House Price Crash Forum

US Election results - time schedule

frankief

HOLA441

Does anyone know what time the results start getting announced (GMT)? Tues night/ Weds morning?

I am keen to do an all nighter and repeat the Brexit sensation when I enjoyed seeing plenty of broadcasters eating humble pie.

But bearing in mind the time difference I am a not sure of the time schedule.

I need this information so that I can arrange beverages, snacks etc.

Or is going to bed adviseable instead?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
3 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

Yes. Have done for many years. In fact at one point when I worked in Bristol and commuted weekly to the Island, I couldn't sleep till I heard the report from St Catherine's!

Car to cat port. Bus to soton central. Cardif train to brizle.

Id make that at least 200 minutes.

Daily?

HOLA447
4 hours ago, happy_renting said:

Do you go to sleep tucked up in a warm bed listening to the shipping forecast, like I do?

Me too - but the bloody national anthem always makes me cringe to such an extent that I sometimes have to turn radio off for a minute! Always been same since uni- used to have to be Long Wave at one time.

HOLA448
5 hours ago, frankief said:

Does anyone know what time the results start getting announced (GMT)? Tues night/ Weds morning?

I am keen to do an all nighter and repeat the Brexit sensation when I enjoyed seeing plenty of broadcasters eating humble pie.

But bearing in mind the time difference I am a not sure of the time schedule.

I need this information so that I can arrange beverages, snacks etc.

Or is going to bed adviseable instead?

Yes I'd like to see similar stuff to brexit night as the American results roll in. Hoping for a trump win. The shock will be seismic!

On brexit night I started watching expecting to a see remain win unfold early on then get off to bed. Instead the entertainment was so good I stayed up all night. Hilarious.

Id like to know what time the show starts too.

Anyone know?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
55 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Car to cat port. Bus to soton central. Cardif train to brizle.

Id make that at least 200 minutes.

Daily?

Weekly. I drove. Car in Southampton, an old jalopy on the island. Was 2 hours when I started in 1988. Risen to 2.5 - 3 when I left in 1996. 

Worst commute was daily to london. Cat to soton, bus to train, train to Waterloo and tube to Paddington, walk to office. In the winter it was leave home at 6.30, return at 8 or 8.30 pm. I honestly don't know how I did it for over two years!  The only advantage was that at busy times the cat let season ticket holders on ahead of the tourist hordes. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I'm pulling an all nighter, it's the second biggest night of 2016!!! 

I only had 10 cans for Brexit night and i ran out so i am going for 15 cans tonight (& some popcorn) 

coverage starts on BBC at 10:40pm 

Can lightning strike twice? 

I better do some horses tomorrow. 

HOLA4415
12 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

Yes I'd like to see similar stuff to brexit night as the American results roll in. Hoping for a trump win. The shock will be seismic!

On brexit night I started watching expecting to a see remain win unfold early on then get off to bed. Instead the entertainment was so good I stayed up all night. Hilarious.

Id like to know what time the show starts too.

Anyone know?

Yes, Brexit night was good entertainment wasn't it!

After listening to the 'message' for weeks that we were staying in, it was so funny to see the TV presenters struggling to inform us that 'the people had spoken'.

HOLA4416

The US has a history of not publishing exit polls while the ballots is open -- which is a complication given the country spans different time zones...

But it isn't a legal obligation on the media (unlike in the UK, say) but a tradition.  

Anyway, this year there are two exit polls publishing during the election -- one is at vicenews .   Should start publishing data from 2pm UK time.

(not sure exit polls will tell the true story -- 'eat my hat', etc -- but it might be interesting.)

[It'll also be interesting to see how the markets respond during the day -- the big polling companies will be gathering data even if it isn't published, and I'd have thought that the big investment banks will have access to it even if the public don't, whether by fair or foul means.]

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
3 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

They appear to call States by exit polls initially. Telegraph guide. Not sure it is worth staying up for, seems even more forlorn than Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/what-time-us-election-results-uk-what-is-timetable-for-the-night/

Indeed -- hence the Truman/Dewey upset.

DeweyDefeatsTruman.jpg

If Trump won it would be amusing for him to repeat this with eg, the Newsweek  'Madam President' edition.

HOLA4419

Archived