House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Sports Cars

Why do loads of research when loads of people on here know these things?

I'm toying with the idea of an "all show no go" second car (to match my driving style) and for weekend fun / summer evening use only.

Has to be convertible, ideally folding hard top but optional hard top at the minimum.

Not too big, preferably two seater rather than 2+2.

No massive consumable bills such as £600 a year on tyres.

£4-£5k so of course second hand but I'm not ready for full blown classic territory yet, that's my "parked" hobby for when I retire and an MGB is in the frame.

To reiterate: looks rather than performance.

Recommendations HPCers? Pictures if poss as I last actively looked at cars five or so years ago and have lost track of the model range.

Not sure if Honda S2000 could be another choice. Should actually have decent 'go' too. Bills might be a problem, not too sure.

Does the girl come with the car in post #2?

Why do loads of research when loads of people on here know these things?

I'm toying with the idea of an "all show no go" second car (to match my driving style) and for weekend fun / summer evening use only.

Has to be convertible, ideally folding hard top but optional hard top at the minimum.

£4-£5k so of course second hand but I'm not ready for full blown classic territory yet, that's my "parked" hobby for when I retire and an MGB is in the frame.

Recommendations HPCers? Pictures if poss as I last actively looked at cars five or so years ago and have lost track of the model range.

Just Google 'hairdresser's car' and you will find what you need.

What about a Smart Roadster?

smart-roadster-650.jpg

Smart_Roadster.jpg

All show, no go?

If you think that's show then you must be easily impressed.

From Frank's brief you're probably looking at something like a z4, slk or tt with the low end engines. Chrysler Crossfire is an outsider I suppose.

I don't think the bread and butter manufacturers would provide enough show for me.

If you think that's show then you must be easily impressed.

Actually I was trying to take the piss of Frank by suggesting fairly ridiculous poser cars... ;)

Especially the second Smart Roadster photo should have been a dead give-away!

My personal favourite - Triumph Spitfire. I've had two but only because I've never been able to afford a TR6. Tremendous fun to drive and always guaranteed to get you talking to folk wherever you park it. Better still, you're not perceived as a complete w@#€er. (Only a partial w@#€er).

What about a Lexus SC430? A mate had one and it was superb.

These are cheap but I have read on a car forum they are horrendously unreliable and favoured by council estate Elvis impersonators (I'm glad I don't work in auto industry marketing the demographic shifts seem almost impossible to keep up with)

At the sort of money you're looking at I think it would have to be the S2000 all day long.

2005_Chrysler_PT_Cruiser_GT_convertible_

Sorry I didn't really think about this hard enough. This, in fact, is the ideal large noticeable weekend cabriolet for a lorry driver, like you, and is probably, these days within price range, I imagine. Although a cheap initial cost, fuel economy will be poor though and I doubt you would be welcome at Kwik Fit.

Leyland.tif012.jpg

You might think this is some one off custom build produced by some hobby weirdo, in their shed. Unfortunately not, it was made by British Leyland, and really epitomises how British nationalised industry had totally lost the plot.

You're led to believe the evil Fatcher woman personally tore them from the factory floor, locked them in the nearest branch of Ladbrokes and threw away they key. On this evidence, it was the safest place for them.

MX-5 is the obvious answer, great looks, cheap to run, optional hard top. As mentioned it's a bit of a driver's car but any pure 2 seater is going to be so and this one is "sporty" rather than "sports".

Leftfield, your money would stretch to a low mileage 05 plate BMW 318/320 convertible.

Frank, I am the master of pimpworthy metal! Blobby here mentioned the Lexus SC430, and others mentioned the Maxda MX5. Both very good cars, if a little girly. You just have to man up to it! Both superb vehicles. The Lexus will cost more to run. But you want something "sporty" that doesn't go that well! I recommend a not so old Ford Mustang. With the solid rear axle, candle headlights, and the drum brakes, you had better get the one with brown seats! They can do a good turn of speed, and leaving you losing control of your sphincter, and pointing backwards on wet roads. I know for I have been there! Sounds great though! You must get the V8. For the "last few season's models" the difference between the 3.8/4.0 V6, and the 4.6 V8, will not be reflected in the fuel economy. I'm afraid I still have a 25 year old Mustang, which can do 30 mpg, but bits still fall off! Ford will be bringing the latest Mustang in right side drive form to the UK next year! I hope it handles better than mine! Still I've had the old thing ten years.

Sorry I didn't really think about this hard enough. This, in fact, is the ideal large noticeable weekend cabriolet for a lorry driver, like you, and is probably, these days within price range, I imagine. Although a cheap initial cost, fuel economy will be poor though and I doubt you would be welcome at Kwik Fit.

Leyland.tif012.jpg

You might think this is some one off custom build produced by some hobby weirdo, in their shed. Unfortunately not, it was made by British Leyland, and really epitomises how British nationalised industry had totally lost the plot.

You're led to believe the evil Fatcher woman personally tore them from the factory floor, locked them in the nearest branch of Ladbrokes and threw away they key. On this evidence, it was the safest place for them.

Yeah. They were seen queuing outside the job centre chanting "We won". :lol: