Free Road Tax Ends

longgone

HOLA441
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

The low VED incentive was very effective.

New VED rates are very regressive & remove the incentive to buy smaller engined vehicles.

Increasing a tax from £0, £20, £30 to £140 is infinity%, 700% & 460% uplifts which is insance.

If you were paying say £0 & it's now £140 that's an extra £1400 on the cost of a car over 10 years. Massive inflationary increase.

I'm amazed nobody has kicked off over this theft from the least well off yet. It's a scandal.

HOLA444

New VED rates are very regressive & remove the incentive to buy smaller engined vehicles.

Increasing a tax from £0, £20, £30 to £140 is infinity%, 700% & 460% uplifts which is insance.

If you were paying say £0 & it's now £140 that's an extra £1400 on the cost of a car over 10 years. Massive inflationary increase.

I'm amazed nobody has kicked off over this theft from the least well off yet. It's a scandal.

It's totally unsurprising. The poor are not supposed to aspire to private motoring, they are provided with public cattle trucks to fulfill their transport needs. Both the Tories and Labour agree about that.

Motoring has always been a cash cow, the government want to keep it that way. Low emission vehicles were always going to get hammered when their popularity increased.

Just watch what happens to tax on electric cars as they become more popular. Road charging here we come!

HOLA445

It's totally unsurprising. The poor are not supposed to aspire to private motoring, they are provided with public cattle trucks to fulfill their transport needs. Both the Tories and Labour agree about that.

Motoring has always been a cash cow, the government want to keep it that way. Low emission vehicles were always going to get hammered when their popularity increased.

Just watch what happens to tax on electric cars as they become more popular. Road charging here we come!

Good post. I agree.

Spose it will mean increased demand for low VED vehicles (new & used) in the run up to April 2017 as wel especially for anyone for whom the ability to run a car is marginal - i.e. the young and less well off.

Also of course it means Osborne doesn't give a sh1t about CO2 emissions

HOLA446

I think I'll just keep running my old non turbo diesel. I pay £5 less road tax than a 3 tonne 2.5 litre Nissan Navara, however it's done most of it's depreciation and the only costs are easy DIY minor servicing, fuel, tax, and insurance.

It won't ever need a new particulate filter, turbo, intercooler, dual mass flywheel, EGR valve (Removed), catalytic converter (In the shed)....

HOLA447

Good post. I agree.

Spose it will mean increased demand for low VED vehicles (new & used) in the run up to April 2017 as wel especially for anyone for whom the ability to run a car is marginal - i.e. the young and less well off.

Also of course it means Osborne doesn't give a sh1t about CO2 emissions

So my V40 , currently free will be £140. Swizz.

HOLA448

Absolutely right. I'll get rid of the V40 next year and get a Jeep to go with the Landcruiser. Why should I bother with small engined cars now?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Didn't this new VED only apply to new cars post 2017?

That's as I read it. AFAIKT it's going to create some really weird consequence in the market.

For example, if you are in the 255 plus band, a car pre 2017 will cost you £505 per year. But post 2017 will cost you £140. In April 2018 a 255 gram car registered in march 2017 will cost you £505 per year, but registered in April 2017 will cost you £140.

Looks like the Tories are shovelling money towards the owners of big Jags. Who'd have thought it ?

HOLA4411

It sounds barking to me. Surely HM Govt want to encourage more economical vehicles, except, oh bugger there was no money in it! :blink: . And now they want it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Don't think they originally anticipated that people would take to noddy cars with quite such gusto just to avoid road tax.

I think you are right. But people are quite happy to plonk out £12000, for something with low VED, even though you can't fit much in it, and it's unpleasant to drive. Just to save a few quid. :blink: It would have been cheaper to keep the old car going.

HOLA4418

Pretty sure we pay £180/year on one of these. Now that's what it's like to feel cheated.

That's not too bad.. my wife has one of those little Skoda Fabias (1.6 petrol) and I'm sure we pay about £250/yr for that.

HOLA4419

I think I'll just keep running my old non turbo diesel. I pay £5 less road tax than a 3 tonne 2.5 litre Nissan Navara, however it's done most of it's depreciation and the only costs are easy DIY minor servicing, fuel, tax, and insurance.

It won't ever need a new particulate filter, turbo, intercooler, dual mass flywheel, EGR valve (Removed), catalytic converter (In the shed)....

Keep it whilst you can but the bad news is that governments across Europe are banning older cars from entering cities. Diesel cars especially are being targeted due to EU ratcheting down of permissible levels of particulates and sulphur dioxide. Countries are facing big fines if they break the new rules.

The UK hasn't touched cars yet but they've really hammered commercial vehicles. £100 to take an older van inside the M25 and a £500 'fee' for late payment. Bizarrely, there's talk of charging older motorbikes to enter London as they're not covered by the congestion charge. This despite them alleviating congestion and producing very little pollution.

This is all happening in the interests of air quality and definitely not due to regulatory capture by a car industry desperate to shift more units onto an unwilling public.

HOLA4420

It sounds barking to me. Surely HM Govt want to encourage more economical vehicles, except, oh bugger there was no money in it! :blink: . And now they want it.

I'm wondering if the loss in fuel exercise duty with more efficient motors has triggered a response. Quite what they thought would happen to this tax stream with encouraging people to drive more efficiently and the previous huge price hikes in fuel clearly caused people to motor differently. However just another tax grab on the poor.

HOLA4421

Give up on the car entirely.....save on car tax, fuel tax, and mot tax.......go out less and save on vat purchase tax......trains are far too expensive to contemplate unless wealthy......ride a bike, hitch or share a lift or catch a bus.....make your own local entertainment and buy on-line........sometimes policies force people down unexpected new and better roads.....unintended consequences. ;)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Give up on the car entirely.....save on car tax, fuel tax, and mot tax.......go out less and save on vat purchase tax......trains are far too expensive to contemplate unless wealthy......ride a bike, hitch or share a lift or catch a bus.....make your own local entertainment and buy on-line........sometimes policies force people down unexpected new and better roads.....unintended consequences. ;)

Public transport is all very well if you can walk long distances. With mobility problems, unless you're in a wheelchair, it's a no no.

HOLA4425

OK, you have talked me into it. :P

Archived