House Price Crash Forum

100 Business Chiefs: Labour Threatens Britain's Recovery

HOLA441
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The "One Hundred" don't really care who in the LibLabCon is in power as they're part of the string pullers pulling the LibLabCon's strings but they put on a show to pretend that there's a choice and that "democracy" isn't rigged. Like the "independent" BoE they'll support the incumbents as that benefits them most overall.

They must have been weeks/months in organising signatures at the local rotundas.

Then claim that they're "Apolitical".

There's 100 of them and they should place their vote (or not) like the rest of us millions. Their employees shouldn't allow themselves to be intimidated by the opinion of 100, a little more than a handful, of those running companies.

Supporting the incumbents is the pragmatic business decision. If there is a new government the new incumbents will know that they can rely on the same support as their predecessors enjoyed.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Only if you believe the polls

I don't

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Literary_Digest

You wonder if the polls could be vulnerable to a Literary Digest moment. I can imagine currently people may be lying over their intentions who they will vote for. It appears that it will be a very tight election unless something dramatic happens.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I won't vote Red Yellow or Blue.

It will be UKIP, I don't trust them but I know I can't trust the rest. I am hoping for the Scottish to come to the rescue. Hopefully if a party needs the SNP we can lessen the focus of London as the center of the galaxy. If the Welsh are also needed all the better.

Edited by Ulfar

HOLA449

From the OP's link.

The letter in full

Dear Sirs,

We run some of the leading businesses in the UK. We believe this Conservative-led Government has been good for business and has pursued policies which have supported investment and job creation.

David Cameron and George Osborne’s flagship policy of progressively lowering Corporation Tax to 20% has been very important in showing the UK is open for business. It has been a key part of their economic plan.#

The result is that Britain grew faster than any other major economy last year and businesses like ours have created over 1.85m new jobs.

We believe a change in course will threaten jobs and deter investment. This would send a negative message about Britain and put the recovery at risk.

A very flimsy and weak justification for their voting preference.

There's little or nothing in that letter that should persuade anyone to vote for any party never mind the Conservatives.

"..very important in showing the UK is open for business.." Pretty pathetic stuff as if not voting for the Conservatives would close the UK for business - it's as if they've been completely brainwashed by their very own propaganda. It's like a reference written by a best mate trying not to get on the wrong side of the mate and at the same time aware that the mate is sure to let them down.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

From the OP's link.

A very flimsy and weak justification for their voting preference.

There's little or nothing in that letter that should persuade anyone to vote for any party never mind the Conservatives.

"..very important in showing the UK is open for business.." Pretty pathetic stuff as if not voting for the Conservatives would close the UK for business - it's as if they've been completely brainwashed by their very own propaganda. It's like a reference written by a best mate trying not to get on the wrong side of the mate and at the same time aware that the mate is sure to let them down.

With a corporate tax rate of 12.5% it's a wonder that Ireland ever had recession...

HOLA4412

I'm genuinely surprised there aren't more business leaders openly worried about an in-out EU referendum, which is going to happen under the Tories (allegedly).

They are, I guess some might like the 20% tanking in Sterling though.

But actually I think they want just enough Tory support to create a Libcon coalition, the dream ticket for business and Equities with a Brexit block.

HOLA4413

I'm genuinely surprised there aren't more business leaders openly worried about an in-out EU referendum, which is going to happen under the Tories (allegedly).

There's never going to be an in-out EU referendum because the City of London and the BoE are steadfastly opposed to the idea. Coalition govt means that all pre-election promises can be reneged upon. In the unlikely event of a outright Tory majority Cameron will be replaced by Boris Johnson in a palace coup.

Edited by zugzwang

HOLA4414

There's never going to be an in-out EU referendum because the City of London and the BoE are steadfastly opposed to the idea. Coalition govt means that all pre-election promises can be reneged upon. In the unlikely event of a outright Tory majority some other excuse will be found.

TBh I think the Tories will have to run with it...spread betting suggests only about an 8% chance.

Think there is a greater chance than that though....opinion polls are just not that good at capturing the Tory support you answer pollsters with your heart but you vote with your head.

HOLA4415
Guest UK Debt Slave

There's never going to be an in-out EU referendum because the City of London and the BoE are steadfastly opposed to the idea. Coalition govt means that all pre-election promises can be reneged upon. In the unlikely event of a outright Tory majority Cameron will be replaced by Boris Johnson in a palace coup.

Correct

The plan to create a federal Europe has been executed ever since the Bilderberg Group was founded in 1954.

There's absolutely no way public opinion will be allowed to derail the planned superstate now.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I don't see how the Tories can form a coalition that would take them over 326. It just doesn't add up. And a minority government wouldn't last and wouldn't be able to do anything so my money is on Labour even if they don't have the most seats, forming a coalition with the SNP and possibly PC if necessary.

I thought the same .... but the bookies have Dave as favourite to be next PM.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/prime-minister-after-general-election

HOLA4421

I'm hoping the lib dems will be wiped out - less than 20 seats sort of wiped out - which should make them (at most) the fourth largest party, if the SNP vote holds. So hopefully they won't have any say in who forms the (seemingly inevitable) coalition. I'm all for a Lab/SNP coalition myself - I'd vote SNP if they were standing in Sussex.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Surely if these business chiefs (crony capitalists and hedge fund managers) are saying it'll be bad for them then clearly a Labour victory of sorts will be far more advantageous to the rest of us.

100 business chiefs: Labour threatens Britain's recovery In a letter to The Telegraph, senior executives from companies employing more than half-a-million people hail Conservative economic policies which they say show that the UK is open for business

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11507586/General-Election-2015-Labour-threatens-Britains-recovery-say-100-business-chiefs.html

So 100 gazillionaires come out strongly for the party of the rentiers, eh?

In other news 100 turkeys come out strongly for the abolition of Christmas.

...And finally bear poo found in the woods leads experts to propose hypothesis.

Seriously though, I think this is a pretty big miscalculation by the Tories. If the rise of parties like UKIP, the SNP and Greens etc. tells you anything, then it should be that the interests of the many have now diverged enough from the interests of the few that being seen to stand for the interests of the elite is now detrimental to your electability.

This is what the Tories should take from the spirit of the Thatcher era, not some desperate, half-baked right to buy zombie resurrection.

HOLA4424

Seriously though, I think this is a pretty big miscalculation by the Tories. If the rise of parties like UKIP, the SNP and Greens etc. tells you anything, then it should be that the interests of the many have now diverged enough from the interests of the few that being seen to stand for the interests of the elite is now detrimental to your electability.

I agree - the simple response to this "so the 0.1%, whose wealth has doubled in the past 5 years, whilst everyone else's has gone backwards, want things to carry on as they are? No sh!t!"

Labour could play a blinder here, but of course they're not.

HOLA4425

Labour could play a blinder here, but of course they're not.

They kind of have. Or have the right idea anyway.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/01/labour-offers-counterpunch-to-daily-telegraph-business-letter

Its a bit difficult for them to get any papers other than the guardian to print it. Surprised the BBC haven't reported it more though.

If anyone has missed playing a blinder here it's UKIP. The idea of standing up for ordinary people against a greedy and undeserving wealthy elite is no longer the preserve of the left.