House Price Crash Forum

Football Pitches, Jumbo Jets And The Niagra Falls.

HOLA441
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

It would have been quite valuable now, but he loaned the tooled leather pooning saddle attachment to a local Bishop and never got it back.

But it's almost Ostara, which means we at Gurt Clodney, will be driving the John Deere over to Felching Barton Priory, for the ritual stealing of the bell! Again! :blink:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Back OT:

We now can deduce that the Empire State Building is 4 football pitches long.

Able to hold 19,224 standard 20ft-long containers, the Oscar is the world's biggest carrier ship, in terms of volume. Built by Daewoo in South Korea at a cost of $140m (£93m) and named after the eight-year-old son of Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) president and chief executive Diego Aponte, she is 395.4m (1,297ft) long - a few metres greater than the height of New York's Empire State building, if the antenna on top is not taken into account.

_81550805_msc_oscar_cargo_ship_v1_624.jp

The BBC's mixing Imperial and Merkin units is most unprofessional.

HOLA448

I still find it somewhat disconcerting being greeted as 'love' by burly bus drivers in Leeds. As in 'whereyagoinluv?'.

It's strictly only for use when talking to the opposite sex in Blackpool, unlike some places in the midlands.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Prof Monica Grady on radio 4 just now describing the Philae lander as a 'washing machine sized object'. Bigger than a microwave then.

'Washing machine'; an excellent analogy, that even women can understand. Interesting to see how female scientists scale things.

Microsatellites are about the size of a handbag, I understand. Even greater precision can be reached using shoe sizes.

HOLA4417

Prof Monica Grady on radio 4 just now describing the Philae lander as a 'washing machine sized object'. Bigger than a microwave then.

Obviously I could microwave my trousers, but I find a washing machine more effective, if a little slower! :o

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
  • 6 months later...
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

My favourite so far:

Suckage: Lovelace

Named in honor of Ada Lovelace, the 19th-century mathematician and pioneer of programmable computing, the Lovelace (Ll) is the unit of how much a computer program sucks. The unit has been coined by members of the system administrator profession who hold a basic tenet that software that does not suck does not exist. According to the usenet alt.sysadmin.recovery FAQ,[48] one Lovelace is considered a rather large quantity. Similarly to other large units like the Farad and the Henry, SI prefixes are commonly used to denote practical quantities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_humorous_units_of_measurement

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

My favourite so far:

Suckage: Lovelace

Named in honor of Ada Lovelace, the 19th-century mathematician and pioneer of programmable computing, the Lovelace (Ll) is the unit of how much a computer program sucks. The unit has been coined by members of the system administrator profession who hold a basic tenet that software that does not suck does not exist. According to the usenet alt.sysadmin.recovery FAQ,[48] one Lovelace is considered a rather large quantity. Similarly to other large units like the Farad and the Henry, SI prefixes are commonly used to denote practical quantities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_humorous_units_of_measurement

Hmm. Sounds a bit misogynistic - how come the lady programmer gets a unit where 1 Lovelace is completely suck. She might have been a good programmer. Perhaps it should have been a unit of non-suck, where 1 Lovelace is completely unsuck.

[but I did hear the R4 documentary on Lovelace yesterday - she sounds like a candidate for 'batshit crazy' from 'one of the other threads', and I'm not entirely sure that she would have made non-suck code. Maybe the alt.sysadmin.recovery folk know more about the programming prowess of Lovelace than I do.]