House Price Crash Forum

EU residents s@dding off due to brexit

goldbug9999

HOLA441
1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

Are you ever going to acknowledge that most of the eastern EU countries are not in the euro, so the £:€ exchange rate means nothing?

It doesnt matter.

The EE i ask always use the € as there point of reference. The stuff tgey buy back home is price in €. My fruends mum would drives to germany for her big 2 week shop.

HOLA442
HOLA443
10 hours ago, spyguy said:

It doesnt matter.

The EE i ask always use the € as there point of reference. The stuff tgey buy back home is price in €. My fruends mum would drives to germany for her big 2 week shop.

Polish supermarkets, estate agents and utility companies price their goods in € do they?

Also if things in eastern Europe are priced in €, why would your friend's mum drive to Germany to do her shopping? It would be like driving from Kent to Sussex to arbitrage the currency. The reason it was worthwhile for your friend's mum to drive to Germany is because she was earning in [eastern European currency] and could get more purchasing power by spending it in the eurozone due to the exchange rate.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
39 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Sure, and they use Euros.

You talk some right ********.

Im just reporting what Im told.

Ive known a Polish woman since 2004. Her parr ts were part of what was tge ussr techocracy. 

Anything i want to know, i ask. She helps out in a catholic aid centre.

HOLA447

Just making the observation that the zloty and the euro plots are not in absolute lock-step with each other. 

I would've thought it if they pay their bills in zloties it would be the pound/zloty rate that would be uppermost in their minds.

Anyhow, if we were worried by the exchange rate we'd have put the interest rate up by now.  Clearly we want the pound down for whatever reason.

HOLA448
23 hours ago, spyguy said:

Im just reporting what Im told.

Ive known a Polish woman since 2004.

You should get a better source. Poles don't think in (Euros and more than we do) and don't shop in Germany (Poland is one of the cheapest places in Europe to buy food)

HOLA449
10 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

You should get a better source. Poles don't think in (Euros and more than we do) and don't shop in Germany (Poland is one of the cheapest places in Europe to buy food)

Nope.

EE food may be cheap but its sh1t.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39900362

Poles/Solevenes I know shop in Germany. There'ssome snobbery to saying you shop there but the choice and quality exceeds what you can buy in EE countries.

Meat and bread - yep they shop locally.

Supermarket shop  - tins and things - they go over the border.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
On 26/08/2017 at 8:25 AM, Peter Hun said:

Get rid of all the immigrants and it will still be true. Going to start on the locals next? Deport the chavs? The unemployed? 

Yes, it will still be true. I'm not "starting" on anyone, just because I see the madness in making a bad situation worse and find anything that relieves the pressure (or far more accurately just slows down the rate of increase of pressure) as better news than carrying on before. Why is it that certain people always leap to stupid comments along the lines of deporting people in response to that?

HOLA4412
On 8/28/2017 at 8:22 PM, spyguy said:

Nope.

EE food may be cheap but its sh1t.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39900362

Poles/Solevenes I know shop in Germany. There'ssome snobbery to saying you shop there but the choice and quality exceeds what you can buy in EE countries.

Meat and bread - yep they shop locally.

Supermarket shop  - tins and things - they go over the border.

Slovenia doesn't have a border with Germany. They would have to get across the Austrian alps first.

Why would anybody drive hundreds of km to buy tinned tomatoes?

HOLA4413
45 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Slovenia doesn't have a border with Germany. They would have to get across the Austrian alps first.

Why would anybody drive hundreds of km to buy tinned tomatoes?

Slovaks!

Im just relating stuff Ive been told.

Fresh meat _ bread and stuff like that they buy locally.

Proessed/tin stuff they travel to Germany.

They dont trust the local supermarkets.

HOLA4414
1 minute ago, spyguy said:

Slovaks!

Im just relating stuff Ive been told.

Fresh meat _ bread and stuff like that they buy locally.

Proessed/tin stuff they travel to Germany.

They dont trust the local supermarkets.

Slovakia is even further from Germany than Slovenia.

You may want to consider the accuracy of your source. Or maybe she just has a mental mum who thinks the tinned tomatoes she buys in Slovakia (which come from the same factory in southern Italy as everybody else's tinned tomatoes) are rubbish.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4415

If they don't have jobs (or loads of money), then they should be leaving.

They are welcome to return if they have evidence of employment/or are permitted to under whatever regulation the Sovereign Government of the UK decides is applicable.