House Price Crash Forum

Prepping: What happens if there's no power or the banks close?

Warlord

HOLA441
On 05/10/2021 at 22:07, Warlord said:

Nice to hear from you @TheCountOfNowhere

This person was full of examples abroad. He pointed to a recent example of South Africa where there is rioting, looting and general unrest and told me not to rule  that kind of thing out here....

It could be an interesting winter.... 

The problem with stockpiling stuff in a city is that if the SHTF people will take it off you at gunpoint maybe, you need a vehicle fuelled up and ready to go somewhere safer. I saw a documentary recently where the guy who originally coded the thumbs up/down icon for facebook was it? now lives in a wooded piece of land with a water supply, a long easy to observe sloped approach to his property on one side and cliffs on the other in Oregon, and he is also heavily tooled up with assault rifles etc. His mental health has obviously slipped a bit, but he said that in his opinion the influence of social media is breaking down the political machine`s ability to run things and when it kicks off in the U.S it will just be a massive gunfight with no knives, he also regrets creating the famous icon because it is "dopamine for lab rats" and basically just f*ucks people up if they spend long enough obsessing about it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
10 hours ago, Nationalist said:

It's clear the govt will not fight inflation - in two ways (1) they use a measure of inflation which does not reflect what people actually need (houses, food, etc) and (2) they will relax the allowable bounds - atm the target is 2% CPI, but they do nothing when it exceeds 3%. Expect a more generous target, 5%.

What index doesn’t have food in it? 

HOLA443
HOLA444
17 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

All of the house price indices?

OK sigh "what INFLATION index doesn't have food in it?" is what I meant because that poster was suggesting the government's plan was to lie about inflation by having an index without food or housing?

Housing's omission is glaring and we have discussed it often.  The idea that the UK official inflation rate would ever exclude food is silly, so I'm calling it out as such.

HOLA445
14 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

OK sigh "what INFLATION index doesn't have food in it?" is what I meant because that poster was suggesting the government's plan was to lie about inflation by having an index without food or housing?

Housing's omission is glaring and we have discussed it often.  The idea that the UK official inflation rate would ever exclude food is silly, so I'm calling it out as such.

I think the suggestion (or the way I read it) is the inflation measure can be amended and indeed manipulated by government by adding and removing certain items. For example remove stuff that people don’t really need because it’s going up in price eg milk, bread and add in things which have remained static eg beef jerky and blow fish. (examples for humorous effect obviously)😉

HOLA446
2 hours ago, Pop321 said:

I think the suggestion (or the way I read it) is the inflation measure can be amended and indeed manipulated by government by adding and removing certain items. For example remove stuff that people don’t really need because it’s going up in price eg milk, bread and add in things which have remained static eg beef jerky and blow fish. (examples for humorous effect obviously)😉

I know - and that's my problem with this.  People perennially grumble about it being all a fix, but no-one ever comes up with any concrete examples.  They just complain when diving goggles (or whatever) is added to the index saying "well I don't own any and nor does anyone I know so it's clearly all a fix" when actually most of the index by weighting is on key items like food, energy, petrol etc.

As far as I'm concerned, the index isn't manipulated at all.   However, it doesn't contain housing and that is a glaring error in methodology.

No-one has ever managed to actually find any data whatsoever to convince me that my friends who work for the ONS (and I do actually have some) are spending their days concocting lies on government instruction.

HPC frankly makes me so angry I wonder why I even come here.  I have asked moderators before where the "Delete my account" feature is and got no response. 

HOLA447

1) An independent way of heating your house not reliant on gas/electricity. Gas shortages or power outages could happen without the world collapsing. We installed a wood burning stove last year, partly because it is nice in the winter, but I hastened the install so if gas/elec goes down I can still keep the kids warm

2) Some dry rations in case of food shortages (Could be from panic buying, fuel/HGV shortages, or anything that disrupts the supply chain). A few years ago I bought a months supply I store in the loft. They contain all the nutrients you need to survive. Can't remember the web site but it is something about emergency supplies, plenty out there.

3) Water containers and purification tablets. Water is often overlooked because it is plentiful, but if the taps stop for whatever reason, water becomes urgent. Isn't the list for human survival something like air - water - food?  If you get some warning, fill those containers from the taps. If not, collect rain water / river water but you should treat it else risk getting a bug. I have the tablets and some big garden containers, but I should really get a few large indoor water containers. If things are looking grim, fill your bath and put plastic over the top. Use it to drink and poo in a hole :)

4) Keep your fingers crossed things won't go so bad those items above aren't enough!

HOLA448

In a true SHTF scenario you'd best have skills that make you valuable to others around you. That's they way it will go- tribal. I know exactly where I'd go, who I trust, and what skills and equipment we all bring to the party.

Luckily I am pretty rural and no kids yet. I would dread such a scenario living in a town with two kids. As it is, I quite look forward to it.

@scottbeard- Rather than have a hissy fit because there's no 'delete' button, you just stop posting mate. But please don't because I enjoy your posts.