House Price Crash Forum

Memory foam mattress

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441
1 hour ago, ChewingGrass said:

I bought the vacuum pack version which is solid foam and has no springs at all. Sounds like yours is finished off with foam on the sleeping faces almost like a memory foam topper.

I have found the rolled vacuum packed one fab as I have two crushed discs. The only thing I dont like is that they are hot to sleep on, however I have mitigated this by using a summer quilt all year round.

Yep, foam on top of springs. If I had known what I know now I would have just gone for the spring basic and bought a foam topper or investigated something else.

I use an electric blanket on my bed and I wonder if that has weakened or made the foam brittle in some way.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
2 hours ago, ChewingGrass said:

I bought the vacuum pack version which is solid foam and has no springs at all. Sounds like yours is finished off with foam on the sleeping faces almost like a memory foam topper.

I have found the rolled vacuum packed one fab as I have two crushed discs. The only thing I dont like is that they are hot to sleep on, however I have mitigated this by using a summer quilt all year round.

I have one of those vacuum foam mattresses on one of the kids beds. I bought it as a short term solution quite a few years back but it's ended up lasting fantastically well. I recently bought one of my kids an ottoman bed base, one with a solid bottom not one that just sits on the carpet with a fabric bottom, and the mattress works even better with that base than the previous wooden slat bed. 

HOLA444

Daughter bought a super-king one from somebody who'd paid about £1k for it, and then hated it.  Daughter paid about £250.  

Daughter and then bf liked it at first, but later found it too hot, and decided the bed was too big for the room anyway.  Sold it to someone else for a bit more than they'd paid for it.  

We had a Vi Spring mattress (and base) that lasted over 25 years, no sagging at all.  Got it in the sales for way below usual price because it was an odd size, between king and super king.  Hence no fitted sheets or mattress covers in shops to fit.  Had to pay twice the price to a co. that makes any size to measure.  (Keys of Clacton, if anyone else has a funny sized bed.) 

HOLA445
HOLA446
18 hours ago, Battenberg said:

I have one of those vacuum foam mattresses on one of the kids beds. I bought it as a short term solution quite a few years back but it's ended up lasting fantastically well. I recently bought one of my kids an ottoman bed base, one with a solid bottom not one that just sits on the carpet with a fabric bottom, and the mattress works even better with that base than the previous wooden slat bed. 

Yes, mine is on a solid base as well and truly gives fantastic support with no roll-together.

HOLA447
HOLA448
On 18/01/2017 at 2:29 PM, Frank Hovis said:

My current mattress , not much over two years old, is not in a good state at all.  I was thinking of buying the Premier Inn bed & mattress and in researching it found this review which was very informative and told you everything that you wanted to know about mattresses.

I am partly posting this so I can find it again when I come to buy my next one.

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/premier-inn-mattress-review-alternatives/

I bought my mattress from there, an "Artisan Naturals", after a recommendation on this board probably five years ago or more. I have to say it is incredibly comfortable, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed to.

HOLA449
On 19/01/2017 at 10:18 PM, The Masked Tulip said:

I use an electric blanket on my bed and I wonder if that has weakened or made the foam brittle in some way.

Ive had a plastic bottle (is that the right word? Sounds odd) of talcum powder on the bathroom window untouched for at least 2 years (frosted glass, not much direct sunlight) and just gave it a squeeze and it crumpled like pastry. I've lost at least 99p worth of talc.

HOLA4410
23 minutes ago, Steppenpig said:

Ive had a plastic bottle (is that the right word? Sounds odd) of talcum powder on the bathroom window untouched for at least 2 years (frosted glass, not much direct sunlight) and just gave it a squeeze and it crumpled like pastry. I've lost at least 99p worth of talc.

That's more likely to be UV embrittlement rather than a heating effect.

Archived