House Price Crash Forum

Austerity Britain - Bins To Be Emptied Every 3 Weeks

HOLA441

I pay for this shit

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/news/11177354.Timperley_residents_help____pilot____Greater_Manchester_wide_recycling_campaign/?ref=nt

RESIDENTS who are failing to recycle the correct items could be given a red card under a new scheme.

Council chiefs say the Right Stuff, Right Bin recycling campaign, which is taking place across most Greater Manchester authorities, will help residents to put items in the correct bin.

Each participating household will be visited by teams who will indicate on each recycling bin whether or not the correct items have been included.

Green thank you tags will be left on all bins where the right stuff has been recycled.

On those where the wrong items have been left in the recycling bins, red tags will be left and the bins wont be collected.

The tag will include a reminder of which items can be put in the bin for next time.

Anyone with a red tag left on their recycling bin is being encouraged to remove the items and contact Access Trafford on 0161 912 4000 to arrange for the crew to return and empty the bin.

As if its a free service in the first place

Edited by 7 Year Itch

HOLA442

I actually make an effort to use recycling (the collection is pretty good, it's weekly and there's a depot near me too for any excess) and as a result only put my rubbish bin out once every 6 weeks or so when it's full.

Despite that, many times that I put it out the back there's some sort of hassle - either with neighbours trying to stuff their extra rubbish in it causing the lid not to close and thus the bin not to be collected/emptied , or the bin going 'missing' as some people clearly like to commandeer extra bin capacity for all the crap they produce. It's a right pain and I've taken to leaving the bin out as late as possible the evening before and trying to get back home as soon as possible after the collection to get it before it's nabbed.

Since the collections went two-weekly this problem has got even worse. If they went to three weeks I dread to think what would happen with the people who seem to do little but generate mountains of waste.

Some of them don't recycle anything.

Some people used to pinch bins for fun. God knows what they did with them.

Am I right in thinking that single people get issued with exactly the same number and size bins as a large family of 5/6 people?

If you have enough people you can have 2 bins.

A lot of people on our street (Childminders and other mass mess generators) had 2 bins.

A letter came round and said they'd have to prove they were entitled to 2 bins - there are various allowances for some groups and large numbers of adults. But they all let their second bin go.

One childminder's husband takes the dirty nappies to throw in skips at work now.

HOLA443

The only useful job a council does...now it wants to do this every 3 weeks!

just take your bags of refuse to the town hall and leave them in there.

then they will be emptied the same day!

HOLA444

I never put any cooked food into the compst as they will attract rodents. Incidentally, I you shouldn't feed birds too much bread as it doesn't contain adequate protein for their diet. Too much can even kill them.

What cooked food do you waste? Don't put on your plate what you can't eat, what is left over can be eaten the following day....even stale bread can make a delicious bread and butter pudding. :)

Rat proof. ;)

compost-bin-005_650-500x500.jpg

HOLA445
HOLA446

Every three weeks would be fine with me.....food bin is hardly ever used, love food hate waste, only used for meat and fish bones...the birds eat any crumbs, fat can be made into fat balls with seed, rice, they love old apples and pears etc...peelings, tea bags, egg shells etc made into compost......go shopping with an old bag, ikea blue bags are good, from trolly to car, great for laundry also.....so only recycled stuff mainly glass, tins, paper and plastic is collected..... ;)

Exactly the same here .....Caerphilly council were selling 220 litre compost Dalecks for £10 , got two, as long as no meats and dairy goes in they are fine been feeding both for a year now ,still not got any compost out as yet , but no matter how many times I've brimmed them with garden waste they drop down to two thirds after a week .I'm wondering if there is a Jabba the hut sized slug in the base ? , when I shop I occasionally drop off at the recycle if I feel the urge .

Edited by Tankus

HOLA447

A wormery will take care of cooked food, and produces useful compost in around six weeks together with large quantities of liquid plant fertiliser.

We're already on a fortnightly rubbish bin collection. It mostly works, but it's a long time if you forget the day/week and if you're having a clear out. When we were renovating the house last year we'd be having to store rubbish in the house because the bin would be full almost as soon as it was emptied.

It has calmed down a bit now though.

HOLA448

Fantastic logic, if those whose pay comes from taxes are paid less they pay less tax reducing the tax take and therefore not helping the deficit. The thought process of the public sector ladies and gentleman, behold the madness and despair !

Well.. you cut pay, so you lose tax take (at the marginal rate), and you quite possible end up topping up with tax credits, and/or lose spending power (VAT etc, plus the loss of employment, etc..)

Hacking away at the public sector is a terrible way to cut the deficit in a demand-constrained, high-unemployment economy.

HOLA449

Well.. you cut pay, so you lose tax take (at the marginal rate), and you quite possible end up topping up with tax credits, and/or lose spending power (VAT etc, plus the loss of employment, etc..)

Hacking away at the public sector is a terrible way to cut the deficit in a demand-constrained, high-unemployment economy.

Blimey. The pay comes from taxation. Is this the twilight zone?

Edited by cybernoid

HOLA4410

Yet another example of the green agenda being used to justify cuts in services.

People won't produce less waste, they'll just overfill bins, chuck it into neighbour's bins, fly tip, burn it, take it to work, chuck it in bins on the high street...

Nothing that will make one jot of difference to the environment, but some left-wing box ticker with BO and no girlfriend will be able to masturbate soundly at night.

HOLA4411

Our grey bin is rarely a 1/3 full. The one week it was full was due to me dealing with someone else's rubbish cos they were a complete and utter twit of the highest order.

Every 3 weeks would probably be ok.

We have food waste bins collected every week.

Why are you wasting food?

I have a fantastic compost heap, even though I do not do gardening!

HOLA4412

Why are you wasting food?

I have a fantastic compost heap, even though I do not do gardening!

I'm not. It's only got chicken bones in at the moment - although they didn't come and empty it on Wednesday.

It doesn't go out very often.

All the scraps normally go for the birds.

I have one or two compost heaps.

Edited by SarahBell

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Blimey. The pay comes from taxation. Is this the twilight zone?

If pay came from taxation there wouldn't be a deficit would there.

Pay comes from bond buyers (City, China) and quantitative easing.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The State needs to shrink by more than 50%. Let people manage their own lives. That way tax rates can fall to say 10-15% flat rate for everyone.

Of course.

But an *actual* proposed argument up thread is that when you pay the state less the state itself pays less tax which won't help the deficit. Its amazing.

HOLA4418

What cooked food do you waste? Don't put on your plate what you can't eat, what is left over can be eaten the following day....even stale bread can make a delicious bread and butter pudding. :)

Rat proof. ;)

compost-bin-005_650-500x500.jpg

We are pretty fastidious about not wasting anything and the black bin is sweet smelling and virtually empty after two weeks with no food waste whatsoever. Being a vegetarian helps, no rotting meat carcass. Very little waste, even with the veggie stuff, will eat the apple skin if I am making a crumble for example, will save the core for a horse nearby. In the case of an eating apple I would eat the whole thing anyway pips and all.