House Price Crash Forum

Report reveals scale of food bank use in the UK  

HOLA441

Trainee nurses don't get the living wage.

also anyone can become disabled, you might have a stroke tomorrow.

you wont be able to drive.

you won't be able to work.

you'll need carers to help you adjust until you can reprogram your brain with therapy.

your home will need adjusting.

all of this will take weeks before the government gets around to giving you any help

you'll need disability payments which will take weeks to come through. You'll need to be assessed first and that will take time.

if you haven't got any money saved, you may need to go to a food bank.

hopefully you can survive on the disability payments.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
On 30/05/2017 at 8:27 PM, regprentice said:

Neighbour works at a food bank majority of people going have short term benefits or social problems (a week to sort out underpaid benefits no cash advance available at the ds office, reported for co-habiting and had benefits stopped at short notice, couple split and the husband/boyfriend take the cash from the kitty and disappear.)

A lot of people, especially those on drip feed benefits payments, dont get to build up cash for emergencies - i live on a council estate and for every family milking the system (3 adhd kids, motability merc or audi) there is another family honestly struggling.

At my local food bank its all tinned potatoes, bacon offcuts, happy shopper budget pasta. You wouldnt be taking it unless you needed it....

It is depressing that we have a benefits system which is both too generous to some and not enough for others.   I think doing it at a local level might be the solution.

BTW if it weren't for a sense of honesty I would take free happy shopper budget pasta.

HOLA443
1 hour ago, Stu1 said:

Trainee nurses don't get the living wage.

also anyone can become disabled, you might have a stroke tomorrow.

you wont be able to drive.

you won't be able to work.

you'll need carers to help you adjust until you can reprogram your brain with therapy.

your home will need adjusting.

all of this will take weeks before the government gets around to giving you any help

you'll need disability payments which will take weeks to come through. You'll need to be assessed first and that will take time.

if you haven't got any money saved, you may need to go to a food bank.

hopefully you can survive on the disability payments.

Before Blair being a student nurse was wonderful.  A friend was doing it in 1992 she got £5 k pa bursary and paid £44pcm for rent in central London.

HOLA444
HOLA445
1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

Before Blair being a student nurse was wonderful.  A friend was doing it in 1992 she got £5 k pa bursary and paid £44pcm for rent in central London.

Know many SRN that once received a bursery some lived in nurses accommodation close to the hospitals they trained in, some no longer in the nursing profession.....now they don't want to invest in training nurses or doctors or carers of the frail and elderly......no longer interested in upskilling and training when they can import skills, trained by others, ready willing and able, that is the truth.;)

HOLA446
6 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

My girlfriend is a student allied health profession. She gets a 5k bursary. It's 2017 though, and we pay > £1000pcm between two. Bursary covers the rent alone. No student loan or tuition fees, but it does mean that day to day living depends on her savings.

Kind of insane - I was wondering where 5k came from, turns out they've never changed it.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

On a related note, as they are similar to food banks & housing related as outbuildings.

I wondered what the hpc hive mind thinks of "Shelter Banks" Where People Can Collect Materials to Build Basic Shelters

http://www.shelterbank.co.uk

This idea of mine has not progressed much, as I am struggling to get other local groups involved.  The idea is given away on an open source basis, if anyone has time / resources to give to it. 

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4410
On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, maverick73 said:

I don't consider £19k nurses salary a worthwhile career pursuing.;)

It's 21-28k for a  newly qualified nurse. This rises considerably with more responsibility, ward sister 60k, Macmillan Nurse etc... up to 50k . I believe the average is in the lower 30ks.

That is well deserved and probably needs to be higher.

However, don't you think this nurses using foodbanks meme is rather insulting to the 80% of the population who live on less and don't go to New York for shopping trips like the nurse who is being used as a propaganda tool.

It's great mischief making for the core Labour support and the Question Time audience see it as good  theatre and an excuse to lynch the Tory. This sort of crap, meanwhile,  really annoys the struggling masses who get by without moaning on half that money and is the sort of nonsense that infuriates people into voting Tory.

Basic starting salary........

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/adult-nurse

Macmillan........

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/?vac_ref=914632703&utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4411

just so you know the Tories are getting rid of the student nurse 5k bursary. It was in the November budget.

In September 2017, NHS bursaries paid to students will be cut and replaced with loans.

this is likely to put off students becoming nurses

it's a way of sneakily undermining the NHS

a vote for the Tories = a weaker NHS :(

HOLA4412
1 minute ago, Stu1 said:

just so you know the Tories are getting rid of the student nurse 5k bursary. It was in the November budget.

In September 2017, NHS bursaries paid to students will be cut and replaced with loans.

this is likely to put off students becoming nurses

it's a way of sneakily undermining the NHS

a vote for the Tories = a weaker NHS :(

The fairness of nurses salaries and conditions of training hasn't really got anything to do with foodbanks. If you start to uses an above average paid career, even if they deserve more money, as a propaganda tool for foodbanks it is wrong. It is mischief making plain and simple, how do you think it makes zero hour contract Deliveroo drivers feel who manage on half the money and don't have recourse to a foodbank.

HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

The fairness of nurses salaries and conditions of training hasn't really got anything to do with foodbanks.

ok well lets look at full time nurses

According to a press release the RCN Foundation awarded over 500 financial hardship grants to working, retired, trainee, or unemployed nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants in the UK in 2016. The Foundation says that one in four grants went to a full-time nurse.

HOLA4414
10 minutes ago, Stu1 said:

ok well lets look at full time nurses

According to a press release the RCN Foundation awarded over 500 financial hardship grants to working, retired, trainee, or unemployed nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants in the UK in 2016. The Foundation says that one in four grants went to a full-time nurse.

Anybody can get themselves into a financial mess and that includes better paid professionals than nurses. Labour are just using the nursing profession because it is emotive and mischief making, it plays well to the party faithful. Meanwhile for the struggling masses who get by on a lot less it is just bloody annoying....the taxi driver, the Diliveroo contactor, the market trader.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4415
5 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Anybody can get themselves into a financial mess and that includes better paid professionals than nurses.

anybody...

30% of the population, 19 million people, are now below the "minimum income standard"

The number below MIS has risen by 4 million since 2008/9, or a 5 percentage point rise

11 million people have incomes below 75% of MIS and are at high risk of poverty

8 million people are just about managing to get by

HOLA4416
3 minutes ago, Stu1 said:

anybody...

30% of the population, 19 million people, are now below the "minimum income standard"

The number below MIS has risen by 4 million since 2008/9, or a 5 percentage point rise

11 million people have incomes below 75% of MIS and are at high risk of poverty

8 million people are just about managing to get by

Indeed, so why not show their plight instead of using a professional person who might have made bad financial choices and is not one of those 19 million.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4417
On 01/06/2017 at 7:26 PM, Sour Mash said:

I've seen adults just grab sandwiches or bags of crisps and start eating them as they walk around the Tesco (multiple stores), or a can of energy drink.  No idea if they pay at the checkout but I would suspect, not (I'm certainly not going to trail them around the supermarket).

Even if they do, WTF is wrong with them - do they have no concept of how to act in public or the tiniest bit of self-control? "Oh, me hungry.  Ah, sandwiches!  Me eat sandwich now!"

No self discipline. God knows how our country would manage in a real crisis eg. war and rationing.

I would have thought it is a good lesson to teach kids whilst at the supermarket, the goods do not belong to you until you have paid (in cash) at the checkout and got a receipt.

Same goes for houses, cars, phones etc.

HOLA4418
25 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Indeed, so why not show their plight instead of using a professional person who might have made bad financial choices and is not one of those 19 million.

are you saying the 8 million JAMs doesn't include professionals?

HOLA4419

Food banks......so when a household has a monthly income, not always regular not always the same what bills, expenditure should come first in order of priority.....

a. Rent. b. Mortgage. c. Debts ie min cr card repayments, high APR emergency loans. d. PCP and other car payments. e. council tax. f. TV license. g. water. h. electricity/gas. i. telecommunications, phone, broadband. j. other contracts tied into ie. tv, gym club, k. transport to and from work inc fuel for car......or FOOD.?

HOLA4420

Why do nurses' wages always get brought into these types of discussions? Would nurses still be able to do their jobs if the thousands of other occupations keeping hospitals open and supplied all decided that it wasn't worth getting out of bed for what they are being paid? It's perfectly fine for all those workers keeping the infrastructure of the county running to be underpaid, priced out and using food banks of course. 

HOLA4421
33 minutes ago, Tiger131 said:

Why do nurses' wages always get brought into these types of discussions? Would nurses still be able to do their jobs if the thousands of other occupations keeping hospitals open and supplied all decided that it wasn't worth getting out of bed for what they are being paid? It's perfectly fine for all those workers keeping the infrastructure of the county running to be underpaid, priced out and using food banks of course. 

This is probably why, coupled with a bit of political manipulation / heart string pulling.

Fully qualified nurses start on salaries of £21,692 rising to £28,180 on Band 5 of the NHS Agenda for Change Pay Rates. Salaries in London attract a high-cost area supplement. With experience, in positions such as nurse team leader on Band 6, salaries progress to £26,041 to £34,876.

Roughly 50% over minimum wage on 40hr week.

HOLA4422
22 hours ago, winkie said:

On the subject of food.......why are so many products full of sugar, to the degree of being sickly?;)

Because the more sugar in a product, the greater the quantity a person will eat...even if it is curry, or soup, or cheese.

HOLA4423
On 6/2/2017 at 9:41 AM, iamnumerate said:

I think doing it at a local level might be the solution.

And this is how it used to be. Communities have always had a social responsibility to each other, and would assist the genuinely needy; they also knew the circumstances of everyone, unlike our anonymous form-filling bureaucrats, so would shame the malingerer. The only purpose of the state was to provide defence of the nation, which required top-level planning and coordination. Now we have palmed off all kinds of responsibilities on to the state, and, surprise, surprise, it is costly and inefficient, all almost all humanity has been lost. Does anyone still sweep the pavement outside his house? No, the council ought to do it, right?

HOLA4424
19 hours ago, ChewingGrass said:

Roughly 50% over minimum wage on 40hr week.

I don't think people fully realise how in the real world private sector inflation adjusted wages are stagnating or rolling back. A younger colleague at work who recently left thought there were going to be quids in being paid 35k in their new job, I chucked to myself knowing that people were getting paid that doing the same job 20 years ago when everything was a lot cheaper.

HOLA4425
6 hours ago, Tiger131 said:

I don't think people fully realise how in the real world private sector inflation adjusted wages are stagnating or rolling back. A younger colleague at work who recently left thought there were going to be quids in being paid 35k in their new job, I chucked to myself knowing that people were getting paid that doing the same job 20 years ago when everything was a lot cheaper.

20 years ago you probably didn't need a degree to do the same job for less money!