House Price Crash Forum

Over 40s to pay more tax

HOLA441
4 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Its difficult to find accurate stats. The gov't must be hiding them.  I think you should ask those working in the private sector or abroad in other health systems how they feel I think they're better rewarded and more satisfied.  Currently there is a shortage of 40,00 nurses in the UK so it can't be that attractive ?  We also raid other countries (poorer countries who could do with them) for their nurses and healthcare professionals.  I think that is a really morally depraved policy.

Not surprised there is a shortage......there has been very little training for years, I know because people I know have wanted to be trained in the NHS were directed by their MP to look for training in the private sector.?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
1 minute ago, winkie said:

Not surprised there is a shortage......there has been very little training for years, I know because people I know have wanted to be trained in the NHS were directed by their MP to look for training in the private sector.?

Bupa must be doing something right. People are voting with their feet 

Today, Bupa is an international healthcare company serving around 17.5 million health insurance customers, around 15.8 million patients in our clinics, hospitals and dental centres, and 22,000 residents in our care homes and villages.

HOLA443
HOLA444
14 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

British nurses don't bugger off, the UK doesn't train enough of them in the first place. My wife is a nurse and she loves the job, I mean really loves it. I spent 6 hours of Saturday at a barbecue with her work colleges (ward manager etc) and F... me they would stop talking about work. Money wise and pension wise its a very stable income and they can work anywhere on the planet. Can wreck your body eventually so you have to switch to less physical work as you get older.

My wife was a nurse also. She didn't need a university degree to do it either. Get rid of that nonsense.

HOLA445
13 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Most of what he posts is tripe. He should post less and fact check what he does post before he posts it.

You have the right to reply. 

I think its criminal nurses are paid 18-37k considering the demands of their job. Same for teachers too.  These jobs should be much more financially rewarding and WOULD BE in a private system. Go see what a nurse earns in the US or Australia> I haven't checked but i bet its a third as much as here .

Edited by Warlord

HOLA446
24 minutes ago, Warlord said:

The testing is done by a private company (Astra Zenica ) in partnership with the NHS

So with all the so called capacity, why can't they test those coming back from overseas so that any negative result (which will be the majority) will no longer have to quarantine and can go back to earning a living with caution staying aware??

HOLA447
3 minutes ago, winkie said:

So with all the so called capacity, why can't they test those coming back from overseas so that any negative result (which will be the majority) will no longer have to quarantine and can go back to earning a living with caution staying aware??

I have no idea ... ask the NHS they run the system but contract it out. The resources are limited is my guess.

Edited by Warlord

HOLA448
27 minutes ago, Warlord said:

The US system is not a fully free market system. There are many regulations and restrictions at federal and state level however they have among the best health outcomes in the world and many of the leading experts/treatments and drugs.

Best health outcomes if you can afford to pay for it. 

HOLA449
1 minute ago, Chunketh said:

Best health outcomes if you can afford to pay for it. 

Millions have private health insurance and get the healthcare  (among the best in the world).

My mother died in A&E in an NHS hospital. No care  and not even the dignity of a bed or a room. 

Edited by Warlord

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Just now, Warlord said:

I would rather have a private/market based system ran by the likes of BUPA than the current system, yes.

So under your utopian free market system. What happens if you are born poor?

How do you survive childhood with no public healthcare? How do you get educated?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
23 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Millions have private health insurance and get the healthcare  (among the best in the world).

My mother died in A&E in an NHS hospital. No care  and not even the dignity of a bed or a room. 

Where do you live?.......I would hate to live in a country where those fortunate to have a job and money have insurance get top service and the rest are treated as second class citizens, less of a person than the rest.......the inequality and health inequalities in America and other health insurance only countries is not nice to see.....not a pretty sight.

Sorry to hear of your mother's experience, but I would say most people get excellent care given by our doctors and nurses.......this is about paying for care in the community, when a frail, sick or elderly person leaves the care of the hospital.......?

Edited by winkie

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The insurance industry is big business.....money made from fear and what might happen, take pet insurance, before pet insurance was widespread, vet bill were affordable, now if they know insurance is involved skies the limit.....average vet bill now £700........take accidental death cover, only £5 a month £60 pa......what is the probability of dying from an accidental death very, very, low......you can work out the math and the potential profits.?

Edited by winkie

HOLA4417
4 minutes ago, winkie said:

The insurance industry is big business.....money made from fear and what might happen, take pet insurance, before pet insurance was widespread, vet bill were affordable, now if they know insurance is involved skies the limit.....average vet bill now £700........take accidental death cover, only £5 a month £60 pa......what is the probability of dying from an accidental death very, very, low......you can work out the math and the potential profits.?

When I was young I had pets and I remember the vet bills being sky high then too 

Someone has to pay for the vet .S/he is skilled and has to study for years. If it was government run they too would get 27k and no one would bother! 

Edited by Warlord

HOLA4418
4 minutes ago, Warlord said:

How did we do it between 1700-1950?

The NHS was created in 1948, so no universal healthcare before then. Infant mortality has dropped tenfold since 1921. Yes a lot of that is antibiotics, but without universal healthcare that isnt guaranteed.

Education is much more complicated. The church ran a lot of it pre 1900, then state funded education started to show its face. We didnt reach compulsory state education to the age of 16 until 1973.

The past really wasn't that great. 

HOLA4419

Oh here's another one

XUjP5uoH_400x400.jpg

And apparently it should be an act of atonement to then older generations:

"Introducing a comprehensive and reliable system of system like that in Germany and Japan would “arguably [be] an appropriate act of national atonement after the catastrophic loss of life we’ve seen in care homes during the pandemic.”"

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/over-40s-to-pay-more-tax-under-plans-to-fix-uk-social-care-crisis/ar-BB17djVT

Yeah, pay up bitches.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4420
3 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

The NHS was created in 1948, so no universal healthcare before then. Infant mortality has dropped tenfold since 1921. Yes a lot of that is antibiotics, but without universal healthcare that isnt guaranteed.

Education is much more complicated. The church ran a lot of it pre 1900, then state funded education started to show its face. We didnt reach compulsory state education to the age of 16 until 1973.

The past really wasn't that great. 

Really?  We had the industrial revolution. and become massively prosperous

All without gov't education, healthcare, pensions, the Department of Trade and Industry or whatever else .

HOLA4421
5 minutes ago, Warlord said:

When I was young I had pets and I remember the vet bills being sky high then too 

Someone has to pay for the vet .S/he is skilled and has to study for years. If it was government run they too would get 27k and no one would bother! 

No it was not......have had dozens of pets, I have never purchased pet insurance, put what would have paid in insurance into an account to cover if need be......credit balance.

Same for the insurance cover on white and electrical goods......never bought it, never needed it.?

HOLA4422
Just now, Warlord said:

Really?  We had the industrial revolution. and become massively prosperous

All without gov't education, healthcare, pensions, the Department of Trade and Industry or whatever else .

This is true. We also :

Didnt have universal suffrage

Kept slaves until 1833

Had a ridiculous infant mortality rate

Had a life expectancy half that what it is today 

Like I said, the past really wasnt that great. Get those rose tinted specs off.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
2 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

This is true. We also :

Didnt have universal suffrage

Kept slaves until 1833

Had a ridiculous infant mortality rate

Had a life expectancy half that what it is today 

Like I said, the past really wasnt that great. Get those rose tinted specs off.

It's not rose tinted though if you study history.

The period of 1700 - 1900 was the most expansionist economically known to man and we had: no income tax and a gold standard. Money actually mean't something and prices were stable or fell.  Fortunes were made and in some cases lost (banks weren't bailed out in those days they actually went under and rightly so)