House Price Crash Forum

G D P Hilarity!

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Old news, but yeah, madness isn't it. Adding illegal drugs to the GDP - just smoke and mirrors if you ask me ;)

I accept that the intention to include them is old news... the new news is that the ONS is publicising that it expects this to lift the GDP figure by 5% - or, in other words, we should knock 5% off any 'economic growth' figures we hear... and this is being reported in the media.

HOLA444

I accept that the intention to include them is old news... the new news is that the ONS is publicising that it expects this to lift the GDP figure by 5% - or, in other words, we should knock 5% off any 'economic growth' figures we hear... and this is being reported in the media.

It'll be a revalorisation exercise, so it won't officially be quoted as growth. However, the crucial thing is that this will be used to reduce debt to GDP ratios across Europe. Magic! :lol::o:ph34r:

HOLA445
HOLA446

That's not new news either:

"The Office for National Statistics estimated last month that drugs and prostitution would add almost 1 percent to British GDP, and said the total changes would raise GDP by 4-5 percent."

But I see they've firmed up the estimate a bit today, which is new and I hadn't appreciated.

I just wanted to crack a joke, s'all!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Quick, add my inactivity to GDP stats.

Seriously, this is how economists think. If you are breathing, you're producing economic output. :wacko:

Just you wait... I intend to propose adding the imputed value of your non-congestion to GDP in perpetuity once you die. What's more, as more people die, the value each contributes in successive years will increase exponentially, as - had they been immortal - the congestion each would cause would increase exponentially. GDP - Done! (as Gordon Ramsay would swear.)

Edited by A.steve

HOLA4410

Just you wait... I intend to propose adding the imputed value of your non-congestion to GDP in perpetuity once you die. What's more, as more people die, the value each contributes in successive years will increase exponentially, as - had they been immortal - the congestion each would cause would increase exponentially. GDP - Done! (as Gordon Ramsay would swear.)

Lets do it retrospectively, we'll be trillionaires

HOLA4411

Surely it does make sense to make some measure of the black market.

From what I recall. There are 300+ million smokers in China and less than 10 million smokers in the UK, but because of the difference in price of tobacco in the two countries, the amount they add to GDP is similar.

The biggest problem is, is that the black market is induced by the state due to high taxation, or the outright ban of certain trade.

If drugs (including alcohol and tobacco) were legal, and not taxed prohibitively (technically illegal for the poor), then we could measure living standards across countries using GDP.

The drugs trade and wider black market provides a lot of employment and does boost living standards.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

So the Ministry Of Information are erasing the effects of the 2008 crash from history.

Whoosh, just like that and it's gone. No triplle dip, no double dip, no dip at all. We never had it so good, amazing! :huh:

Wonder what the new vs. old UK GDP graph looks like?

HOLA4414

Surely it does make sense to make some measure of the black market.

From what I recall. There are 300+ million smokers in China and less than 10 million smokers in the UK, but because of the difference in price of tobacco in the two countries, the amount they add to GDP is similar.

The biggest problem is, is that the black market is induced by the state due to high taxation, or the outright ban of certain trade.

If drugs (including alcohol and tobacco) were legal, and not taxed prohibitively (technically illegal for the poor), then we could measure living standards across countries using GDP.

The drugs trade and wider black market provides a lot of employment and does boost living standards.

Thought provoking as usual.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

So the Ministry Of Information are erasing the effects of the 2008 crash from history.

Whoosh, just like that and it's gone. No triplle dip, no double dip, no dip at all. We never had it so good, amazing! :huh:

Wonder what the new vs. old UK GDP graph looks like?

Not really. An estimated £113bn will be added to the national debt at the same time,

1. To account for the de facto renationalisation of the railways.

2. To reclassify the 'temporary liquidity intervention' in Lloyds/RBS as a permanent bailout/transfer.

HOLA4417

It's a farce. On the radio yesterday some expert called Dominic was gushing about how much the economy was growing with reference to the GDP figures.

No explanation about how they've achieved such a rapid change just as the general election approaches and of course not referencing the huge increase in debt and all the manipulations of the GDP figures.

The programme was so on message it was like in the politicians' pocket.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4418

Apparently an increase in UK GDP of 4.4% is now on the cards so add in all the extra stuff and it could be getting on for an annual rate of 10% at least for a while. It'll be interesting to hear how they explain that sort of figure when things just seem to be getting worse and worse for most UK people.

More people will be asking "Growth in what?"