House Price Crash Forum

On Paper Demotion.

longtomsilver

HOLA441
HOLA442

The bosses wife at our place insisted for her business cards to change because it said company secretary, and she didn't like the idea of being a secreatary. Not that one business card was given out that is.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Job titles only matter if they indicate your position in hierarchy - and they become all important to some. Some simply ignore input from anyone they perceive as their equal or lower in the organisation. It was for that reason that I requested a different place in the last restructure (but didn't get it).

Generally though, I personally relish using my lowly team leader job title while all of my colleagues at the same level have inflated theirs to Senior manager, Head of, Strategic whatever, Director etc. Quite often I'll simply introduce myself as the guy who looks after xxxxxx team.

As a result people often underestimate me, at least initially - and that can be useful for revealing their true nature, what buttons to press etc.

It's also useful for negotiation with the outside world to pretend I have no real power and some hidden boss is forcing me to drive a hard bargain. In practice, for most of my area I have ultimate and wide ranging decision making authority.

HOLA445

Indeed, when I was in business I didn't put any title on my calling cards, just my name.

Likewise Bruce. It looks immodest somehow, to list all of your O levels on a business card. :wacko:

HOLA446

Job titles only matter if they indicate your position in hierarchy - and they become all important to some. Some simply ignore input from anyone they perceive as their equal or lower in the organisation. It was for that reason that I requested a different place in the last restructure (but didn't get it).

Generally though, I personally relish using my lowly team leader job title while all of my colleagues at the same level have inflated theirs to Senior manager, Head of, Strategic whatever, Director etc. Quite often I'll simply introduce myself as the guy who looks after xxxxxx team.

As a result people often underestimate me, at least initially - and that can be useful for revealing their true nature, what buttons to press etc.

It's also useful for negotiation with the outside world to pretend I have no real power and some hidden boss is forcing me to drive a hard bargain. In practice, for most of my area I have ultimate and wide ranging decision making authority.

Saruman? Has Sauron let you have your own stapler yet?

I was very proud of my 4 hole punch. :wacko:

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I work for a big IT company, and I and many of my colleagues recently found out that our job titles have been quietly changed from a specific one for developers to a much more general IT support job title. We suspect it's to make it's harder for us to turn down non-development roles within the company in a looming compulsory redundancy situation, and still claim the redundancy payment.

That doesn't sound like the OP's situation though, and in any case a 5-figure pay rise would over-rule most other considerations.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I work for a US company, everyone is Director - and it is a measly job grade - 11 out of a total of 20, so barely better than half way. I can't even figure out what the next grades are all the way up to 20. Senior Director, VP, SVP, EVP, some more, then CEO.

HOLA4415

I want to devise a way to get everyone at my workplace to send me an e-mail.

'Cos I reckon the number of people who have put "Director of" in their e-mail signature outnumbers the people there are to be 'Directed'

Director of email? Director of email silliness?

I got promoted into a new role for the company, i and because of they asked what job title i wanted? I told then i dont care just as long as i get a (in my opinion) a decent wage. They couldnt understand that i just simply wasnt bothered by my job title.

I've been known to reply "dogsbody" when pressed for a job title.

HOLA4416

Quite often I'll simply introduce myself as the guy who looks after xxxxxx team.

So true!

I get this in my social life, as I don't want to talk about work at all, so usually mention some mundane vague title. I did get a suggestion at a wedding recently where someone suggested applying for a job in B&Q as they were looking. That did make me laugh, and I wondered how on earth they came to that conclusion.

HOLA4417

When asked on night outs "what do you do" I always reply with my hobbies. Most find it very strange and many actually really press me to find out what I do for money.

It's not hugely important to me so I can't be arsed talking about it.

HOLA4418

When asked on night outs "what do you do" I always reply with my hobbies. Most find it very strange and many actually really press me to find out what I do for money.

It's not hugely important to me so I can't be arsed talking about it.

+1

I do the same. I spend enough time at work and I try not to let it interfere with my life even when I'm in the office, yet alone when I'm out of it.

HOLA4419

+1

I do the same. I spend enough time at work and I try not to let it interfere with my life even when I'm in the office, yet alone when I'm out of it.

I'm quite well qualified and my work is regularly in the media, and for my work, more so than anyone else, I also do large public events on a stage in front of an audience - so I'm not shy! However, at my place of work I keep totally to myself and socially, I'll always find something else to talk about, which is usually about everybody else. While I thoroughly enjoy what I do, and I love talking about it when asked if someone should find out what I do, I'll never bring it into conversation and usually, need to be bullied to do so. I have a 'fear' of being thought to ram it down people's throats or be perceived as 'grandstanding', even though people usually find it interesting. I can only think it stems from being called 'keeny' mercilessly at school! and if so, I should really have gotten over it by now.

HOLA4420

Whenever work discussions come up, on here, I always think that staring into the abyss of insolvency every time a really bad recession comes along is greatly preferable to having to endure any amount of office politics nonsense.

Archived