House Price Crash Forum

Startup Offers Landlords Continuous, Deep Surveillance Of Tenants' Social Media

HOLA441
HOLA442

Sample email for would-be tenants...

Hi John

Sorry, but I'd rather you didn't call round this weekend. The last time you called, your bicycle left a small chip on the paint work by the front door. That simply isn't acceptable. Matching that 1950's paint won't be easy, so I'll probably redo the skirtings and architraves throughout the flat.

You know I like to give the whole place a thorough cleaning each week, and if there's time on Sunday, I'm also doing the outside windows and clearing the gutters. Next weekend I'll really make that cooker shine, inside and out!

John, I'm afraid your lifestyle of late nights, love of alcoholic drinks and playing music is the absolute opposite of my own. As for having girls round, what do you think my Sunday School class would think of that sort of behavior?!!

The landlord's been very reasonable in allowing my posters of Fergus and Judith Wilson to remain up on the kitchen wall, so as a gesture, I've bought some basic gardening tools, and although I'm on the third floor, over summer I intend to whip the garden into shape. The first floor couple don't seem to realise we have to protect our landlord's investment. It's his pension, after all.

Got to go. The front steps don't scrub themselves.

By the way, isn't Cherie Blair marvellous!

Yours

Juvenal

Edited by juvenal

HOLA443

Hi John

Sorry, but I'd rather you didn't call round this weekend. The last time you called, your bicycle left a small chip on the paint work by the front door. That simply isn't acceptable. Matching that 1950's paint won't be easy, so I'll probably redo the skirtings and architraves throughout the flat.

You know I like to give the whole place a thorough cleaning each week, and if there's time on Sunday, I'm also doing the outside windows and clearing the gutters. Next weekend I'll really make that cooker shine, inside and out!

John, I'm afraid your lifestyle of late nights, love of alcoholic drinks and playing music is the absolute opposite of my own. As for having girls round, what do you think my Sunday School class would think of that sort of behavior?!!

The landlord's been very reasonable in allowing my posters of Fergus and Judith Wilson to remain up on the kitchen wall, so as a gesture, I've bought some basic gardening tools, and although I'm on the third floor, over summer I intend to whip the garden into shape. The first floor couple don't seem to realise we have to protect our landlord's investment. It's his pension, after all.

Yours

Juvenal

SvMXFpUi.jpg

:D

HOLA444

As I said on the other thread this was mentioned, this is an absolute disgrace....butcan't help but think it'd be interesting to know what they'd make of mine. Would break the algo.

* utterly solvent - tick

* no debt - ever - tick

* professional job with decent income - tick

* good education and skills - tick

* keep self in good shape - tick

* social media littered with posts about people farmers, ponzi schemes, debt junkies, banker sociopaths, politician psychopaths, corporate welfare ...the list goes on - ..divide by zero, stack overflow, core dump.

HOLA445
Guest TheBlueCat

THIS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL, AND SHOULD CARRY A PRISON SENTENCE

Well, it looks to me as if they're selling credit broking services so, just like Equifax etc., are legally required to be registered with the FCA. I can't find any record that would indicate they are, so it's entirely possible it is illegal. I've reported them, let's see what comes back.

HOLA446

As I said on the other thread this was mentioned, this is an absolute disgrace....butcan't help but think it'd be interesting to know what they'd make of mine. Would break the algo.

* utterly solvent - tick

* no debt - ever - tick

* professional job with decent income - tick

* good education and skills - tick

* keep self in good shape - tick

* social media littered with posts about people farmers, ponzi schemes, debt junkies, banker sociopaths, politician psychopaths, corporate welfare ...the list goes on - ..divide by zero, stack overflow, core dump.

Very similar to mine.

Except I always mention Satan, Death Metal, Slayer, Sepultura, lots of swearing, Zerohedge.

On purpose.

I have stopped using Facebook and now changed my personal details on there. Sadly, wife hasn't yet grasped that she's a product for these sharks.

HOLA447

Hi John

Yours

Juvenal

I've lived in a shared house where the landlord lived across the road. That all sounds very familiar. We used to have to keep our curtains almost permanently closed because of it.

Edited by spacedin

HOLA448

I wonder if there will eventualy be a backlash against the very idea of social media as it dawns on people that once their personal data is 'out there' it's impossible to control the uses to which it can be put- applying for a job, renting a house- and soon even a car- perhaps even joining in some kinds of social or leisure activities may all soon require the submission of one's online data as a requirement for access.

And if some overhyped AI system claims to have discovered deep flaws in your personality based on it's incomprehensible algorithmic machinations then good luck with arguing against it's judgements- it will be your word against a computer and given the way we tend to deify technology that is not a fair fight.

Those people who argue against the idea of online anonymity are looking pretty silly right now, given the fact that anything you do post online can and probably will one day be used against you.

HOLA449

Whats the problem? As I always say to my tenants when they move in, I'll be visiting from time to time, if you've got nothing to hide you won't have a problem with that, am I right? Delivered with a wink and a smile It usually gets their attention at least.

Thing is some of these people don't know they're born, once I popped round to check on one of my lot on the way back from a slap up dinner at Alfredo's with the wife. Just gone ten oclock on a saturday night, I knocked and no reply so naturally I let myself in, thought I'd conduct the quarterly check on the hoof so to speak. I walk into the lounge and hear noises from upstairs so I'm immediately suspicious then whilst I'm coming out of the kitchen into the lounge I'm confronted with a caucasian youth, stark b*ll*ck naked looking shall we say not too pleased to see me, I didn't recognise him as one of my tenants and luckily the girl I put in the loft came downstairs to retrieve this stranger before things got out of hand. Needless to say she recieved a letter through the post the very next day headed "Section 21", which I'm sure persuaded the other six housemates not to harbour illegal non payers if they wanted to stay a day longer. Not on my watch anyway!

Give em an inch and they take a mile is my experience of generation rent.

HOLA4410

I wonder if there will eventualy be a backlash against the very idea of social media as it dawns on people that once their personal data is 'out there' it's impossible to control the uses to which it can be put- applying for a job, renting a house- and soon even a car- perhaps even joining in some kinds of social or leisure activities may all soon require the submission of one's online data as a requirement for access.

And if some overhyped AI system claims to have discovered deep flaws in your personality based on it's incomprehensible algorithmic machinations then good luck with arguing against it's judgements- it will be your word against a computer and given the way we tend to deify technology that is not a fair fight.

Those people who argue against the idea of online anonymity are looking pretty silly right now, given the fact that anything you do post online can and probably will one day be used against you.

The Californian millionaires who own these life invader technologies aren't especially visible on them. There's a big hint right there. Snowden's revelations about the intimacy these creeps have with the NSA, another.

Goog co-founder Sergey Brin has admitted to 'not being a very social person.' Despite his company doing everything it can to document and superintend every aspect of our waking lives. As for the Facebook crowd? Go take a look at The Social Network. You wouldn't really want any one of them as a friend.

HOLA4411
Guest TheBlueCat

Whats the problem? As I always say to my tenants when they move in, I'll be visiting from time to time, if you've got nothing to hide you won't have a problem with that, am I right? Delivered with a wink and a smile It usually gets their attention at least.

Thing is some of these people don't know they're born, once I popped round to check on one of my lot on the way back from a slap up dinner at Alfredo's with the wife. Just gone ten oclock on a saturday night, I knocked and no reply so naturally I let myself in, thought I'd conduct the quarterly check on the hoof so to speak. I walk into the lounge and hear noises from upstairs so I'm immediately suspicious then whilst I'm coming out of the kitchen into the lounge I'm confronted with a caucasian youth, stark b*ll*ck naked looking shall we say not too pleased to see me, I didn't recognise him as one of my tenants and luckily the girl I put in the loft came downstairs to retrieve this stranger before things got out of hand. Needless to say she recieved a letter through the post the very next day headed "Section 21", which I'm sure persuaded the other six housemates not to harbour illegal non payers if they wanted to stay a day longer. Not on my watch anyway!

Give em an inch and they take a mile is my experience of generation rent.

The problem is that you've done such an accurate impression of Fungus there that the humour falls flat. People like that truly have moved beyond parody!