House Price Crash Forum

Calling All Expat Hpc'ers.... Where Do You Live And What Are House Prices Like Where You Live?

Perth (Australia)

Economy in freefall meltdown.

According to news article Rents down 12% YOY

Prices down 6% YOY

8500 vacant properties on the rental market.

Two anecdotals I have commented on in Oz thread have taken months to rent with huge reductions on what they were intially offered at. Properties in the premium end of the market.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Sydney now. Have done for 5 years with young family. Purchased a house in 2012 so I can live the landlord-free lifestyle and despite all the extra work involved in maintaining it, I do like owning over renting. However having a family plays a big part in that desire.

I like living here. There are good opportunities for IT workers although pay would be better in London. I like the climate and the people we have met are friendly. Seems a bit more laid back here.

I don't like the driving attitude, it is almost impossible to be let into another lane without forcing your way in. At least when I left the UK driving seemed more polite. The trains are slow but probably as a result much more reliable. The other day a train was 10 minutes late and I was shocked. It rarely happens here. I am talking about local trains, have no idea about the inter-city ones.

Less of a drinking culture. I.e. if you say no to having an alcoholic drink it wont bet met with 'whats wrong with you' or 'come aaaaan', which I think is a positive. It is silly the drinking culture in the UK and especially the pressure to get drunk.

Would recommend Sydney for raising a family. Especially at the younger age with the good weather and the outdoor things to do. At university age I think the choices are better in the UK though but there are some decent technology universities in Sydney.

It feels more multicultural here than in the UK although maybe comparable to London. The places I have worked have had people from all over the world and it seems every ethnicity has a presence here so I really like that now that I am used to it. However perhaps that is more of a city vs. country town thing than a UK/Australia thing.

Maybe down the the obscene cost of buying a pint in a pub ?

• 1 month later...

Am in the process of buying (compromis de vente stage) in France in the Haute Savoie, approx 200 sqm house costing in total 530K Euro, with mountain views in most directions and in a village setting. I estimate the equivalent house in M4 commuter corridor west of London would be £800K + with no views to speak of, so our France house is about half the price and much better quality, with underfloor heating throughout. We have been renting in the UK since 2003 (sold up owned house in West London to rent), so this is our well earned escape from the UK.

I have followed HPC forum for over 15 years, but rarely posted. Am apathetic to the whole housing situation in the UK, its been overpriced in my mind for over 30 years or more, at least double what house prices should be.

Anyway, I wish everyone the best for future.

Thank you AgentImmo and DavidG and many others for their France posts, I have always enjoyed reading them.

• 3 months later...

In mid-May we completed the purchase of our French house, it went surprisingly well with a meeting in our notaire's office (in Annecy) with the seller's notaire, seller and estate agent all present. The meeting was very high tech in my view with all the final documents presented and explained on a large LCD screen for all to see. The process was conducted in both French and English with the final signatures on an electronic tablet. This whole process and all the communications leading up to the final signing was a real pleasure. I somehow doubt this happen in the UK, ok, maybe not as bad as using the quill pen in the Sarah Beany estate agent advert.

We are now in the process of getting the utilities sorted, broadband, selling UK car and buying French registered LHD car, all takes time ahead of our move date in a few weeks time.

Happy to explain further if anybody is interested.

• 2 months later...

I've got rellies in south africa. The best future would be a massive civil war with the whites coming to a peace agreement where they were allowed their own homeland, with no blacks at all. I reckon it would be a mini Israel in a sea of chaos within 3 decades...

South Africa local elections: ANC loses power in Johannesburg for first time

Obviously I hope it doesn't happen, but where do you think this homeland would be?

• 1 month later...

Renting in Andorra for the last 6 years. Rents are decent (€2000 for 4 bed house) and fixed for 5 years, however they have gone up lately due to influx of French and Spanish escaping local taxation and information exchange on undeclared money in Andorra. Property prices here have to be taken with a grain of salt. There is zero transparency here so you get no idea of what things sell for. Me with my feet on the ground know that on some properties the difference between advertised price vs sold price can be as high as 50%.

Due to information exchange on money in the bank there are 2 huge movements. People moving into Andorra to be tax resident, most tend to rent for the moment. People taking their dirty money out and selling up before the deadline. Bargains can be had but no one advertises these and you got to be in the know.

Edited by soldintime
On 01/06/2016 at 10:31 AM, seymour said:

In mid-May we completed the purchase of our French house, it went surprisingly well with a meeting in our notaire's office (in Annecy) with the seller's notaire, seller and estate agent all present. The meeting was very high tech in my view with all the final documents presented and explained on a large LCD screen for all to see. The process was conducted in both French and English with the final signatures on an electronic tablet. This whole process and all the communications leading up to the final signing was a real pleasure. I somehow doubt this happen in the UK, ok, maybe not as bad as using the quill pen in the Sarah Beany estate agent advert.

We are now in the process of getting the utilities sorted, broadband, selling UK car and buying French registered LHD car, all takes time ahead of our move date in a few weeks time.

Happy to explain further if anybody is interested.

Where in France did you buy, if you don't mind? I love the place myself, but many reasonably priced areas are also quite dull. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the really  late reply.

We bought in a town called Marignier in the Haute-Savoie. It's 35-40 mins to Geneva, Chamonix and Annecy. Love it here, just bought my ski season pass (~500 Euros) for the Grand Massif ski area, 20 min drive away, 4-5 ski areas all interlinked. From our house I can see 2-3 of the runs down, made clearer by the recent snowfall. My French is slowly improving, but really must put more effort into it. Have made contact with the local Ski Marignier/Thyez ski club who organise weekly skiing at different ski areas on Sundays, should be a good way to meet more people and improve my French. My 18 yo son is continuing piano lessons at the Marignier music school, which my cunning plan for him to likewise get out and meet others and improve his French.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought near Seattle in 2012 for ~$520k.  4 bedroom house, 2700 sqft on nearly an acre.  Seattle seems to be going through a mini-boom now, probably caused by Bay Area tech industry transplants.  Zillow reckons the house is going to be work north of 800k next year.  Seriously thinking about selling up and just renting, as I can't see it lasting.

• 1 month later...

I moved to Somerset West, near Cape Town 5 years ago.  House prices are cheap compared to the UK, but wages are also much lower here and there is no NHS.  We were living in an 86sqm semi bungalow in Essex that we owed about £50K on the mortgage.  The sale of the UK house allowed us to buy a 300sqm+ house on a 2088sqm plot outright and still left us with change!

Here is an example of a house in Somerset West: https://www.property24.com/for-sale/westridge/somerset-west/western-cape/9018/104457545

At one point in 2016 the GBP/ZAR was around R24/£, but this has now come down to R17/£ due to the uncertainty over BREXIT.  You can find a big place here for around £200K.

There are loads of wealthy Europeans who buy holiday houses in Somerset West to avoid the European Winter.  They are mostly Germans with the Irish being a distant 2nd.  These European "swallows" buy "lock up and go" houses.  These are either flats or houses in security estates, which they come to for 3 months in Winter.  Europeans can only stay for 90 days as tourists, so they would require some form of residency or VISA if they want to stay for more than 90 days in a row without leaving the country.  I know of a Norwegian woman who had a sea view flat in Strand beachfront who overstayed her 90 days.  The immigration people have classed her as an "undesirable" and banned her from entering South Africa for 3 years even though she owns a flat here!

I've just been looking for rentals in Chicago.  It seems like $1700 pm can get you a two bedroom place in a "trendy" part of town, although not particularly luxurious.  Nice rentals in the smart part of town go for $2000 pm for a one bedroom.  Of course, if you go into the bad parts of town you can buy a house for under $100,000.  Something for everybody!  In terms of purchasing, it seems very different to London in that you can spend as much or as little as you like really.  The crapholes here are genuinely cheap unlike London, although the areas are far worse.  Regular people can buy a decent place to live though.