House Price Crash Forum

Glastonbury 2016

workingpoor

HOLA441

Off to bit of a bad start so far........

Glastonbury festival organisers beg people NOT to travel to the site today as heavy rain causes TEN-HOUR traffic jams for drivers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3653879/Glastonbury-hit-chaos-begun-heavy-rain-brings-TEN-HOUR-traffic-jams-festival-organisers-order-people-not-drive-site.html

Those obligatory "Hunters" don't look they are going to cut it this year.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I last went to Glasto in the late 80s. I remember surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly) little of the weekend. Late 80s debauchery was pretty full on fun and the total opposite of regimented enjoyment that is reluctantly permitted at today's festivals.

HOLA444

Glastonbury festival organisers beg people NOT to travel to the site today as heavy rain causes TEN-HOUR traffic jams for drivers.

A few years back, the IOW ground to a halt when bad weather caused traffic chaos at the IOW festival.

What sort of idiot brings a car to the IOW - for the festival?

HOLA445
HOLA446

A few years back, the IOW ground to a halt when bad weather caused traffic chaos at the IOW festival.

When festivals became evolved from sex drugs and rock+rol to Volvos, Hunte wellies and corpotrate networking - hold back on the Pimms, I might get squiffy.

Kids - Just get a solar powered steroe, buy some drugs and sit in a field for a weekend. Youll have a much better + cheaper time.

HOLA447

I remember that one, they had to bring the Police in to bring some order as people tried to leave early on the last day after a weekend mudbath.

Lots of disorder apparently.

It is around £70-80 to take a car over on the Ferry from Southampton i think.

I can see why the need for a vehicle as the site is out in the middle of the island and people would have to carry all their supplies / camping equip etc on the bus.

I went to a Scooter rally there once and had to take a lengthy bus ride across the island from Cowes to Ryde.

HOLA448

You'd have thought (hoped) that the internet and social media would have led to a resurgence in "illegal" festivals and rave culture. Surely much easier to put together with Snapchat and Kik combined with GPS than Ye Olde Days of pirate radio and pager guided treasure hunts around the M25.

Trouble with kids today - they're all so damned good and well behaved.

You know, I was actually proud when mine were sent home and suspended from their boarding school for being, well, anarchists.

HOLA449

I remember that one, they had to bring the Police in to bring some order as people tried to leave early on the last day after a weekend mudbath.

Lots of disorder apparently.

It is around £70-80 to take a car over on the Ferry from Southampton i think.

I can see why the need for a vehicle as the site is out in the middle of the island and people would have to carry all their supplies / camping equip etc on the bus.

I went to a Scooter rally there once and had to take a lengthy bus ride across the island from Cowes to Ryde.

IOW - 30 minutes by ferry, 300 years from civilization.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

In the first years of the IOW festival you could sail up the river and anchor with a fine view of the main stage - total cost, IIRC, a fiver if the harbour master charged you anchorage.

Sadly, they re-orientated the stage in later years!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

At Glastonbury 2009 we were in a traffic queue for about six hours on the Wednesday, and that was a dry sunny day.

You really don't want cheap wellies at Glastonbury if you are planning to be able to walk around the whole site over 5 days, without getting blisters etc. £30 for Hunters was a good investment and they are still going strong now for country walks. Dare I say they are probably more expensive these days.

Glastonbury mud is fine until the baking sun dies it, then it becomes an ultra strong adhesive and many loose their shoes and boots to it forever.

I always watch the TV coverage but I admit I have no fcking idea who's on this year.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Not complaining as Glastonbury is close enough to busy us at the hotel.

However a couple of years ago I came across a traffic jam from those leaving Glastonbury (as is always the case ). Knowing the road I detoured and came back down the same road to discover that it was due to a BMW driver fast asleep in his car on the A37 at Pensford with a good 4 miles of queue behind him.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

At Glastonbury 2009 we were in a traffic queue for about six hours on the Wednesday, and that was a dry sunny day.

You really don't want cheap wellies at Glastonbury if you are planning to be able to walk around the whole site over 5 days, without getting blisters etc. £30 for Hunters was a good investment and they are still going strong now for country walks. Dare I say they are probably more expensive these days.

Glastonbury mud is fine until the baking sun dies it, then it becomes an ultra strong adhesive and many loose their shoes and boots to it forever.

I always watch the TV coverage but I admit I have no fcking idea who's on this year.

Weren't Hunter sold off to some Chinese buyer who quickly reduced the quality and upped the price? I think they're about £90 now. The reviews are dire. They won't last that long, I'd opt for Dunlop.

HOLA4419

Weren't Hunter sold off to some Chinese buyer who quickly reduced the quality and upped the price? I think they're about £90 now. The reviews are dire. They won't last that long, I'd opt for Dunlop.

Indeed. Mrs JTB's 25 year old Hunters were replaced a few years ago and she expected the same quality and longevity. 18 months later they'd fallen apart and were binned. I did a bit of research and found that they'd offshored all their production to China. Idiots. They're risking the brand - a brand that *would* have withstood chunky price rises (look at the competition in the branded welly market - you can pay hundreds).

HOLA4420

Massive import tax on wellies from China - one of the things Brexit could fix :)

HOLA4421

Indeed. Mrs JTB's 25 year old Hunters were replaced a few years ago and she expected the same quality and longevity. 18 months later they'd fallen apart and were binned. I did a bit of research and found that they'd offshored all their production to China. Idiots. They're risking the brand - a brand that *would* have withstood chunky price rises (look at the competition in the branded welly market - you can pay hundreds).

Glastonbury is a brand...... ;)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I have a pair of Dunlop steel toecap wellies that were issued to me in 1985. Still going strong.

I see your 1985 and raise you 1982. Issued on my summer vacation job. I have only ever owned this one pair of wellies and certainly don't need any new for some time yet if ever.

HOLA4425

I suppose the drifting of this thread from an oversubscribed, and possibly now uncool festival, to the quality of rubber boots is usual OT stuff. I wouldn't want to attend Glastonbury, and have no particular knowledge of rubber boots, although I am disappointed the Hunters are no good any more. I'll bet the Queen has a really old pair or two. :blink:

Archived