House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Report reveals scale of food bank use in the UK  

Report reveals scale of food bank use in the UK  

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/29/report-reveals-scale-of-food-bank-use-in-the-uk-ifan

There are at least 2,000 food banks operating in the UK, giving out emergency food parcels on a weekly basis to people in hardship, according to research that shines fresh light on the rapid growth of charity food provision in austerity Britain.

The research complements established information on UK food bank use compiled by the Trussell Trust, Britain’s biggest food bank network, which collects extensive data from its members and recently reported that it gave out a record 1.2m food parcels to families and individuals in need in 2016-17, the ninth successive year in which demand had risen..

Emerging results from the mapping project undertaken by the Independent Food Aid Network (Ifan), confirm that the Trussell figures represent only a partial picture of the scale of organised food bank provision, and suggest that the level of food bank use is far greater than headline figures indicate.

Ifan’s findings, seen by the Guardian, suggest that there are at least 651 grassroots food banks operating independently of the Trussell network, ranging from tiny voluntary groups that give out a few food parcels each week, to larger charity operations that hand out thousands of parcels to hundreds of clients each year.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Problems will arise in the future when those that are giving to food banks have to cut back.

Charity begins at home, and may soon not cross the threshold of the doorstep.

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew

Food is cheap compared with rents and capital and interest debt repayments......if all you have to pay for is your food, you are rich.;)

13 minutes ago, winkie said:

Food is cheap compared with rents and capital and interest debt repayments......if all you have to pay for is your food, you are rich.;)

view_13_Hansel-und-gretel_eye_jpg.jpgget building... oh wait it's another trap  ;)

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

My wife went to a. Child's birthday party on sunday ...on her return I enquired about "the party bag", anyone with a child will know of these wonderful containers of magic, happiness, bubbles and sugar hits.

My wife said...oh...they didn't do them, they don't have any money.

That's a measure of where the UK is. 

I was. Glad in a way. Party bags should not be compulsory...nor should much of the s###e surrounding children be. Either.

Kids may have left crying but they'll have learned something.

I hope.

Long live. The party bagless party.

Was an eye opener for my wife.

2 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

My wife went to a. Child's birthday party on sunday ...on her return I enquired about "the party bag", anyone with a child will know of these wonderful containers of magic, happiness, bubbles and sugar hits.

My wife said...oh...they didn't do them, they don't have any money.

That's a measure of where the UK is. 

I was. Glad in a way. Party bags should not be compulsory...nor should much of the s###e surrounding children be. Either.

Kids may have left crying but they'll have learned something.

I hope.

Long live. The party bagless party.

Was an eye opener for my wife.

Around here in NW england Tescos are giving free fruit to kids in store, perhasp they could fill up a bag for the kids. I always enjoyed a tangerine & nuts in the xmas sock I hung up  

17 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Around here in NW england Tescos are giving free fruit to kids in store, perhasp they could fill up a bag for the kids. I always enjoyed a tangerine & nuts in the xmas sock I hung up  

Might well come to that.

TPTB have missed the chance to sort out the UK. Collapse in UK finances all but guaranteed now I think.

4 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

I noticed that here to in Oxon.  I guess an apple is cheaper than letting them have a bag of sweets for a quid and putting the rest of the bag down before checkout.  Honestly, I've seen people walk past me, open stuff up and give them to their kids and I've always wondered, do they actually pay for them in the end?  I know my mum wouldn't of done that for me, if I screamed or something it would b early bed and clip round the ear.  OK you can see I'm getting old, just not old enough to enjoy discount fish & chips and to old for free fruit?

I doubt there are very many people in this country who genuinely require a food bank.

Oats, potatoes, frozen vegetables, all dirt cheap. Too poor? Too bone idle to cook more like.

21 hours ago, giggler000 said:

I noticed that here to in Oxon.  I guess an apple is cheaper than letting them have a bag of sweets for a quid and putting the rest of the bag down before checkout.  Honestly, I've seen people walk past me, open stuff up and give them to their kids and I've always wondered, do they actually pay for them in the end?  I know my mum wouldn't of done that for me, if I screamed or something it would b early bed and clip round the ear.  OK you can see I'm getting old, just not old enough to enjoy discount fish & chips and to old for free fruit?

U used to do that. Let my son have a fruit juice or such like on the way round. Always put the empty bottle on the conveyor though.

My friend used to let his kids have a bag of grapes which they munched as he shopped. He would also put the half eaten bag on the conveyor. He never realised that they were priced by weight so he was actually nicking the eaten grapes.

1 hour ago, WinstonSmith said:

I doubt there are very many people in this country who genuinely require a food bank.

Oats, potatoes, frozen vegetables, all dirt cheap. Too poor? Too bone idle to cook more like.

There is that of course......but to cook requires a cooker, cooking utensils, a place to store the food not in the top right hand corner of a shared fridge with a microwave....a freezer helps, so can buy in bulk, can buy, grow, and store when reduced or cheap surpluses in abundance......some people have never boiled an egg, cooking classes like managing finance classes are not something that is taught in schools.....parents who do not cook, or manage their money well do not pass down that knowledge to their children, so they do not grow or cook or know what to buy or how to shop for food.....;)

Anyway doing stuff yourself from scratch is not good for the economy, would be better to buy take away, eat out, and buy big corporation tinned, frozen all done for you warm up foods and not that healthy processed foods.....anyway most food bank foods are foods that are non perishable warm up style food, not always healthy, but fills a hole.

About 30% of food is (or was) discarded, a lot of it by the supermarkets themselves.

I guess they have to actually pay to dispose of this via waste contractors.  Disposal costs have risen a lot in recent years.

Also it is not allowed to feed it to pigs, since the foot and mouth outbreak a few years ago..

Previously, when they had these cheaper disposal routes, it wouldn't have been in their interest to give away surplus food.  Now, the balance has shifted and market forces encourage more food banks.

That is why we have food banks I bet.

Food waste is huge, from farms to shops and in the home......supermarkets should reduce more food to sell rather than thow it away.....it would encourage more people to visit their stores, they will purchase other goods as well as the decently reduced, at sell by or the not 100% good looking fruit and veg.....all looks the same when peeled/cooked/eaten or frozen.;)

Neighbour works at a food bank majority of people going have short term benefits or social problems (a week to sort out underpaid benefits no cash advance available at the ds office, reported for co-habiting and had benefits stopped at short notice, couple split and the husband/boyfriend take the cash from the kitty and disappear.)

A lot of people, especially those on drip feed benefits payments, dont get to build up cash for emergencies - i live on a council estate and for every family milking the system (3 adhd kids, motability merc or audi) there is another family honestly struggling.

At my local food bank its all tinned potatoes, bacon offcuts, happy shopper budget pasta. You wouldnt be taking it unless you needed it....

5 hours ago, WinstonSmith said:

Wasn't there some Scottish nurse recently who was banging on about how she had to use a food bank because the NHS pay was so bad.

The dailymail or similar then looked at her wide open Facebook page, to find she had recently been on a trip to New York.

Nurses are paid better than about 50% of the population, so if they are starving, then so are half of us !

3 minutes ago, kzb said:

Nurses are paid better than about 50% of the population, so if they are starving, then so are half of us !

I don't consider £19k nurses salary a worthwhile career pursuing.;)

On 29/05/2017 at 8:03 PM, giggler000 said:

I've seen adults just grab sandwiches or bags of crisps and start eating them as they walk around the Tesco (multiple stores), or a can of energy drink.  No idea if they pay at the checkout but I would suspect, not (I'm certainly not going to trail them around the supermarket).

Even if they do, WTF is wrong with them - do they have no concept of how to act in public or the tiniest bit of self-control? "Oh, me hungry.  Ah, sandwiches!  Me eat sandwich now!"

On 30/05/2017 at 3:43 PM, WinstonSmith said:

I suppose sitting at home on your computer it's easy to say you've surveyed more than a million food bank users.

"Many people arriving at food banks have experienced a number of personal shocks in succession – bereavement, the loss of a job, illness – but between half and two-thirds of users end up at food banks because of problems with benefits. This includes delayed payments, changes to benefits such as the reduction in Disability Living Allowance and financial penalties known as sanctions. "

"Sam and Joe (their names have been changed at their request, as have others in this article) have been together for just over two years. They met at work, at a supermarket in Hertfordshire. It’s just as well they have each other, they told me, because they don’t have much else. Most days they eat once. They wait until as late as they can possibly manage, then they have a meal of rice or potatoes or (“if we can afford it”) bread – “anything filling”, Sam said. I met them on their second visit to Tower Hamlets Foodbank, in a church surrounded by council blocks. This east London borough has the highest rate of child poverty in the city; the average income is £11,400. I arrived ten minutes before the food bank opened and already a queue had formed outside the door.

Not long after the couple met, Joe, who is 27, left his job to move in with his grandmother and care for her while she was dying of cancer. Then Sam’s mental health grew worse and she found she could no longer work. She thinks she is suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome – she was abused as a child and left home at 15, and before she met Joe she had been in a string of violent relationships – but she has been waiting for months to see a psychiatrist. When Joe’s grandmother died, they were not allowed to keep on her tenancy. They thought they would end up homeless, but just in time they found somewhere to stay. The problem was that for two months their housing benefit didn’t come through. “We’re just sort of stuck at the moment,” Sam said."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/why-are-so-many-people-using-food-banks

All of which requires the credulity to buy the b#llocks they come out with.

Or were you expecting them to just come out and say "I pi## all my money up the wall on cider, fags and scratch cards. Then I come here and they give me free food."?

But, hey, you have a new statesman story so i bow before your great insight.

3 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

I've seen adults just grab sandwiches or bags of crisps and start eating them as they walk around the Tesco (multiple stores), or a can of energy drink.  No idea if they pay at the checkout but I would suspect, not (I'm certainly not going to trail them around the supermarket).

Even if they do, WTF is wrong with them - do they have no concept of how to act in public or the tiniest bit of self-control? "Oh, me hungry.  Ah, sandwiches!  Me eat sandwich now!"

That's precisely why, because they have ZERO idea how to behave in public.

2 hours ago, Stu1 said:

I suppose sitting at home on your computer it's easy to say you've surveyed more than a million food bank users.

"Many people arriving at food banks have experienced a number of personal shocks in succession – bereavement, the loss of a job, illness – but between half and two-thirds of users end up at food banks because of problems with benefits. This includes delayed payments, changes to benefits such as the reduction in Disability Living Allowance and financial penalties known as sanctions. "

"Sam and Joe (their names have been changed at their request, as have others in this article) have been together for just over two years. They met at work, at a supermarket in Hertfordshire. It’s just as well they have each other, they told me, because they don’t have much else. Most days they eat once. They wait until as late as they can possibly manage, then they have a meal of rice or potatoes or (“if we can afford it”) bread – “anything filling”, Sam said. I met them on their second visit to Tower Hamlets Foodbank, in a church surrounded by council blocks. This east London borough has the highest rate of child poverty in the city; the average income is £11,400. I arrived ten minutes before the food bank opened and already a queue had formed outside the door.

Not long after the couple met, Joe, who is 27, left his job to move in with his grandmother and care for her while she was dying of cancer. Then Sam’s mental health grew worse and she found she could no longer work. She thinks she is suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome – she was abused as a child and left home at 15, and before she met Joe she had been in a string of violent relationships – but she has been waiting for months to see a psychiatrist. When Joe’s grandmother died, they were not allowed to keep on her tenancy. They thought they would end up homeless, but just in time they found somewhere to stay. The problem was that for two months their housing benefit didn’t come through. “We’re just sort of stuck at the moment,” Sam said."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/why-are-so-many-people-using-food-banks

So who draws the line Stu? Most people work because they need to support a certain life style  - the closer the welfare availability gets to the amount they earn then more people stop working and what happens then

of course there are thousands of genuine claimants but there will be thousands who make a choice because it's better than paying for stuff 

7 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Give out free food and they will come.

The other issue is flexible working and inflexible claims system so food banks aren't necessarily for absolute poverty but about bridging a gap between claim and money.

Soon all will be working or go hungry. The benefit system is being shrunk to get them back into work. Help those with disabilities into jobs. Guaranteeing 10% of workforces be over the age of 50, and extending the retirement age to 70... They want the whole country working on minimum wages... :lol:

1 million people on food banks is just wrong.

no system is perfect, you might get a few none claimants abusing the system but so what? I'd rather have a few abusers and the people getting the help they need.

there is a lot worse things in the world.