• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Matthew Pointon (@matpointon) tweeted at 8:24 am on Wed, Jan 29, 2014:

Interesting fact from the #Nationwide release - over half of new mortgages are now for terms of over 25 years.

(

)

What caught my eye was the rising number of FTBs as a portion of the mortgage market and the very conservative figures, median income £37k, 80% LTV, <4x multiples. Suspect its the old CML joint/single confusion.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Interesting fact from the #Nationwide release - over half of new mortgages are now for terms of over 25 years.

(

)

What caught my eye was the rising number of FTBs as a portion of the mortgage market and the very conservative figures, median income £37k, 80% LTV, <4x multiples. Suspect its the old CML joint/single confusion.

One of their reports last year said the average term had moved from 25 to 28 years.

I've seen HTB "up to 35 years". They used the monthly payments to make buying look cheaper than renting. No mention of the extra mortgage interest of course.

When we get to 50 year mortgages, if the low is 30 years, the average could 40+ years?

Then equity release when you stop working, so 70% to 100% of the equity goes while receiving only 30% of it to spend. No inheritance for the children means they stay on the hamster wheel, with nothing to help clear their debt. The amount of interest paid buying and releasing is going to be astronomical.

HOLA4411

One of their reports last year said the average term had moved from 25 to 28 years.

I've seen HTB "up to 35 years". They used the monthly payments to make buying look cheaper than renting. No mention of the extra mortgage interest of course.

When we get to 50 year mortgages, if the low is 30 years, the average could 40+ years?

Then equity release when you stop working, so 70% to 100% of the equity goes while receiving only 30% of it to spend. No inheritance for the children means they stay on the hamster wheel, with nothing to help clear their debt. The amount of interest paid buying and releasing is going to be astronomical.

Ye of little faith. These are just savvy entrepreneurs who are being discriminated against by the withdrawal of unfairly maligned IO products. They'll be paying off their mortgages in double quick time, not using the extended term.

Just ask jonpo.

HOLA4412

(

)

So people can only afford to buy with a 30+ year mortgage?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Just ask jonpo.

Credit conditions can and do change.. but mortgage term tends to be driven by working lifetime.. so the older you are the less term you have to repay.. this starts to be a problem if first time buyers are in their 30s... but what no one has mentioned yet is that repayment mortgages are front loaded and constantly reducing the leverage/principle so after 10-15 years the repayments will be much lower compared to rent which are constantly adjusting for inflation so as to remain static in real terms.

of course there is a wide range of products even now and terms can be reduced or increased with overpayments.. flexible offset mortgages.. switching porting etc ...

Edited to add:

This rise of 0.7% surely indicative of a sharply falling prices... massive repossessions and the total implosion of credit availability no ?

Edited by jonpo

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Credit conditions can and do change.. but mortgage term tends to be driven by working lifetime.. so the older you are the less term you have to repay.. this starts to be a problem if first time buyers are in their 30s... but what no one has mentioned yet is that repayment mortgages are front loaded and constantly reducing the leverage/principle so after 10-15 years the repayments will be much lower compared to rent which are constantly adjusting for inflation so as to remain static in real terms.

of course there is a wide range of products even now and terms can be reduced or increased with overpayments.. flexible offset mortgages.. switching porting etc ...

Edited to add:

This rise of 0.7% surely indicative of a sharply falling prices... massive repossessions and the total implosion of credit availability no ?

Mortgage repayments are not "front-loaded", (whatever the ****** that means) in the way you seem to be saying. And in a low rate, low wage inflation environment the mechanism you are badly trying to describe has far less effect.

HOLA4420

Certainly seeing asking price rises of about 15% from only a few months ago in my search area.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42669151.html

200K for the above slave box, id say its worth less then half of that.

:huh: You can get a four bed detached for considerably less in my part of Wales.

Edit to add

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23596158.html 4 bed detached

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43520519.html 4 bed semi

Edited by Mr. Miyagi

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Sales volumes being what they are there are many of these types of seller going to be disappointed IMO.

They do seem to be selling and prices are close to asking.

This one was for sale last year with a different agent at around 175K, i offered 150K last week and was told to clear off ... apparently several others have put in similar bids.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41283658.html

This one sold for 145K in June and has now sold STC at around 200K after a splash of paint and a new carpet

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43515416.html

There is literally bugger all of anything even resembling value and my search area is from Christchurch all the way through to Basingstoke.

Good to know that working my balls off on oil rigs and going to shytholes around the globe has paid off!

I was mocking those on Benefits Street yesterday but in reality it is i that is the idiot thinking working pays.

Edited by BananaMan

HOLA4425