House Price Crash Forum

More than 30,000 UK retailers in 'significant' financial distress

HOLA441
5 minutes ago, winkie said:

Already the €2 shop....selling the same stuff.?

Rarely used them as stuff is often overpriced at £1 and sometimes poor quality to boot.

So when I asked in one of them how much a pack of Finish x 52 tablets was (thinking it would £2 and something of a bargain) the assistant replied £5. As I didn't immediately know if that represents value, I declined.

They must buy a lot of bankrupt stock, not bankrupt enough for retailing at £1. When they go bust presumably they buy it back off themselves - no? 

Oh wait, that is what they'll do.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
8 hours ago, winkie said:

A £1 is a benchmark of currency.......inflation can only mean shrinkflation or reduced quality, which has happened......few items that people buy on their own now cost less than £1....next, to do away with copper coins?.....?

Doing away with copper seems to pop up every now and then and gets rejected every time even though 1p buys less now than the farthing did when it was discontinued.

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA444
22 hours ago, aheadofthecurve said:

One of these days they are gonna stick a sneaky '2' in front of the shop name and catch you unawares :D 

poundland is the only place i feel i have the confidence to never look at the price. 

if you need to ask the price you are not rich enough, poundland gives me confidence.  

all hail the poundland 

HOLA445
22 hours ago, winkie said:

Not everything in there is worth a pound.......you may be overpaying.?

There are still plenty of people that never look at price, never have done, they have no need to, they prefer scarcity and originality....the kick is they can buy it knowing millions can't.......a price worth paying......as someone used to say on here, special flowers.......we all need the special flowers

you already answered that 

HOLA446
HOLA447
On 14/01/2019 at 12:50, longgone said:

poundland is the only place i feel i have the confidence to never look at the price. 

if you need to ask the price you are not rich enough, poundland gives me confidence.  

all hail the poundland 

My £5 box of Finish was in Poundland.

I thought you should be told.

HOLA448
HOLA449
15 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/15/marks-and-spencer-stores-close-m-and-s-hull

Marks & Spencer closes 17 more stores in new blow to high street

M&S outlets in Bedford, Hull, Huddersfield and Rotherham among those to be axed with 1,000 jobs at risk

Surprised they have lasted as long as they have. I get the impression that shopping in 'cheap' shops really has lost any stigma it had in the past. In fact I think the concept of the savvy shopper who collects coupons and shops in Aldi is far more mainstream and 'cool' than people who shop somewhere simply because it is exclusive and more expensive.

HOLA4410

M&S food is good quality but they'd be better served with more small stores catering for the working lunch trade. The giant retail spaces filled with multiple versions of the same old people clothes are just a waste of rent. Still, another British institution falls from grace. According to someone who went to work for them (and left) their legacy systems are incredibly slow and out of date and the HQ culture is very much 'this is the way it has always been done'. A shame. 

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

M&S food is good quality but they'd be better served with more small stores catering for the working lunch trade. The giant retail spaces filled with multiple versions of the same old people clothes are just a waste of rent. Still, another British institution falls from grace. According to someone who went to work for them (and left) their legacy systems are incredibly slow and out of date and the HQ culture is very much 'this is the way it has always been done'. A shame. 

They would be even better if they reduced the excess plastic they cover their products with....far too much packaging, more than other food outlets......a Christmas food gift had more weight in packaging and air than food....?

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, winkie said:

They would be even better if they reduced the excess plastic they cover their products with....far too much packaging, more than other food outlets......a Christmas food gift had more weight in packaging and air than food....?

Can't speak for their food but I did get some vouchers to spend in M&S as part of a promotion at an old job and found myself in their wine aisle. As somebody who rarely finds themselves staring down the barrel of anything more than a £10 bottle of plonk it was surprising to see how expensive their wines were. The £40 chateauneuf du pape was quite nice though :D In my wine-pauper opinion.

Edited by aheadofthecurve

HOLA4413
15 minutes ago, aheadofthecurve said:

Can't speak for their food but I did get some vouchers to spend in M&S as part of a promotion at an old job and found myself in their wine aisle. As somebody who rarely finds themselves staring down the barrel of anything more than a £10 bottle of plonk it was surprising to see how expensive their wines were. The £40 chateauneuf du pape was quite nice though :D In my wine-pauper opinion.

Not saying they are all bad, but their old USP was to sell 100% British made goods apart from wine and cheese?......now there is little different to what else is out there..... Waitrose v M&S food....who will be the most innovative and forward thinking??

Edited by winkie

HOLA4414
On 15/01/2019 at 17:54, winkie said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/16/marks-spencer-selling-loose-fruit-veg-plastic-waste

Marks & Spencer is to start selling more than 90 lines of loose fruit and vegetables free of all plastic packaging, in a trial that will put the traditional greengrocer back on the shop floor and revive the use of paper bags

HOLA4415
50 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/16/marks-spencer-selling-loose-fruit-veg-plastic-waste

Marks & Spencer is to start selling more than 90 lines of loose fruit and vegetables free of all plastic packaging, in a trial that will put the traditional greengrocer back on the shop floor and revive the use of paper bags

I mean it sounds like a great idea until you get some grotty ******* sneezing all over it and touching it with their hands before putting it back. :D 

HOLA4416

Loose veg? Great. Wish my local Tescos wasn't going in the other direction, they hardly ever have loose potatoes and I don't get through a packet before some of them have had it and are destined for the compost heap (where they end up growing half the time, must see if I can get some free spuds from that).

HOLA4417
12 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

So what other retailers have been doing for years......I was thinking more about the excess of plastic trays, cardboard plastic netting and cellophane over virtually everything they sell.......they were saying that when archeologists examine layers of the soil in the future our age will be the age of plastic, the plastic layer age......?

HOLA4418
13 hours ago, aheadofthecurve said:

I mean it sounds like a great idea until you get some grotty ******* sneezing all over it and touching it with their hands before putting it back. :D 

Like most people, I don't have a local greengrocer and buy from a supermarket. I must admit that I am a bit of a fruit squeezer! It helps gauge the maturity of the product.

It's just that I am sick of buying fruit that is not what it appears to the eye. For instance, in a hurry, I will buy a bunch of green, supposedly unripe, bananas thinking they will be fine for use at the end of the week. Only to get home and find that inside some are soggy and starting to rot already. To confuse me supermarkets now do 'ripen at home' packs of bananas.

Something to do with the refrigeration transport/forced ripening process - i.e. messing with nature?  I suppose that's the price we pay for enjoying citrus fruits in winter.

Edited by frankief

HOLA4419
22 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Loose veg? Great. Wish my local Tescos wasn't going in the other direction, they hardly ever have loose potatoes and I don't get through a packet before some of them have had it and are destined for the compost heap (where they end up growing half the time, must see if I can get some free spuds from that).

If your compost heap is in a position with lots of natural light you will be able to grow decent potatoes.  If it is overshadowed by trees forget it, you will be lucky to get anything the size of a golf ball.

Assuming you have the light, try and get hold of half a dozen car tyres, yes, I said car tyres. 

Grow the spuds in earth in the first car tyre. When the leaves are almost a foot tall, place the second tyre on top of the first and add earth. Then again, repeat when the plant is taller. Three tyres is likely enough.

What will happen is that in the summer, water will collect in the interior of the tyre and the spud should grow seriously huge. Tyres should cost little or zero as there is a disposal charge when you buy new ones or scrap a car.

I did this for someone when working as a gardener and they were successful, some seriously big spuds. When I did it on my allotment, I put my hands into the earth and found a modest spud and a fresh lamb chop!!  A fox had stolen it and hidden it in there, so I put it back and checked two days later by which time it had been eaten by the fox, presumably. Foxes understand refrigeration it seems. The bonus was I saw and heard a nightingale as I'd gone there just after dark.  

You must not use first early or second early potatoes. Early means how long it takes to grow, not when planted. I believe the right type are called main crop.

I claim to be a world leader in fatuous information.

• 1 year later...
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Doing away with copper seems to pop up every now and then and gets rejected every time even though 1p buys less now than the farthing did when it was discontinued.

They also did actually do away with real copper in the coins as it became viable to melt the coins down for a profit. Now they are some alloy. 

HOLA4423