House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Football Pitches, Jumbo Jets And The Niagra Falls.

BBC News just did a piece on the new aircraft carriers. The size was given in units of football pitches, jumbo jets and the Niagra falls, with no mention of normal units of measurement.

Feet, yards. metres, tons, tonnes, kg, I don't care which they use, but football pitches etc :rolleyes:.

The size of Wales.

Wales has over 1680 miles of coastline. That's more than 17000 Blackpool Towers long.

I've read a bit about chaos theory and I thought it was self repeating the more and more you magnify it and therefore infinitely long?

Blackpool Tower?

I've read a bit about chaos theory and I thought it was self repeating the more and more you magnify it and therefore infinitely long?

Yep, it depends on how big your ruler is. The smaller your instruement of measurement is the bigger something becomes... or something like that...

They explained this on the programme 'Coast' when they measured a tiny inlet (It might have been enormous in reality) using various different sized measuring devices.

Yep, it depends on how big your ruler is. The smaller your instruement of measurement is the bigger something becomes... or something like that...

They explained this on the programme 'Coast' when they measured a tiny inlet (It might have been enormous in reality) using various different sized measuring devices.

It's because coastlines are fractal.

How many jumbo jets fit in an Olympic-size swimming pool?

Have all Olympic size swimming pools been searched for wreckage of flight MH370?

I forgot to mention it yesterday, but in a later showing, they stated, "The ships wheel is, amazingly, only as big as the steering wheel of a Formula One car".

About half a baguette in diameter.

The eccentric millionaire Gulbelkian used a customised London Taxi cab as one of his personal cars.

He would tell his friends "apparently, it will turn on a sixpence - whatever that is."

It's because coastlines are fractal.

As is Julia Set!

'Tis a very commonly used unit of land mass in the media though as in ...."x is roughly the size of Wales".

In fact, you may even hear it today. Once you notice these things they just crop up all the time. A well know psychological phenomenon.

It's called Baader Meinhof Phenomenon.

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-baader-meinhof-phenomenon/4