House Price Crash Forum

Sarah Beeny:how To Sell Your Home Without An Estate Agent,c4 2030 Tonight

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

80k less. The owner put it on for 400k and Beano said 320k.

The owner also forgot about the massive road outside her own garden. Jesus wept.

To be honest, if I was view the house with Sarah in that pink Tshirt, I'd not notice the massive roadworks. Or the house.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Well at least she saw reality and dropped the price from 400 to 395. No problems though because 'it will sell'

I only saw part of this. Beeny as ever far more down to earth than other property 'experts' God help us.

Anyone found that £395K-will-definitely-sell house on the likes of RM or Zoopla? I missed the location.

HOLA4410

It's basically an advert for Beano's online EA tempilo

C4 fave strategy / alleged conflict of interest.

Remember house finding firm Garringtons ?

"TV property expert Phil Spencer's failed company owed more than £500,000 when it went bust."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/location-location-location-star-phil-388148

HOLA4411

I went to view a place recently that was being sold without an agent. They had it listed 2 years with an agent for 5K less and it failed to sell then, so the obvious thing to do from their perspective was to ditch the agent and increase the asking price :blink: instead of using it as an opportunity to lower the asking and undercut the rest of the market due to lower costs. That couple in the programme that got more than the agent's valuation is not going to help the situation.

Also, what are the legal implications of selling the place yourself (accuracy of description etc)? Are there any? I didn't see that touched on.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

After Kevin McCloud Ms Beeny is probably the least HPI-obssessed media personality.

She did seem to become a bit more bullish after her stately-home series though.

I also heard her give a talk at a property trade show where she basically repeated the line that 'property is your pension.'

That said, I still like her, and she's certainly easy on the eye.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

She must not have wanted to sell the place at that price. Also on the show did they really have to go all the way to Australia to film the other side of the dullest phone conversation ever!! I can't believe the daughter thought an EA would do better. Didn't think the decor was as bad as Beeny made out although it was a bit tatty in places.

It's essentially a pointless show, same as Phil Spencer: Secret Agent, since the only thing that matter is the price. Price it right = sale, stupid price = no sale.

I also noticed that. Or did they use a Chroma key technique, superimposing the daughter in front of some kind of Sydney Harbour backdrop?

Whatever - it was a waste of money.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

It's essentially a pointless show, same as Phil Spencer: Secret Agent, since the only thing that matter is the price. Price it right = sale, stupid price = no sale.

I've seen 2 episodes now, and much of the point seems to be just that. i.e., price too high and it won't sell. So I wouldnt say the show is pointless if it's bashing that into viewers' heads.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The little I saw of it I did notice that Beeny was pushing the idea that pricing should be based on actual sold data from the Land Registry rather than the kite flying asking prices of other sellers, so she's at least trying to instill some grounding in reality.

Place near me has been for sale for 5 years now with the price constant for almost all of that period (1.5% drop after a month), another house on the street recently appeared at 3% under the kiteflyers' price. It has quickly lost a further 10% though and I know the sellers need the dough sooner rather than later. Still way ott imo. Hopefully they'll keep cutting as I don't think they'll be getting much interest even with the reductions. Nominal loss on 2004 prices is a very realistic possibility.

Edited by Joan of The Tower

HOLA4420

Place near me has been for sale for 5 years now with the price constant for almost all of that period (1.5% drop after a month), another house on the street recently appeared at 3% under the kiteflyers' price. It has quickly lost a further 10% though and I know the sellers need the dough sooner rather than later. Still way ott imo. Hopefully they'll keep cutting as I don't think they'll be getting much interest even with the reductions. Nominal loss on 2004 prices is a very realistic possibility.

Well that would be interesting! Is that just a continuation of a long term decline in prices post-2007 or are you in an area that returned to or surpassed the 2007 highs and now looks to be falling again?

HOLA4421

The little I saw of it I did notice that Beeny was pushing the idea that pricing should be based on actual sold data from the Land Registry rather than the kite flying asking prices of other sellers, so she's at least trying to instill some grounding in reality.

She didn't mention the Land Registry sold prices when she was busy ramping on Property Ladder.

HOLA4422

She didn't mention the Land Registry sold prices when she was busy ramping on Property Ladder.

From what I remember of that show she spent a lot of time getting wound up by idiots being bailed out by a rising market, having done rather stupid things against her advice that in a rational market would have seen them making a loss. I sort of got the impression at the time that she would have been quite happy for such people to lose their shirts.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Well that would be interesting! Is that just a continuation of a long term decline in prices post-2007 or are you in an area that returned to or surpassed the 2007 highs and now looks to be falling again?

The general area has had a HTB bounce inkeeping with the national picture, although the number of transactions for this particular street there have been so low that you would not necessarily recognize it. Just so happens that both the kiteflyer and new seller have lived there for about a decade. They ought to have significant equity by now of course..

Just one anecdote as I know a little about the sellers' position. Hoping for more cuts.

HOLA4425

The general area has had a HTB bounce inkeeping with the national picture, although the number of transactions for this particular street there have been so low that you would not necessarily recognize it. Just so happens that both the kiteflyer and new seller have lived there for about a decade. They ought to have significant equity by now of course..

Just one anecdote as I know a little about the sellers' position. Hoping for more cuts.

Well keep us updated, if you're right about the local market and it goes sub-2004 that would very interesting, even if it is just one anecdote.