House Price Crash Forum

Where to get decent quality casual boots

jfk

HOLA441

I need some new quality casual boots. I have smartish work shoes that I leave in work, I've got a pair of brogue DMs boots that are nicely breaking in and smart enough for work too, what I do need is a replacement for my goretex ankle boots I bought from Clark's in a sale about 3-4 years ago. They've lasted pretty good but are looking a bit scuffed and worn.

I'm after non-poncey cas boots, good quality that will not fall apart in 6 months, buy cheap-buy twice.

Any ideas o great HPC?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
1 minute ago, DrMartinSanchez said:

They have Timberland and Dunlop boots. More expensive than the rest, but durable.

ah good call, just had a look on their website spotted some timberlands that are do-able, will have to look in person *shudder*

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
7 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

Both my Dr Martens shoes and boots are in remarkable condition after 3 years of every day use.

Yeah got a pair of DM brogue boots last year and they still look pretty much as new after the initial breaking in (forgot what fun that was).

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

https://www.clifford-james.co.uk/buy.cfm/mens-boots/chelsea-boots-mens-real-leather-boots/68/no/52324

Two pairs of all leather (including soles) chelsea boots for £45 + p+p

Dont laught cos they're cheap. Supple leather with glued and stitched soles. I get them rubber soled at a cobblers and they last for years. Half sizes to boot (if you'll pardon the pun)

HOLA4413
9 hours ago, jfk said:

Yeah got a pair of DM brogue boots last year and they still look pretty much as new after the initial breaking in (forgot what fun that was).

I'm there right now with a pair of DM chelsea boots. Can barely walk at the moment!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
2 hours ago, Hail the Tripod said:

They'll make your feet feel so disgusting that you'll bin them well before they break apart, so I wouldn't worry about durability.

I remember buying a cheap pair of boots from there as a student. They were awful. Split along the bit where the sole meets the shoe within a month, underside of sole split too.

Buy cheap buy twice as they say

HOLA4416
3 hours ago, Craig_ said:

I'm there right now with a pair of DM chelsea boots. Can barely walk at the moment!

Forgot what joy it was too. Haven't worn DMs for years, initially it's the 2 pairs of socks treatment, then give them some manual twisting and turning. Have to only wear them once a week initially for them to supple up.  How I love those blisters at the back of the heel!

HOLA4417

I swear by desert boots, I buy a pair annually. About £30 locally for a good quality pair.

Great for everything light and comfy to wear, only downside you have to brush them clean...

Had DM's as a youngster but they make your feet sweat and then comes the odour.

HOLA4418
On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, longtomsilver said:

Both my Dr Martens shoes and boots are in remarkable condition after 3 years of every day use.

As a child mine used to last me one year of daily use. By that time the insole had collapsed and the soles were as smooth as glass. 

If you're getting over 3 years use out of them them you aren't actually doing much activity in them. I suppose as a child I was doing about 30,000 steps a day involving plenty of football, kicking, climbing and running in them.

HOLA4419
6 hours ago, the gardener said:

As a child mine used to last me one year of daily use. By that time the insole had collapsed and the soles were as smooth as glass. 

If you're getting over 3 years use out of them them you aren't actually doing much activity in them. I suppose as a child I was doing about 30,000 steps a day involving plenty of football, kicking, climbing and running in them.

They must have come along way since then. I'm no less active than my military days and the Dr Marten's are as durable as my old combat highs once were. My daily step count averages 18,000 including a few canal walks and hill climbs a week. 

HOLA4420

I've got a pair of DM's that I've had for a minimum of 10 years, possibly more like 15. I don't wear them daily at the moment but I would say I did for a good 5+ years at least. Got them re-soled end of last year, but thats only because I've a bit of an odd walk and they wear unevenly, the general condition of the soles however was still excellent. 

The uppers are still in pretty much perfect condition, although it was £60 to get them done, then again a new pair would have been £225. 

They used to all be made in the UK, however now a bulk of the production is in China. You pay a premium for the UK made ones. 

HOLA4421

Casual boots to me at walking / hiking boots. I have no problem with Mountain Warehouse.

What I do suggest though, with Easter approaching, is that we are starting to see lots of sales of boots by various etailers. If you know what you want there could be bargains to be had between now and Good Friday. Debenhams have a good sale today in some boots dependent upon your shoe size.

HOLA4422
7 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Casual boots to me at walking / hiking boots. I have no problem with Mountain Warehouse.

What I do suggest though, with Easter approaching, is that we are starting to see lots of sales of boots by various etailers. If you know what you want there could be bargains to be had between now and Good Friday. Debenhams have a good sale today in some boots dependent upon your shoe size.

yeah lots of blue cross sales at debenhams. unfortunately only in either very small or very large feet! ... will keep on searching

HOLA4423

+1 for DM boots in terms of durability although may be truth in making your feet sweat a bit.  

Re sports direct I know a lot of "brands" they sell are no longer but rather bought up by sports direct on the cheap and then definitely made completely differently. Karrimore is one example, used to be amazing quality, thought I found a bargain years back on a pair of boots but learned that karrimore was not the same as I thought!  Dunlop I think is likewise although could still be OK shoes?  Timberland surely not under the sports direct umbrella... Also meant to buy a pair. 

My feet are a bit picky (wide). Ecco campers and merrell work well although camper I think is not so durable and nowadays tends to be more fashion over function at least in my experience.

HOLA4424

Archived