House Price Crash Forum

Halifax -0.6

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Amazing that the average house costs £200k in a country with an average full time salary of £25k.

it isn't the averages that are out imo

two earners on the average wage can easily afford the average house, particularly if they have some equity (i.e. the average house isn't their first purchase)

it is the outliers - by outliers, I mean 'London'

HOLA447

I presume too late to effect the Super Thursday interest rate release unless Halifax gave the Committee a sneak preview. Sentance on the Today programme thinks we will get a split vote as opposed to a 9-0, again pointing to the UK topping G7 growth for a second year running and full employment. Neither seem compatible with zirp.

HOLA448
Amazing that the average house costs £200k in a country with an average full time salary of £25k.

According to here :-

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5568/housing/uk-house-price-affordability/

house-prices-2001-2013q2-600x418.png

......then average house prices are about 10% higher than they were in the 2007 peak.

Even though productivity is LOWER nominally than it was in 2007 - and wages flat. All that borrowing....and borrowing.....and BTL.....

Must be the perfect time to buy, right?

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA449

two earners on the average wage can easily afford the average house, particularly if they have some equity (i.e. the average house isn't their first purchase)

Many families have kids and have at least one parent working part time or not at all. Leaving kids with a childminders 5 days a week just to buy an overpriced house is not the answer.

HOLA4410

Many families have kids and have at least one parent working part time or not at all. Leaving kids with a childminders 5 days a week just to buy an overpriced house is not the answer.

I can point you in the direction of a heck of a lot people who believe it is and are living this very dream.

HOLA4411

A lot of factors make the income multiples a little out of date, count of nowhere's unearned equity from previous ownership is a biggie. But also two income households and longevity. Gone are the days when the husband worked thirty years and died of a heart attack and the wife who never worked went onto widow's pension. As a couple we have 71 years aggregate full time work behind us and a few decades to go unless we pack it in.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4412

A lot of factors make the income multiples a little out of date, count of nowhere's unearned equity from previous ownership is a biggie. But also two income households and longevity. Gone are the days when the husband worked thirty years and died of a heart attack and the wife who never worked went onto widow's pension. As a couple we have 71 years aggregate full time work behind us and a few decades to go unless we pack it in.

And when 2 wages isn't enough, what next?

Remember, HPI forever.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

You are comparing what is now accepted to be a two salary expense to a single salary.

Houses that were bought on single salaries are now being sold to people happy to use two. Living the dream is now to have a shelter with more expensive bricks and hardly see your children, so you can spend more hours working to service more debt.

The BoE decided only 15% of mortgages can be higher than 4.5x household income. That's enough to support banker's bubble prices, so future pay rises can supposedly be eaten up mortgage rate rises. 50 year mortgages as the new normal next.

Bankers 1

Public's quality of life 0

HOLA4415

Not really, if you have people who bought the asset in the past people can afford an upgrade. If I was a FTB I couldn't afford the mortgage nor would I be given one for my current house and it would have been a real stretch to buy our first house now. Because I got onto the ladder at the beginning of the insanity I can afford to live in a house I couldn't now afford to buy. Long term it's not sustainable but the issue you highlight in the short term can be masked.

HOLA4416

The first flat I bought, were it for sale today, would be about £100k - £105k (based on the last one in the block sold in April 2015). When I bought it, in April 1996, it was £41,500

In terms of its price as a percentage of the average house price, how much has it moved by? Not a lot I would say.

It didn't feel cheap to me at the time and I remember things being pretty tight in the run up to buying it (to save the deposit) and afterwards (to pay the mortgage and bills)

HOLA4417

The first house I bought was 3x my salary with a 10% deposit, it recently sold for what would have been today 10x plus equivalent salary. But for course I didn't waste money on iPODS. So 3x as expensive. (since 1983 so 32 years).

I bought my first couple of houses for cash ( IICR ).

I paid the mortgage on my 3rd one off at 31.

My fourth or was it fifth house was cash also.

Right now you'd have to be earning £150K - £300K a year to do the same.

That was all outside london and on 1 income.

I doubt there are many now who can even come close to that.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Didn't even realise this was out today ... nothing being reported on the local radio station which is on in the office. Strange, as when the Nationwide reported up earlier in the week it was on the news every 30 minutes. Bias?!

I don't think they understand minus figures next to house price rises! Hence they don't publish them

HOLA4420

The first flat I bought, were it for sale today, would be about £100k - £105k (based on the last one in the block sold in April 2015). When I bought it, in April 1996, it was £41,500

In terms of its price as a percentage of the average house price, how much has it moved by? Not a lot I would say.

It didn't feel cheap to me at the time and I remember things being pretty tight in the run up to buying it (to save the deposit) and afterwards (to pay the mortgage and bills)

If it were on sale today its price should be nearer £153,000, given that the average house price (not flat) in 2nd quarter 96 was £53,000.

In real terms, what you paid in '96 would be equivalent (inflation adjusted) to paying c.£69,000 today.

The sacrifices you must have made.....How on earth did you ever manage?

HOLA4421

If it were on sale today its price should be nearer £153,000, given that the average house price (not flat) in 2nd quarter 96 was £53,000.

In real terms, what you paid in '96 would be equivalent (inflation adjusted) to paying c.£69,000 today.

The sacrifices you must have made.....How on earth did you ever manage?

Depends where you live I guess. In terms of micro-census areas, the cheapest area last year (burnley - average price 33k, barely doubled from 1995 prices.

The most expensive micro-census area, westminster, went from £327k in 1995 to £3.5 million today.

The difference between most expensive and cheapest area went from about 30 times to over 100 times...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I can provide a link to the flats sold in the development - and it looks as though the one I had in mind went for over asking: at £113k, not the £105k I was told it had been for sale at. Just goes to show it is always best to check!

http://nethouseprices.com/house-prices/streets-details/east%20sussex/heathfield/high%20street/tn21/8lu/tn21%208lu

My wage at the time was about £18k, though I did have the benefit of a company car, so what would usually be the second biggest expense wasn't.

I had saved £5k saved up and when I had paid the deposit and legals etc. I felt pretty skint. I don't remember what the mortgage payments were, but I borrowed £37,350 over 25 years on a standard Halifax repayment product.

So, Apr 1996 = £41,500: May 2015 = £113k

HOLA4424

I can provide a link to the flats sold in the development - and it looks as though the one I had in mind went for over asking: at £113k, not the £105k I was told it had been for sale at. Just goes to show it is always best to check!

http://nethouseprices.com/house-prices/streets-details/east%20sussex/heathfield/high%20street/tn21/8lu/tn21%208lu

My wage at the time was about £18k, though I did have the benefit of a company car, so what would usually be the second biggest expense wasn't.

I had saved £5k saved up and when I had paid the deposit and legals etc. I felt pretty skint. I don't remember what the mortgage payments were, but I borrowed £37,350 over 25 years on a standard Halifax repayment product.

So, Apr 1996 = £41,500: May 2015 = £113k

New build?

No wonder your figures look so conservative :rolleyes:

Edited by 25 year mortgage 8itch

HOLA4425

I agree, if by "easily afford" you mean "require both adults to engage in full time wage labour for 25-30 years with no wage cuts and few if any breaks in working due to redundancy, childcare, health problems, or even just getting sick of being a wage slave and fancying a break". Easy peasy.