House Price Crash Forum

Rowling Under Attack From Scottish Nationalists

crashmonitor

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10893567/JK-Rowling-subjected-to-Cybernat-abuse-after-1m-pro-UK-donation.html

Seems the intimidation factor could be an own goal for the SNP with even a Scottish charity joining in the abuse. With questions about Celtic purity this makes the SNP look like a bunch of thugs.

With the likes of Murray fearful of declaring his hand, it appears the SNP campaign has sealed its own coffin.

HOLA442

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10893567/JK-Rowling-subjected-to-Cybernat-abuse-after-1m-pro-UK-donation.html

With the likes of Murray fearful of declaring his hand, it appears the SNP campaign has sealed its own coffin.

It was always on the cards. Most thinking Scots will be voting to stay in the UK. The only problem is the backlash caused by English politicians trying to convince Scots to vote No. :)

HOLA443
HOLA444

It was always on the cards. Most thinking Scots will be voting to stay in the UK. The only problem is the backlash caused by English politicians trying to convince Scots to vote No. :)

They should just send Gove up there to tell the Scots to vote yes. Guaranteed no vote ensues!

HOLA445
HOLA446

I think sealed it's own coffin is a big of an overstatement. There are still three months of campaigning to go!

Can't say I'm fussed about JK Rowling to be honest, she's not Scottish, probably spends most of her time outside Scotland and won't be exposed to any of the issues (healthcare, pensions, cost of land, employment) that independence will affect.

She's a bit of a reversal of Connery isn't she...... lives in Scotland and is not Scottish, where as he is Scottish but chooses not to.

I think she takes an altruistic approach to this....if I liked Scotland and had oligarch style wealth....... why not become independent....totally irrelevant to her if the Scots can't pay the old age pensions, but she might love the idea of living in an independent country. Indeed if it does fail, the oligarchs tend to hit the jackpot Russian style....she could start buying up all the islands for a snip.

HOLA447

Seems the intimidation factor could be an own goal for the SNP with even a Scottish charity joining in the abuse. With questions about Celtic purity this makes the SNP look like a bunch of thugs.

I think this says more about the wonders of social media than about any particular political party. Compare with the treament that Kirstie Allsopp and Anthea Turner get on HPC.

HOLA448

I think sealed it's own coffin is a big of an overstatement. There are still three months of campaigning to go!

Can't say I'm fussed about JK Rowling to be honest, she's not Scottish, probably spends most of her time outside Scotland and won't be exposed to any of the issues (healthcare, pensions, cost of land, employment) that independence will affect.

She lives down the road from me. Been doing up her house for about two years now. Lovely big place - ****** knows what she is getting done to it though - bug trucks dropping stuff off almost daily.

Strange thing is it sits on very little land. So recently tried to buy 6 places surrounding her. Didn't go down well with the neighbours - two have sold - but the others didn't budge. Good on them. I will keep an eye on the land registry to find out how much they went for - unless that can be kept confidential ?

Interesting when there ate numerous ' small castle ' like places all around Scotland - that she chose one in an urban area and thought she could just buy up all the land around her - instead of getting one with the land already in place.

Probably gives a decent insight into what sort of person she is....

All in my own opinion of course :)

HOLA449

Yes, but to reinforce just how Scottish he is, he plays every role with a Scottish accent AND was (a most excellent) James Bond!

Which trumps writing a fairytale for (mostly) grown ups when you are on the campaign trail.

A toned down Scottish accent for Bond. Reminds me of Tenant..........a disguised Scottish for Dr Who and a full on for Broadchurch.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

When Connery is campaigning around the country for a free Scotland I just hope he keeps an eye of the number of days he is here so he can jet of home before he has to pay any tax.

Perhaps he has sought asylum from the English occupation and will be returning like de Gaulle when victory is secured.

HOLA4413

http://www.thepaperboy.com/uk/daily-express/front-pages-today.cfm?frontpage=36442

Rowling's face splashed on the front page of the Nationals.......yes the Unionists are up to mischief and making political capital out if this. And there might be other days when the SNP get there day....just send a Tory up there to campaign for a front page splash.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I've forgiven JK Rowling her Labour party donations in light of this recent doantion to save the UNION.

Scottish independence is hogwarts.

maybe she's just trying to save the labour party..knowing full well that they are consigned to the history books should they not get adequate representation in scotland(within the uk )

well she needs a bit more than harry potters conjourers tricks to stop that, the scots are a belligerent bunch(I should know)

they don't like being dictated to.

problem is,if they thought being dictated to by westminster was bad, just wait until they get completely bitch-slapped by brussels.(irish aren't exactly happy about it these days,but they have a get-out-of-jail-free card courtesy of uncle sam)

the scot nats don't quite twig they are being used.

HOLA4416

She lives down the road from me. Been doing up her house for about two years now. Lovely big place - ****** knows what she is getting done to it though - bug trucks dropping stuff off almost daily.

Strange thing is it sits on very little land. So recently tried to buy 6 places surrounding her. Didn't go down well with the neighbours - two have sold - but the others didn't budge. Good on them. I will keep an eye on the land registry to find out how much they went for - unless that can be kept confidential ?

Interesting when there ate numerous ' small castle ' like places all around Scotland - that she chose one in an urban area and thought she could just buy up all the land around her - instead of getting one with the land already in place.

Probably gives a decent insight into what sort of person she is....

All in my own opinion of course :)

Is this her house in the Morningside area? I think she has multiple properties though. I remember being shown one near Pitlochry, which was near to a pad that Ewan McGregor owned, and read that she owned property in America as well. Agree that she should just buy a big mansion with land and stop trying to socially engineer an already occupied urban area.

HOLA4417

why cant celebrities take a page out of Billys book and just not get involved.

Last thing I want is a US style celebrity culture where every preening idiot wanting to get their mug in the papers as much as possible has to take sides.

+1. I'm with Billy on this. Except I don't get to vote, though I will be in Scotland on polling day. :(

HOLA4418

why cant celebrities take a page out of Billys book and just not get involved.

Last thing I want is a US style celebrity culture where every preening idiot wanting to get their mug in the papers as much as possible has to take sides.

+1. I'm with Billy on this. Except I don't get to vote, though unlike him, I'll be in Scotland on polling day. :(

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Is this her house in the Morningside area? I think she has multiple properties though. I remember being shown one near Pitlochry, which was near to a pad that Ewan McGregor owned, and read that she owned property in America as well. Agree that she should just buy a big mansion with land and stop trying to socially engineer an already occupied urban area.

Nope her main house (she prob has others) using the dip on Whitehouse road towards barnton - big white castle sort if thing on the corner.

HOLA4422

I can't wear a kilt because my willy is too long!

Were you the only man in the Royal Navy who wasn't allowed to wear shorts with his tropical whites? Many of my colleagues laid claim to that honour. Unfortunately, it all came to nothing. :blink:

HOLA4423

Were you the only man in the Royal Navy who wasn't allowed to wear shorts with his tropical whites? Many of my colleagues laid claim to that honour. Unfortunately, it all came to nothing. :blink:

Ha ha, but this is a British site, where bawdyness is allowed! ;) And exaggerating! :lol:

HOLA4424

Independent: Scottish independence campaigner claims MI5 is leading dirty tricks campaign.

A veteran campaigner for Scottish independence has accused so-called cybernats who subjected author JK Rowling to a tirade of internet abuse of “opening the door” to a possible MI5 dirty tricks campaign to scupper a Yes vote in the forthcoming referendum.

Former SNP deputy leader Jim Sillars claimed it was “naïve” to think that the security forces were not involved in seeking to influence the outcome of September’s ballot which could see the break-up of the UK.

He told The Independent that he was personally aware of one secret agent having arrived in Glasgow.

[continues...]

I'm not convinced about MI5, but I think he does have a point. Twitter and the like make it very easy to disseminate comments that make one side or the other look very bad, and it's not improbable that some of it's being done deliberately by people seeking to discredit others. It's cheap, safe, and easy, so why not have a go? A few people with an agenda - even if they're just lone nutters - could do a lot of damage. Of course, it could equally well be nutters who end up discrediting their own side; how can we tell?

HOLA4425

Archived