House Price Crash Forum

Calling All Expat Hpc'ers.... Where Do You Live And What Are House Prices Like Where You Live?

Badhairday

HOLA441
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest TheBlueCat

ADT, wich adds about GBP 30.00 / month to expenses.

Never had to call them luckily.

Glad to hear it (not needing to call them that is).

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA443
HOLA444

I live in Central Portugal, quite near Coimbra in a small town. I just bought a large four bedroom place with a large garden for 27.5k Euros which needs a fair bit of work. Have spent about 10k on it so far and it is liveable.

You can rent a decent three bedroom house for about 250 Euros a month.

If you move further away from the coast the prices are even cheaper (Guarda is incredibly cheap, but is very remote indeed and as cold as Britain due to altitude).

• 1 year later...
HOLA445
HOLA446

Nearly 2 years on since this thread was created Feb 2014.

I wondered what people thought now and have some moved on?

Have you emigrated or are you still in the UK?

I'm still seriously looking at emigrating. With a fair wind about this time next year I should be pretty close to jumping ship. Malta still on the table but also seriously investigating Spain and Cyprus.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Have you emigrated or are you still in the UK?

I'm still seriously looking at emigrating. With a fair wind about this time next year I should be pretty close to jumping ship. Malta still on the table but also seriously investigating Spain and Cyprus.

I'm still renting in the UK with options open.

Maybe I start thinking more about other places in the winter, when I'm missing the longer sunnier days!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I'm still renting in the UK with options open.

Maybe I start thinking more about other places in the winter, when I'm missing the longer sunnier days!

Have you done any on the ground research of other places during the winter?

I think when we last had a bit of banter southern Italy was still on the list. That is one location that we have ruled out after some on the ground winter investigation.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

"To escape the hell that is France"... what nonsense - they usually have family ties in the UK (pre-existing) - and so on. Also, they've reduced access to benefits in France too. France has a far higher immigrant population than the UK already. As for an "arid concrete slum" - do you travel much? Spend my whole life traveling and it sure isn't! Many immigrants driven by a mythical idea of their destination, anyway! https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/unhappy-in-europe-some-iraqis-return-home/2015/12/30/cc1d106c-a33c-11e5-8318-bd8caed8c588_story.html?tid=pm_world_pop_b

We tend to forget the rest of the world is expensive. I would always pay the premium for the social capital and environment that the UK offers. The rest of the world always appears to be a bit of an arid concrete slum with small oasis pockets favoured by tourists.

Granted it isn't that great for younger generations who have to put up with boomer centric bias.

We might not think it is that great here, but the immigrants at Calais are queueing up to escape the hell that is France. Meanwhile we head for the oasis' like the Dordogne because we may not have to work on our fat public sector pensions. Choosing the best the rest of the world has to offer, probably about 1% of the planet, is an unfair comparison of the UK...don't ask me, ask the immigrants desperate to get in.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Asset prices will continue to go up against fiat money, with setbacks on the way (e.g. 2008). We haven't seen the end of fiat yet.

Indeed. And the willingness of the people to accept these levels of debt and wage suppression, maintains the demand for fiat currency.

HOLA4415

French Riviera. Just announced by the Notaires Association (like the UK land registry ) that prices in this region fell 7% in 2015. The Var region next door fell 3%.

Both expected to continue to fall in 2016. Happy days.

Is that for the houses above water, or under water :D

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Would recommend Croatia, if wanting to retire, or can WFH .

£120K will get you a 4 bed house on the Adriatic. Sunshine, community spirit, mild climate (rarely freezes in Winter) low council tax, low utilities. Most have wood burning stoves, fruit abounds, catch fish, v little council tax (so dont need much for utilities or groceries) and super clean streets unlike the rat infested litter strewn streets of Guildford (yes Guildford!) Stunning women and scenery.

V low crime (I hitched once from the village to town about 4km - people still do this here) and a women with a baby in the back of her car picked me up and didnt know me from Adam. Would never happen in the UK.

Of course v low wages so would need a small source of income

HOLA4418

Would recommend Croatia, if wanting to retire, or can WFH .

£120K will get you a 4 bed house on the Adriatic. Sunshine, community spirit, mild climate (rarely freezes in Winter) low council tax, low utilities. Most have wood burning stoves, fruit abounds, catch fish, v little council tax (so dont need much for utilities or groceries) and super clean streets unlike the rat infested litter strewn streets of Guildford (yes Guildford!) Stunning women and scenery.

V low crime (I hitched once from the village to town about 4km - people still do this here) and a women with a baby in the back of her car picked me up and didnt know me from Adam. Would never happen in the UK.

Of course v low wages so would need a small source of income

If you bought a place for £120k what do you think full minimal (so no discretionary/entertainment) running costs (inc house/car repairs/depreciation) per month would be for:

1. a couple?

2. a couple + a couple of little ones?

HOLA4419

Wish I could afford one - thanks for your query. To be honest it is difficult to say as have holiday pad there (been going for nearly 30 year) so do not currently live there full time. Food in supermarkets are on a par with UK prices if you go to the big supermarkets. Domestic alcohol is cheap and local produce at markets can be very cheap. Do not know about running costs of cars. Very little houses have gas mainly from bottles for cooking. Electricity is IIRC the same as UK, water cheap. You can sunbathe in Nov and so it is very mild. Council tax is about £200 a year. Local builders plumbers trademan are very good and can be very reasonable.cheap but care not to pay over the going rate It is important if you buy to make sure you get clean paperwork for the property and check building permit (the conveyancer will not actually do this so check yourself)

The average Croatian wage is about £500 per month; one of the very few things Croatians complain is low wages but they seem to get buy and be happy. However there is a lot of burocracy if you want to start a business over there. . You can look here for further info. There are not very many ex-pats http://visitcroatia.proboards.com/board/7/living-working-croatia

HOLA4420

Wish I could afford one - thanks for your query. To be honest it is difficult to say as have holiday pad there (been going for nearly 30 year) so do not currently live there full time. Food in supermarkets are on a par with UK prices if you go to the big supermarkets. Domestic alcohol is cheap and local produce at markets can be very cheap. Do not know about running costs of cars. Very little houses have gas mainly from bottles for cooking. Electricity is IIRC the same as UK, water cheap. You can sunbathe in Nov and so it is very mild. Council tax is about £200 a year. Local builders plumbers trademan are very good and can be very reasonable.cheap but care not to pay over the going rate It is important if you buy to make sure you get clean paperwork for the property and check building permit (the conveyancer will not actually do this so check yourself)

The average Croatian wage is about £500 per month; one of the very few things Croatians complain is low wages but they seem to get buy and be happy. However there is a lot of burocracy if you want to start a business over there. . You can look here for further info. There are not very many ex-pats http://visitcroatia.proboards.com/board/7/living-working-croatia

Cheers for the information. I'm looking further south to the Med but it's always interesting to compare notes.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Looking at buying in South Africa as Mrs Panza has rellies there.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=ZAR&view=10Y

Just in terms of GBP/ZAR prices have dropped 50% nominally.Having said that,the economy is cratering due to incompetence,corruption and commodities getting a pasting,so even if the currency holds,there's a decent chance of asking prices dropping once the kite flyers give up.How long that will take I'm not sure,they've all been reared on the 'it always goes up' mantra.

I've seen places that have been for sale for five years wth no takers in the boonies.

Here's a nice example

http://www.property24.com/for-sale/sandbaai/hermanus/western-cape/7845/103357047

In Hermanus-big in the whale watching world.£150k sea front,four beds,decent plot.

I've noticed that of late the market has been suffering a lack of transactions,particularly above the 1 million rand level once you're outside Cape town.

HOLA4423

Just in terms of GBP/ZAR prices have dropped 50% nominally.Having said that,the economy is cratering due to incompetence,corruption and commodities getting a pasting,so even if the currency holds,there's a decent chance of asking prices dropping once the kite flyers give up.How long that will take I'm not sure,they've all been reared on the 'it always goes up' mantra.

I've seen places that have been for sale for five years wth no takers in the boonies.

Here's a nice example

http://www.property24.com/for-sale/sandbaai/hermanus/western-cape/7845/103357047

In Hermanus-big in the whale watching world.£150k sea front,four beds,decent plot.

I've noticed that of late the market has been suffering a lack of transactions,particularly above the 1 million rand level once you're outside Cape town.

South Africa is the most beautiful country I've visited.

And by far the best value for money - and that was at 12 rand to the £. Must be phenomenal now.

Only a 50% chance of being murdered whilst sleeping too :)

HOLA4424

Here's a nice example

I've got rellies in south africa. The best future would be a massive civil war with the whites coming to a peace agreement where they were allowed their own homeland, with no blacks at all. I reckon it would be a mini Israel in a sea of chaos within 3 decades...

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4425

I live in Sydney now. Have done for 5 years with young family. Purchased a house in 2012 so I can live the landlord-free lifestyle and despite all the extra work involved in maintaining it, I do like owning over renting. However having a family plays a big part in that desire.

I like living here. There are good opportunities for IT workers although pay would be better in London. I like the climate and the people we have met are friendly. Seems a bit more laid back here.

I don't like the driving attitude, it is almost impossible to be let into another lane without forcing your way in. At least when I left the UK driving seemed more polite. The trains are slow but probably as a result much more reliable. The other day a train was 10 minutes late and I was shocked. It rarely happens here. I am talking about local trains, have no idea about the inter-city ones.

Less of a drinking culture. I.e. if you say no to having an alcoholic drink it wont bet met with 'whats wrong with you' or 'come aaaaan', which I think is a positive. It is silly the drinking culture in the UK and especially the pressure to get drunk.

Would recommend Sydney for raising a family. Especially at the younger age with the good weather and the outdoor things to do. At university age I think the choices are better in the UK though but there are some decent technology universities in Sydney.

It feels more multicultural here than in the UK although maybe comparable to London. The places I have worked have had people from all over the world and it seems every ethnicity has a presence here so I really like that now that I am used to it. However perhaps that is more of a city vs. country town thing than a UK/Australia thing.