for, but flats around here havent moved in price in about 3 years, a 2 bed in a conversion (Edwardian Houses) for about 170- 180K A one bed in similar with garden maybe a bit less, see nethouseprices.com for recent real selling prices. Houses are a lot more of course and if you want on the Hill its far more expensive, Transport is above average, Met Line into Baker st is about 20mins and only a few stops as expresses through a lot of stations, also a rail link 1 stop to Marlybone, down the road a bit is Harrow and Wealdstone station which has fast trains to Euston. Just out of interest Im not an estate agent and would like to move in closer but Chealsea still out of reach.

You're kidding right? I've spent a couple of years here and it's an absolute dump. The area used to be lovely (my wife has lived here all her life) but recently it's gone dramatically downhill. It's fast turning into one vast BTL and hardly anyone seems to speak English anymore (in fact even the traditional Indian population is gradually being replaced with east Europeans). It's the only place I've lived where I've seen a bunch of schoolkids mug someone in the middle of the afternoon in a shopping centre and a whole crowd stood around and watched as it was happening. Some of the schoolkids who had nothing to do with the mugging were pointing and laughing.

Admittedly it does have some nice Edwardian housing and reasonable transport links (although the Metropolitan line seems to have the worlds most unreliable signals as they are constantly failing when you're trying to get into work). But the changes I've seen in the last few years lead me to believe it's a fast deteriorating area.

EDIT: You're right though, prices haven't improved here in around three years. There's a reason for that.

Harrow? No thanks. The sooner I find somewhere else the better.

Edited by Portent

HOLA445
HOLA446

Barking and Dagenham - well its the only place in London where a first time buyer with a family can still afford to buy (and only 14 mins from Tower Hill by fast airconditioned C2C train)!

Plus plenty of racial tension and rising crime to throw into the mix!

This is true, only place where good value is still to be found. The locals are selling up and moving out of London. Won't be long before it is gentrified, especially with the olympics on its way.

HOLA447
  • 1 month later...
HOLA448

HaHaHa! nope I'm not an estate agent, nor brain dead, nor driving round with my eyes shut. I just dont feel that society is too big or factious to relate intimately with. I'm not into ad hominems either!

I think my views are pretty well known.

I am for a socially aware real politik: eg to understand that people have the right to own a home a a basic human right.

I'm against people owning more than one home because i think homes are part of successful communities and not wigets to buy and sell oter goods.

I think houses are in a special category, like health care and wealth distribution.

Home prices in London are going to rise and rise because they are determined by supply and demand, and loads of people want to liove in London who aren't here yet.

The two big London projects The Olympics and London Greenways (a 10 year old scheme to sink London traffic and parking under London, like in Boston that seems to be going ahead) will boost prices futher.

Everyone should have a home who wants one. Of their own.

I know the sheer numbers in our community can make us feel like we are disparate, but we're one people.

The solution is to build more houses, and to move to a climate where homes aren't used to speculate with.

If new home building is left to market forces alone they wont be affordable.

I'm not in favour of legislation to stop people owning more than one house, I think it can be done using taxation & other systems.

The majority of people on the property ladder dont want prices to fall ie dont want the price of thier own homw to fall for simple and eaily demonstrable reasons:

1. They can remortgage if the price has risen.

2. They have a capital investment that is good.

3. They are not going into negative equity.

4. They feel that they are getting richer as their house price rises

A friend has just got a garden flat in Roe Green Village. I 've seen it it's one of the prettiest places in London and undercut competing areas by at least 30%.

So I stand by my assement of NW11, it's underpriced, well serviced and green with almost zero crime. there is a placard on the village green commemorating the late queen mother's visit to it etc

It is terrific value for money.

There is a real problem about houses in London and the south east though.

It cant be addressed by individuals, and needs government policy legislation and suport.

HOLA449
Guest Winners and Losers

there is a placard on the village green commemorating the late queen mother's visit to it etc

Well, it must be OK then. We know what respect the low lifes of this world have for the late Queen Mum.

HOLA4410

I rent in zone 1, it' ******ing expensive, but if you add in the commuting time, I'd rather pay an extra couple of hundred to avoid it.

There are no cheap areas left in London that you would want to live in.

I remember Hackney was supposed to be an up and coming area. Yes the prices wen up but if you value your life you wouldn't want to live there.

HOLA4411

Harrow low crime? I was mugged in Northwick Park. Over nearer Harrow & Wealdstone there were several rapes in the area, and people having fights in the street near the shops. There was a triple stabbing including one murder in a house that just about backed onto us. The transport links into town are good, but if that's a low crime area I don't want to see a high crime area.

Billy Shears

HOLA4412
Guest Winners and Losers

I rent in zone 1, it' ******ing expensive, but if you add in the commuting time, I'd rather pay an extra couple of hundred to avoid it.

There are no cheap areas left in London that you would want to live in.

I remember Hackney was supposed to be an up and coming area. Yes the prices wen up but if you value your life you wouldn't want to live there.

When I bought my flat in Brixton, friends who bought in 'West Hampstead' (Kilburn really), thought I was mad. They were too afraid to even come and visit. I have to say though that Crackdealer Coldharbour Lane hasn't changed much, but the prices have! I read, on FindaProperty, that Streatham is up coming because Lambeth Council are doing some 'planting' on Streatham Common. It will take more than that. I understand that even McDonald's has bailed out of Streatham High Road.

HOLA4413

roe green village & , hendon.

great tube links, almost zero crime, gardens etc under £200,000k for a flat house

google nw11 estate agents.

worth a drive around.

the most likely scenario is that house prices will soar again in my view, because of demand and supply.

also eveyone who is on the ladder doesn't want a drop.

Definitely an EA from Hendon. Good try mate :lol::lol::lol:

Ummm... on the last point. I have no doubt everyone who is on the ladder doesn't want a drop. However, and this is knowledge that appears to be sadly failing from the British education system - economics takes no prisoners. Normally it is a tidal flow with its own rythym. Unfortunatelywe have had a massive continential fiat money shift. Know what that causes? A tsunami. Know what happens after a tsunami? The water goes in, then the water pulls back about a mile, taking everything on the shore with it. Or in simple and direct language, you don't always get what you want ;)

EDIT:

And why has this old thread suddenly been reactivated?

Edited by Elizabeth

HOLA4414
Guest Winners and Losers

Definitely an EA from Hendon. Good try mate :lol::lol::lol:

Ummm... on the last point. I have no doubt everyone who is on the ladder doesn't want a drop. However, and this is knowledge that appears to be sadly failing from the British education system - economics takes no prisoners. Normally it is a tidal flow with its own rythym. Unfortunatelywe have had a massive continential fiat money shift. Know what that causes? A tsunami. Know what happens after a tsunami? The water goes in, then the water pulls back about a mile, taking everything on the shore with it. Or in simple and direct language, you don't always get what you want ;)

EDIT:

And why has this old thread suddenly been reactivated?

The original poster bumped it with actually nothing of substance to add.

You are a clever lady Elizabeth. So, do you think we are at the point where the tide has gone back out and everyone thinks all is OK, it's all over, safe to venture onto the beach again? Then, whammo, in it comes, worse than before.

Edited by Winners and Losers

• 2 months later...
HOLA4415

Are you an NW11 estate agent?

Nope.

i just think there are some great places in London still for about £200-

look at this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-776...pa_n=6&tr_t=buy

(June 20th 2006)

Where can you get a 80 foot garden flat in a great area in one of the prettiest villages in England..ON THE JUBILEE LINE for this price?

Roe Greeen Village is probably the prettiest I've seen and beggars belief.

people dnt know about it because it's hidden by a part

But it's got everything

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Is Dagenham actually part of London officially? I always thought of it as Essex?

Anyway, in London there are some real bargains to be had Merton (think 3 bed+garden+decent schools+train links to centre of London for under 300K) and further south in Sutton (known for good schools). Research these areas an you will find some pretty good deals and far better value than even the run-down areas of inner London:

http://www.findaproperty.com/regi0005.html

http://www.findaproperty.com/regi0038.html

HOLA4418

There is a cheap area in "hendon" to be fair to the original poster.

Its known as the Graham Park Estate. Built on the old hendon aerodrome, houses there used to retail for about 10k.

You can still buy a four bedroom house for 200k:

http://www.findaproperty.com/agent.aspx?ag...prop&pid=273159

3 bed just went for £150k (apparently):

http://www.findaproperty.com/agent.aspx?ag...prop&pid=210682

Only problem, is that this IMHO is the most dangerous place in London. Why do you think the police set up a training college in Hendon?

But if you don't mind being mugged, raped, having your car stoned, your family burnt alive feel free to move in.

HOLA4419

There is a cheap area in "hendon" to be fair to the original poster.

Only problem, is that this IMHO is the most dangerous place in London. Why do you think the police set up a training college in Hendon?

But if you don't mind being mugged, raped, having your car stoned, your family burnt alive feel free to move in.

You have GOT to be kidding. this is the kind of ill-informed rubbish that is making HPC.co.uk increasingly a joke.

Hendon is a mix of affluent Golders Green overspill and a multi-ethnic hotchpotch on the 'less posh' side as you head towards Colindale, with it's big supermarkets and huge car dealerships.

And you are right by Brent Cross shopping centre which of course is famously dangerous, what with it's big John Lewis store and the noted gangsters paradise, Ikea, is not far either.

I don't know when the Hendon police training centre was set up but I imagine it was a good few decades ago and I don't see how this can possibly reflect the supposed 'danger' of the surrounding area.

If the place was that bad wouldn't you put real police officers there, rather than untrained recruits?

I think you may be thinking of Harlesden which is known as a centre of gun crime and gangs.

Edited by Londoner

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
You have GOT to be kidding. this is the kind of ill-informed rubbish that is making HPC.co.uk increasingly a joke.

Have you ever been to the Graham Park Estate?

I personally have walked through Harlesden, and the Graham Park Estate, and as I said in MY OPINION. I felt safer in harlesden.

I am only talking about the estate not the rest of Hendon. I agree with you that most of hendon is actually a relatively nice place. But the estate is a shithole.

Why do you think a FOUR bedroom house is on for 200k

If you are so confident I dare you to take a walk there.

HOLA4422
Guest prudence

roe green village & , hendon.

great tube links, almost zero crime, gardens etc under £200,000k for a flat house

google nw11 estate agents.

worth a drive around.

the most likely scenario is that house prices will soar again in my view, because of demand and supply.

also eveyone who is on the ladder doesn't want a drop.

this is not the first time this idiot has posted this. Definitely has a vested interest in doing so. Estate agen t, probably

HOLA4423

Mate of mine has dumped his 3 BTLs in these areas - making no money on them and PITA tenants. It's cheaper than Hampstead for a very good reason (save for the odd bits which really are quite nice and priced accordingly). If that market turns, are people going to be happy in zone 3/4 - yes, you have the old Thameslink but you still have to get to the station.... at Hendon or Mill Hill, both of which are not exactly nice areas....

HOLA4424

Mate of mine has dumped his 3 BTLs in these areas - making no money on them and PITA tenants. It's cheaper than Hampstead for a very good reason (save for the odd bits which really are quite nice and priced accordingly). If that market turns, are people going to be happy in zone 3/4 - yes, you have the old Thameslink but you still have to get to the station.... at Hendon or Mill Hill, both of which are not exactly nice areas....

Mill Hill is a very expensive area!

HOLA4425

Mill Hill is a very expensive area!

And most of it is bloody awful. There are nice bits, but as I don't need to go the local synagogue, it held no real appeal to me [he does, so it does]

It has the A1, the M1 and the noise carries a lot, it has awful traffic and it's full of those houses that started life as decent wnough 1930's and have been grotesquely overextended and now look ridiculous and most of which are owned by people who think in and out gates look cool [they do, but not on a semi]

Edited by Rachman