House Price Crash Forum

Stress Free Ways To Earn 200 A Week For A Couple Of Days Work

HOLA441

Doing my sums I need about 200 a week to live very well on the lifestyle I want.

After many years of stressful long hours I want something simple that is mildly enjoyable.

Tried warehouse work, enjoyed the exercise for the first two hours, then became bored. really bored.

I've been trying to get into gardening, but lots of this work is hoovered up by boomers "volunteering" and lots of full time people are struggling.

I thought about Lidl, but all their workers looks miserable as fck.

Any other suggestions?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I hear there's good money to be made down at the docks?

Doing favours for sailors, my Lord.

Seriously, I read a long article recently on the BBC website comparing careers in the East India company with the likes of the modern equivalents of Google, Facebook etc.

Conclusions drawn were that work is sh1t and always has been; it's who you know rather than what you know; and that you can profit from the system to an extent if you put in the years, but only at the cost of your life, health and sanity.

Still £200pw isn't a huge sinecure. There should be some role available somewhere paying that, that isn't too onerous.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Are you good at repairing anything?

Computers

Cars

Plumbing

Electrics

Carpentry

Push bikes

Or there's windows washing, gets you out in the fresh air

Or

Delivery driver

Customer service

The first question you should ask yourself though is "what do I enjoy doing" work from that answer and you'll be set.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest eight

Doing my sums I need about 200 a week to live very well on the lifestyle I want.

After many years of stressful long hours I want something simple that is mildly enjoyable.

Tried warehouse work, enjoyed the exercise for the first two hours, then became bored. really bored.

I've been trying to get into gardening, but lots of this work is hoovered up by boomers "volunteering" and lots of full time people are struggling.

I thought about Lidl, but all their workers looks miserable as fck.

Any other suggestions?

People are generally being poorly rewarded for slaving like dogs. If there was any opportunity for doing what you describe I think it might already be a bit.... oversubscribed?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I earn about £200 a week working maybe two full days on average. Some weeks I'll earn nothing and some I'll earn a couple of grand. I'm self employed working on my own in building/windows/oddjob type work. I'm looking for permanent work at the moment as I miss working with other people and being part of a team. That's coming from a misanthropist like me!

HOLA4414

People are generally being poorly rewarded for slaving like dogs. If there was any opportunity for doing what you describe I think it might already be a bit.... oversubscribed?

I think it's because people are looking for traditional jobs.

The old very small employers (one or two staff plus boss) have declined because of the huge regulations that apply over employing anybody (latest, you have to enrol them in a pension) and the VAT registration threshold.

Whilst most of us are used to working for somebody the best route for a low wage / low hours job is to go it alone. How many people do you know that want a good plumber, decorator, builder, chimney sweep etc.? Loads. So there's as much work or as little work as you want there.

Get on your local college course and do it.

An entirely unpractical girl I know could not get somebody to sort out the woodowrk in her front room and in desperation did a course and did it herself!

HOLA4415

Fast food delivery?

A friend of mine quit his full time job and now takes shifts delivering pizza. He says he's happy with it

I did that for a while about 20 years ago, it paid about £25 a night (probably £35 these days NMW)

i used to finish up my shift with a pocket full of change in tips and a free pizza to take home.

I enjoyed it wasn't too taxing although i did get robbed on one occasion in a local council estate,

some youths broke into an empty flat and ordered 4 pizza, they opened the door with a pit bull snapping at me grabbed the pizzas and slammed the door. I beat on the door for while then went back to the shop the owner called the Police and they went to investigate came back and reported that the youths had broken a window at the rear to gain entry.

I still laugh about it now how ingenious they were lol

Edit: if anyone goes down the Pizza delivery route remember the golden rule "money first"

You can also violently shake the pizza in the box to slide all the topping off if someone is about to rob you ;-)

HOLA4416

Thanks some great advice, I do think a variety of crappy jobs would be alright. I've actually got all the stuff to chimney sweep (from doing my own), hate doing mine and getting dust everywhere but would be fine doing other peoples places. Might need to get a few more sheets.

I like the idea of delivery driver, but I thought these days it was lots of people in their own cars expected to do 300 drops a day? I've heard of driving jobs for hospitals - taking samples and what not. That sounds ideal, but haven't seen it listed anywhere.

Not really, im just looking for 200 a week. Most people need at least double this for a very bare existence.

HOLA4417
Guest eight

Not really, im just looking for 200 a week. Most people need at least double this for a very bare existence.

Can you not engineer the circumstances to make some kind of assault on the byzantine tax credits system? I've managed to blag our finances so we get about £50/week, albeit for one year only.

HOLA4418

Thanks some great advice, I do think a variety of crappy jobs would be alright. I've actually got all the stuff to chimney sweep (from doing my own), hate doing mine and getting dust everywhere but would be fine doing other peoples places. Might need to get a few more sheets.

I like the idea of delivery driver, but I thought these days it was lots of people in their own cars expected to do 300 drops a day? I've heard of driving jobs for hospitals - taking samples and what not. That sounds ideal, but haven't seen it listed anywhere.

Hospital ones are volunteer drivers AFAIK. Certainly the motorcyclists that carry blood.

Although with 45p a mile you can do quite nicely on the mileage. I used to do a weekly 400 mile trip and got £160 mileage (it was 40p then), actual fuel cost £40. £120 tax feee per week before I actually did any work.

You get mileage for driving people to appointments also, a mate used to do it.

So for £200 you'd need to do 600 miles per week (£270 income, £60 cost).

All tax free, drops after 10k miles IIRC.

HOLA4419

Heard of a few folk who do ok from delivering new cars from dealerships to folk over the country. I imagine you get a train ticket back and paid for your time. Few times a week would probably cover you for £200.

HOLA4420
Guest eight

Heard of a few folk who do ok from delivering new cars from dealerships to folk over the country. I imagine you get a train ticket back and paid for your time. Few times a week would probably cover you for £200.

That was how Jackie Stewart got started.

HOLA4421

Can you not engineer the circumstances to make some kind of assault on the byzantine tax credits system? I've managed to blag our finances so we get about £50/week, albeit for one year only.

I highly doubt it, I have no children as I'm saving the environment and this seems to make you the bottom of the pile.

HOLA4422

Hospital ones are volunteer drivers AFAIK. Certainly the motorcyclists that carry blood.

Although with 45p a mile you can do quite nicely on the mileage. I used to do a weekly 400 mile trip and got £160 mileage (it was 40p then), actual fuel cost £40. £120 tax feee per week before I actually did any work.

You get mileage for driving people to appointments also, a mate used to do it.

So for £200 you'd need to do 600 miles per week (£270 income, £60 cost).

All tax free, drops after 10k miles IIRC.

Ah I see, I wonder if there are longer distance ones that are paid?

I looked into driving people - apparently it paid 50p a mile. But my car is 2 door and you need at least a 4 door here to do it.

HOLA4423

That sounds good thanks, I'll look into this and won't mention the several times i've scratched hire cars and not turn up in my highly scratched car.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived