House Price Crash Forum

Business Coaching - Actioncoach, Any Good?

knock out johnny

HOLA441

My business partner is trying to get me to cough up the money for business coaching with the ActionCoach group.

YOu basically pay for mentoring and advice to grow your business from one of their agents (who are in fact franchisees)

It's not so much the expense, it's just all the rah-rah razamatazz. The guy who started it all is an australian named Brad Sugars who everyone is in awe of and did a presentation in London this week about how great his business coaching was (I was dragged by my business partner to the presentation and it basically consisted of 2 1/2 hours of an australian shouting at a room about how successful he was and how we too could use his business coaching - everyone was lapping it up, but it felt very cult like)

Has anyone experience of ActionCoach - I'm incredibly sceptical by nature compounded with the fact my business partner worked 5 years in the states where it's all 'think like a winner to be a winner' mindset

It's not so much the money (although it's still money!)

Advice and experience greatly appreciated

ps

there is no wiki page for company or the owner, which always makes me suspicious

If you can be bothered

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

He say he has and is super super rich - just can't find anything about him on the web

Why would he tell you then? :blink:

Must have been born cynical, me! :(

HOLA445
HOLA446

IMO, if you don't know what needs to be done to improve your business, it's time to GTFO.

The issue is not knowing what needs to be done to improve the business, it's actually doing it.

I agree - while I'm not so arrogant as to say I know everything about growing my business, a lot of what he was saying hit me as 'stating the bleedin obvious' with buzzy key words and flip charts - I don't know how to talk my business partner out of it as he thinks I'm a Debbie Downer about everything (which I'll admit, I am), but he's raving about it

HOLA447

I agree - while I'm not so arrogant as to say I know everything about growing my business, a lot of what he was saying hit me as 'stating the bleedin obvious' with buzzy key words and flip charts - I don't know how to talk my business partner out of it as he thinks I'm a Debbie Downer about everything (which I'll admit, I am), but he's raving about it

Sounds like your business has a good balance then.

Typically in a business the salespeople/management are the optimists and the techs/people that have to do the work are the pessimists.

The key is to not let one or the other take over, otherwise you end up in a world of shit.

I have worked in businesses where consultants have been bought in. Normally its not because they are needed, but because the senior partners in the business can't actually say what they need to say to each other, or won't take advice from each other. It's normally a very expensive way to get told what you already know, but by someone who is "neutral" and has no history. A bit like a marriage guidance counsellor. I say neutral because often the consultants will just parrot whatever the people who pay their wages say. And their skill is often not figuring out whats needed in the business, but backing the right horse so they can reap in the cash.

HOLA448

I think it depends. My ex-wife worked for a business coaching company and I attended one of their seminars. It was a a sort of glorified monopoly game where teams had to run a business over several cycles. I thought it was quite good in showing junior employees concepts that they might not be aware of. For example I didn't realise that even if you make a profit it can take a long time for payment to come through, so if you don't plan properly you can go bust. They also did other things like 'soft skills' - negotiation, conciliation, etc.

I would personally avoid the more Americanised, shouty rabble rousing types who are all about 'personal motivation' etc because I think that's a separate issue to running a business. Somebody like Tony Robbins has some good ideas but his in your face, evangelical preacher approach appeals more to Americans than Brits.

HOLA449

the very best people in any discipline (including business) have coaches / coaching

I suspect it depends on the people involved

the very, very best are unlikely to be touting for business

the gent in the video is touting for business on behalf of his franchisees - some of them are likely good coaches, others surely aren't

HOLA4410

I know someone who is doing very well as an Action coach. Only problem is he used to work for me and I had to get rid of him as he was lazy and incompetent.

As pipllman says, the best coaches don't go touting themselves - they're just good business people and often very happy to help others.. I'd recommend contacting your local chamber of commerce and seeing if they know of someone appropriate locally. Alternatively, and this has worked for me, identify businesses you really like and contact the right person and ask them to provide a bit of mentoring or possibly a non-exec position and you could find someone really good. I actually contacted someone (cold call) who founded a business in an industry I was starting a company in, but he'd grown it and sold it. He was more than happy to help out and was really beneficial to the business for several years.

HOLA4411

I think it depends. My ex-wife worked for a business coaching company and I attended one of their seminars. It was a a sort of glorified monopoly game where teams had to run a business over several cycles. I thought it was quite good in showing junior employees concepts that they might not be aware of. For example I didn't realise that even if you make a profit it can take a long time for payment to come through, so if you don't plan properly you can go bust. They also did other things like 'soft skills' - negotiation, conciliation, etc.

I would personally avoid the more Americanised, shouty rabble rousing types who are all about 'personal motivation' etc because I think that's a separate issue to running a business. Somebody like Tony Robbins has some good ideas but his in your face, evangelical preacher approach appeals more to Americans than Brits.

You only need to do three things to run a business :

Sell products/services for more than they cost to make/deliver.

Ensure you have enough cash to operate.

Obey the law.

So the three above and you will run a business, that will continue to run. Whether it will be successful or not is another issue.

Re the cash to operate, there is a wise saying, turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, but cash is king.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest TheBlueCat

Any kind of coaching service run as a franchise is likely to be utter b0ll0cks. I think there is some value in coaching - everyone occasionally needs a second perspective on things - but you should treat it like looking for a suitable therapist, not something you can just buy off the shelf.

HOLA4415

Sounds like your business has a good balance then.

Typically in a business the salespeople/management are the optimists and the techs/people that have to do the work are the pessimists.

The key is to not let one or the other take over, otherwise you end up in a world of shit.

I have worked in businesses where consultants have been bought in. Normally its not because they are needed, but because the senior partners in the business can't actually say what they need to say to each other, or won't take advice from each other. It's normally a very expensive way to get told what you already know, but by someone who is "neutral" and has no history. A bit like a marriage guidance counsellor. I say neutral because often the consultants will just parrot whatever the people who pay their wages say. And their skill is often not figuring out whats needed in the business, but backing the right horse so they can reap in the cash.

Got it in one! Gold Star! :blink:^_^

HOLA4416

Company I subbed for got one of these types in. 6 months contract to change the culture of the firm.

Sadly the Boss is still there, the staff are publicly happy clappy about their personal "sparkle" and are out on "team building" trips once a quarter.

turnover of staff is just as high, the boss is still there.

neither real problem solved.

HOLA4417

If you are in business with a bloke who thinks that hiring this person would be if any use, you need to get out of business with this person. Also, could you let him know I have some magic beans I'd like to sell him.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

If you are in business with a bloke who thinks that hiring this person would be if any use, you need to get out of business with this person. Also, could you let him know I have some magic beans I'd like to sell him.

Fantasic Joe! You sound like a solid guy! I've seen so many varieties of "magic beans" over the years! :blink: Almost time for an enchanted allotment thread?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

IMO it has value. I've been on ?three of these (work paying) over the years and they do help you to focus on what you're trying to do. I've had staff who view work as school (turn up, dress appropriately, go home) and however much I tell them that the important thing is what they actually produce rather than sitting at the desk all day in the attitude of working it never sinks in. So I'm not about to become a motivational speaker!

That said your partner's idea of an expensive course sounds over the top. Go to one or two then think about whether you need to go to any more.

The absolute best way to improve your business is selling a stake to a seed fund investor. I audited one of these for a couple of years and the main man, whilst very personable, was also extremely clear on what the business had to do to become successful. He would have people sacked if they weren't driving it forward.

In one sense this is free, in another it is very expensive as they get an equity stake, but the value that they will add to your business will be worth far in excess of what you have given up to them. Do you want 100% of £50k or 50% of £5m?

HOLA4422

IMO it has value. I've been on ?three of these (work paying) over the years and they do help you to focus on what you're trying to do. I've had staff who view work as school (turn up, dress appropriately, go home) and however much I tell them that the important thing is what they actually produce rather than sitting at the desk all day in the attitude of working it never sinks in. So I'm not about to become a motivational speaker!

That said your partner's idea of an expensive course sounds over the top. Go to one or two then think about whether you need to go to any more.

The absolute best way to improve your business is selling a stake to a seed fund investor. I audited one of these for a couple of years and the main man, whilst very personable, was also extremely clear on what the business had to do to become successful. He would have people sacked if they weren't driving it forward.

In one sense this is free, in another it is very expensive as they get an equity stake, but the value that they will add to your business will be worth far in excess of what you have given up to them. Do you want 100% of £50k or 50% of £5m?

ah ha.

My case above, the boss wants the 50% of £5m. he drives the staff. they rebel. he fails to release control, they leave.

Meanwhile, BS abounds on their facebook pages, where each and every member is to exude enthusiasm...or get hauled over the coals, pardon me, have a session about attitudes.

One of the ladies posted about her recent bereavement...the office "spy" called her in for interview about this "negativity".

Im afraid that some poor schemes lead to witchfinders looking for scapegoats as to why its not working.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Thinking about it a bit more I did learn something useful from a sales course.

This wasn't a happy clappy whoooping type I'll show how how to become a millionaire type one, but a guy who had spent a lifetime in sales who would give you his knowledge for 2 days.

He was pretty good actually and taught me a lot of stuff about the sales process, sales psychology etc. They did a war stories session where everyone discussed how they had gone the extra mile, what made the difference etc. Gave the sales guy I was with a lot of new ideas.

They had a pumping up session as well but I avoided that by slouching off to the pub.

I think if you've got a couple of young salespeople at the coalface this sort of stuff is worth doing. It's more the "I'll make you a billionaire in 3 days by telling you the bleedin obvious" stuff that you need to avoid.

HOLA4425

Thinking about it a bit more I did learn something useful from a sales course.

This wasn't a happy clappy whoooping type I'll show how how to become a millionaire type one, but a guy who had spent a lifetime in sales who would give you his knowledge for 2 days.

He was pretty good actually and taught me a lot of stuff about the sales process, sales psychology etc. They did a war stories session where everyone discussed how they had gone the extra mile, what made the difference etc. Gave the sales guy I was with a lot of new ideas.

They had a pumping up session as well but I avoided that by slouching off to the pub.

I think if you've got a couple of young salespeople at the coalface this sort of stuff is worth doing. It's more the "I'll make you a billionaire in 3 days by telling you the bleedin obvious" stuff that you need to avoid.

That sounds a good one Mr Slug. I am wary of evangelism, or Jesus like characters. :blink:;)

Archived