House Price Crash Forum

Legal Highs - It's All Getting A Bit Silly Now

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA442
HOLA443

Yes, not a user myself but I have frequently read that the older users who bought in the 60s, 70s & 80s and who now grow their own see it (perhaps correctly) as relatively harmless but they don't appreciate that it has changed.

Legalisation of cannabis came up on one of the local radio phone-ins this week and the views of both sides are so intrenched whilst simulataneously being ill-informed that I don't see an honest debate happening any time soon. I can't stand the stuff and avoid frequent users like the plague (the most boring people under the sun) but would on balance: legalise, control and tax it. Though saying that on local radio would have had people attacking me as a drug fiend.

So if they bought back the old weak imported stuff that'd be ok?

Isn't it a triumph of Britain that we now do not important very much cannabis?

HOLA444

just legalise the main ones and regulate it, think of the tax we could pull in!!

+1

In my job I'm seeing a huge increase in abnormal liver enzymes being kicked out into the blood stream that shouldn't be there. Legal highs are causing permanent damage.

Legalise and control the lot, despite what the 'blue rinse' say.

HOLA445

I know nothing of these "legal highs". I've only tried illegal ones.

I haven't seen any illegal substances for some time, but I quite liked the odd spliff, line of coke, etc, in ,my younger days.

As Frank points out, it is a very polarised argument. Either people want to ban everything, or make everything available.

Where's the common sense? My friends' kids are getting the the age, where they are going to all night parties, and probably getting a bit bonged up. Well we did the same, and survived OK. I think my nephew would offer Uncle Pin a toke if he has got any.

Again I agree with Frank, that heavy habitual cannabis users are very boring. But as an occasional thing I don't think it hurts.

Mind you, if I catch my nephew with syringes, I'll give him a right lecture he won't forget. :huh:

HOLA446

Yep, I remember reading that 24% (and perhaps even higher) THC content is not uncommon now, whereas Jimi Hendrix and his mates would have kicked back and smoked something roughly 1/3 of that strength. A quick look at Jimi's taste in clothes tells me that 8% is more than enough.

A grower from the Netherlands (elderly guy in his 70's) told me that the actual THC content of modern Cannabis is actually only slightly higher than it was back in the 70's when he began growing. He told me that in the 90's Seedbanks changed the way that THC is measured in order to drive up the reported THC percentage. It was a marketing ploy to revitalise Cannabis interest after losing huge market share to party drugs such as Ecstasy. I haven't the time or desire really to research his story but he seemed genuine and experienced.

HOLA447

A grower from the Netherlands (elderly guy in his 70's) told me that the actual THC content of modern Cannabis is actually only slightly higher than it was back in the 70's when he began growing. He told me that in the 90's Seedbanks changed the way that THC is measured in order to drive up the reported THC percentage. It was a marketing ploy to revitalise Cannabis interest after losing huge market share to party drugs such as Ecstasy. I haven't the time or desire really to research his story but he seemed genuine and experienced.

Interesting stuff. I'm not saying he's wrong but I do remember reading an article about a lab technician whose job is to analyse different strains in order to assess their suitability for medical purposes. And in the article the guy stated that he was inundated by people asking him what strains to look for to give them the "old school" type high because they were freaking out at the effects of the modern stuff.

Funnily enough, I did a quick search for the article and couldn't find it - but what I did find was lots of links related to producers "gaming" the tests to make their own samples seem much more potent, and therefore command a much better price in the medical market. I quick glance down one page of search hits suggests that the analysis business is all over the place, and so I certainly wouldn't dismiss the view of the guy you were talking to.

HOLA448

Interesting stuff. I'm not saying he's wrong but I do remember reading an article about a lab technician whose job is to analyse different strains in order to assess their suitability for medical purposes. And in the article the guy stated that he was inundated by people asking him what strains to look for to give them the "old school" type high because they were freaking out at the effects of the modern stuff.

Funnily enough, I did a quick search for the article and couldn't find it - but what I did find was lots of links related to producers "gaming" the tests to make their own samples seem much more potent, and therefore command a much better price in the medical market. I quick glance down one page of search hits suggests that the analysis business is all over the place, and so I certainly wouldn't dismiss the view of the guy you were talking to.

Cannabis used to have many more types of Cannabanoids, 100+ but modern strains have had many of them bred out of them. If I recall most strains now have around 80 types in their makeup. I suppose that would sway the balance thus increasing the actual amount of the remainders without changing the percentage of THC. In essence, the counter Cannabanoids to the THC are not as diverse or plentiful, resulting in a harder hitting high. I can't think of any other reason the other Cannabanoids would have been deliberately bred out of the modern strains.

HOLA449

Cannabis used to have many more types of Cannabanoids, 100+ but modern strains have had many of them bred out of them. If I recall most strains now have around 80 types in their makeup. I suppose that would sway the balance thus increasing the actual amount of the remainders without changing the percentage of THC. In essence, the counter Cannabanoids to the THC are not as diverse or plentiful, resulting in a harder hitting high. I can't think of any other reason the other Cannabanoids would have been deliberately bred out of the modern strains.

Again, interesting stuff, thanks for the info! I'll admit I'm no scientist, but I've always wondered why the focus is on THC for healing purposes, when there are so many other cannabinoids which *might* have beneficial effects as well. To that end, I saw recently that there is a bit of a push to bring Cannabis Ruderalis (sp?) into the limelight; apparently it's actually very low in THC but very high in other cannabinoids - so low in THC in fact that nobody ever bothered cultivating it for illicit purposes, and so it kind of got forgotten. If there's any truth in my idea that other cannabinoids might also have positive healing effects, then there's potential to gain from the medical benefits without having to tolerate the downsides associated with the high.

Genuinely, I'm fascinated by the potential benefits of cannabis. I guess a lot of that fascination and mystery is amplified by the prohibition of it and consequent lack of open minded debate. Or it could all be ******** - who knows?

HOLA4410

Again, interesting stuff, thanks for the info! I'll admit I'm no scientist, but I've always wondered why the focus is on THC for healing purposes, when there are so many other cannabinoids which *might* have beneficial effects as well. To that end, I saw recently that there is a bit of a push to bring Cannabis Ruderalis (sp?) into the limelight; apparently it's actually very low in THC but very high in other cannabinoids - so low in THC in fact that nobody ever bothered cultivating it for illicit purposes, and so it kind of got forgotten. If there's any truth in my idea that other cannabinoids might also have positive healing effects, then there's potential to gain from the medical benefits without having to tolerate the downsides associated with the high.

Genuinely, I'm fascinated by the potential benefits of cannabis. I guess a lot of that fascination and mystery is amplified by the prohibition of it and consequent lack of open minded debate. Or it could all be ******** - who knows?

Almost all if not all auto flowering hybrids have Ruderalis genetics as part of their genetic make up and strains such as Charlottes web is very likely to contain the same genetics as it`s a very low THC (almost none) high CBD strain ,also Epidiolex is a CBD based pharmaceutical produced drug

CBD cannabiniods are of much interests to the the medical researchers if not more than THC

HOLA4411

Almost all if not all auto flowering hybrids have Ruderalis genetics as part of their genetic make up and strains such as Charlottes web is very likely to contain the same genetics as it`s a very low THC (almost none) high CBD strain ,also Epidiolex is a CBD based pharmaceutical produced drug

CBD cannabiniods are of much interests to the the medical researchers if not more than THC

Hmm, so I'm not going to win the nobel prize for shit hot ideas that nobody else ever thought of then? Ah well :)

HOLA4412

A a v good doco on Netflix(Culture High, I think) showed a little girl with severe epilepsy. The biggest impact on her health was a THC free strain. It was remarkable she went from 100s fits a day being close to death 'despite'being pumped full of pharmaceuticals to zero fits andstarting to get her lifeback.

HOLA4413

That's very sad. I personally see the prevalence of skunk as a fairly direct result of prohibition of the weaker stuff...

Absolutely. And it's a crying shame. I'm sure connoisseurs can still find heritage strains of weed, but mostly it's just the potent hybrids these days, and they are completely different. I think skunk varieties are much more prone to triggering psychitric illnesses, and should be treated with caution. I still believe in compete decriminalisation of all recreational drugs though.

EDIT: Just noticed all the much more informed weed chat in the rest of the thread! I do find it fascinating.

HOLA4414

A a v good doco on Netflix(Culture High, I think) showed a little girl with severe epilepsy. The biggest impact on her health was a THC free strain. It was remarkable she went from 100s fits a day being close to death 'despite'being pumped full of pharmaceuticals to zero fits andstarting to get her lifeback.

Yes seen it I think the licecning of Epidiolex was in some part due to this film and maybe other films such as this (could be the same film as on netflix) the strain Charlotte's web was named after the little girl in the film

Archived