House Price Crash Forum

Sports Cars

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

MR2 roadster, much rarer on uk roads than an mx5 so pose factor way higher.

Also being mid engined adds to the exotic factor , not ultra fast but the handling is superb

Good choice. a lady at work bought a very nice one, but it hardly makes Frank's lineup as being posey and sh!t. :huh:

And another vote for Toyota, of which I have no connection!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Anther 2 votes here for the MX5 & MR2.

You have missed the point! What Frank wants is something that looks nice, but is really total sh!t.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Frank, I am the master of pimpworthy metal! Blobby here mentioned the Lexus SC430, and others mentioned the Maxda MX5. Both very good cars, if a little girly. You just have to man up to it! Both superb vehicles. The Lexus will cost more to run. But you want something "sporty" that doesn't go that well! I recommend a not so old Ford Mustang. With the solid rear axle, candle headlights, and the drum brakes, you had better get the one with brown seats! They can do a good turn of speed, and leaving you losing control of your sphincter, and pointing backwards on wet roads. I know for I have been there! Sounds great though! You must get the V8. For the "last few season's models" the difference between the 3.8/4.0 V6, and the 4.6 V8, will not be reflected in the fuel economy. I'm afraid I still have a 25 year old Mustang, which can do 30 mpg, but bits still fall off! Ford will be bringing the latest Mustang in right side drive form to the UK next year! I hope it handles better than mine! Still I've had the old thing ten years.

RHD Mustang? Good news indeed.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

If you want lots of flash for not much cash, aren't bothered about performance, want an open top and are under 6' tall, a small engined Merc SLK would be hard to beat.1

They are hairdresser's cars! One of my mates has one! He is a director of an IT company. He is under 6 feet tall.

HOLA4412

If you want lots of flash for not much cash, aren't bothered about performance, want an open top and are under 6' tall, a small engined Merc SLK would be hard to beat.

Not under 6' tall and have had a lift in one, it was very uncomfortable with the top down.

HOLA4413

What nonsense, you are far more likely to find rust on a Beemer than on any Alfa built in the last 20 years.

Yep...Had an Alfa 156 for seven years...had the odd alternator go, but apart from that, it was a fabulous car...just a shame I got bugger all for it when I sold it 3 months ago...

A Tigra? Is Frank a hairdresser?

I think the VX220 got good reviews when it came out...I think it has the Elise chassis...

Vauxhall-VX220_Turbo_2003_photo_05.jpg<

Would love an Ariel Atom, but they make serious money..

HOLA4414

Not under 6' tall and have had a lift in one, it was very uncomfortable with the top down.

Frank! Convertibles, er "mess up your hair" if you have any.

HOLA4415

Sorry I didn't really think about this hard enough. This, in fact, is the ideal large noticeable weekend cabriolet for a lorry driver, like you, and is probably, these days within price range, I imagine. Although a cheap initial cost, fuel economy will be poor though and I doubt you would be welcome at Kwik Fit.

Leyland.tif012.jpg

You might think this is some one off custom build produced by some hobby weirdo, in their shed. Unfortunately not, it was made by British Leyland, and really epitomises how British nationalised industry had totally lost the plot.

You're led to believe the evil Fatcher woman personally tore them from the factory floor, locked them in the nearest branch of Ladbrokes and threw away they key. On this evidence, it was the safest place for them.

That would be a bit of a busmans holiday for Frank, because he drives a lorry as a job I think.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

No, he's said he wants a poseur wagon not an actually 'good' car. Hence me earlier MX-5 and S2000 suggestions being shot down.

Sorry about that :unsure: yes indeedy it's a hairdresser car for me. I have a big black diesel with plenty of power so for a second car I want something that's relaxing to drive.

The Tigra's a good shout.

HOLA4418

As others have said, MX-5 is obvious.

Alfa 916 Spider (the photo up thread is a Brera) - can be had in the slightly hair-dresserish 2.0 guise, or the full fat 3.0 V6 guise for well within your budget.

XJS Convertible - you might squeak a 5.3 in at your budget. Fits the "show" rather than "go", but they are comically quick in a straight line.

Z4?

Loads of mainstream convertibles can be had for buttons - 3 series, Audi A4, Merc etc.

HOLA4419

Mr RXE, the Jaguar is a fine choice for an excellent mechanic! Nothing will work on it very well! The engine is usually good though, unless it has boiled dry.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Chimera a bit over budget. Also, they are very much a "go" car rather than "show". If you're not paying attention, you'll have it backwards into a tree.

XJS-C - well the engine will work fine, and as long as you are adept with the manual hood technique, who cares if the windows don't work.

HOLA4425

Archived