House Price Crash Forum

The £50Million Fixer-Upper: Neglected Grade Ii Mayfair Mansion Is Offered To Brave Buyers

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2547300/The-50MILLION-fixer-upper-Grade-II-mansion-Mayfair-offered-brave-buyers.html

Home will boast seven palatial bedroom suites, eight state rooms, a leisure complex and private cinema

Main bedroom suite will be spread across 2,000 sq/ft, which is twice the size of the average new UK home

There will be an eight person lift, mews home for guests or staff, wine room, office and high security vaults

Property currently has listed Chinese wallpaper and silk wall mountings which will be removed and reinstated

article-2547300-1B06105700000578-341_964x799.jpg

A BTL dream, imagine the uproar to turning it into up market flats!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I wish the article gave a little more detail about its history. That aside, I think I prefer the 'before' pictures...

+1. The new look is hardly in keeping. The ''nature decoration'' above the fireplace looks like late Georgian handpainted wallpaper to me. Looks like there is going to me no attempt to preserve the character or history of the building.

HOLA445

I wish the article gave a little more detail about its history. That aside, I think I prefer the 'before' pictures...

Agree - I'd much prefer to live in it as it is rather than the blinged-up S**** artist's impression of what it will most likely look like after some tax-fiddling f*****r has had there way with it.

Why do rich people have no taste?

HOLA446
HOLA447

I see no mansion pictured.

€2,800,000 - Garryhankard House & Stud, Upton, Innishannon, Co. Cork

YWNhNWJkMWE3ZWQ3NDYzMDExMzM5YmNlMzVmMTFlZmQDBCCos043xadTSSP5WDAkaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmRhZnQuaWUvcHJvcGVydHktaW1hZ2UvelN1LUd2MV8zbVFvaHBUbmdETVNfTjV3Z29IallseGdIMm8tNk1LZk56eHNQVGd3TUE9PS5qcGd8NjA5fHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kYWZ0LmllL2kvd2F0ZXJtYXJrLnBuZz92PTF8fHw=.jpg

Exquisite Georgian residence and stud farm, surrounded by parkland in a magnificent private setting

Garryhankard House sits on an elevated site offering spectacular views an through mature woodland and magnificent gardens to a large gravel terrace at the front of the house. Garryhankard House is one of the finest houses in Cork. The present owners have invested considerable time and expenditure meticulously and sensitively restoring and extending the house, while being mindful to retain the integrity of the period features.

Their efforts went far beyond the residence with a state of the art fantastic stable yard and equestrian facilities, all surrounded by wonderful parkland, gardens and amazing trees in a peaceful setting.

The residence makes a superb family home, conveniently laid out and, although it impresses by its grandeur, it very much feels like a home. The house has an appealing combination of grand and more intimate reception rooms on a manageable scale. The rooms are bright and well-proportioned and are a show case for delicate plaster work in the neo-classical style of the late 18th century. Throughout the house there are exquisite features, such as parquet floors, marble columns, impressive carved stone and original fireplaces, fine ornate plasterwork ceilings and walls, wood panelling and sash windows. Many of the rooms lead out to the sunny terraces and gardens.

Without doubt the indoor swimming pool complex, which adjoins the house is a remarkable addition.

There is the added benefit of a pretty two bedroom gate lodge at the front gates, a three bedroom Coach house by the stable yard, a two bedroom staff cottage and a large office suite to the rear of the main house.

Land

There are c. 38.85 acres at Garryhankard in 10 paddocks all in grass. The land is top quality free draining limestone land which is stud fenced and has water supply in all the fields. There is plenty of natural shelter and numerous mature trees around the entire boundary. The house and yards sit centrally surrounded by the lands for utmost privacy.

Grounds and Gardens

At the front of the house is an elegant terrace which overlooks the sweeping lawns and down to the lake below. Stone steps lead down to the tiered gardens which are both formal with sculptured hedging and trees and soft with herbaceous beds and flowering shrubs. The immaculate lawns lead down to a majestic ornamental lake surrounded by wild flowers, planting and a wooded walk. At the top of the gardens by the house, is a fantastic putting green.

The mature trees surrounding the house and gardens offer a great sense of peace and privacy.

London is different I hear you say.

Yes it is, it's bloody expensive!

Why?

Because it's a bubble.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Facinating. What was the previous use, why was the building stripped, who owned it then and who has owned it since in a derelict state for years, in the middle of Mayfair. These are the things we need to know!

Seems to be a classic example of property hoarding. Amazing how many empty homes there are around Mayfair and Belgravia. Exclusive London always feels like a ghost town to me. They are not homes, they are investments.

HOLA4411
With a large courtyard garden and a linked Mews house at the rear extending in all to 14,788 square feet, planning permission has been granted to extend the house further to almost 22,000 square feet which will include a new basement level spa area with sumptuous interior design sympathetic to the historical importance of the house.

http://wetherell.co.uk/wetherell-blog/grand-grade-ii-listed-mansion/

So that's around £3.4k per square foot for a derelict building.

HOLA4412

Seems to be a classic example of property hoarding. Amazing how many empty homes there are around Mayfair and Belgravia. Exclusive London always feels like a ghost town to me. They are not homes, they are investments.

Probably somebody foreign then! You should look after stuff you purchase. :blink:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Don't be so old fashioned. :rolleyes:;)

Could have been let out as flats to Foreign students at the "University of Knightsbridge", that bogus institution based in Denmark or wherever, that sells PhDs, based on "life experience" and a swift bank transfer of funds. :unsure:

HOLA4415
Guest TheBlueCat

Agree - I'd much prefer to live in it as it is rather than the blinged-up S**** artist's impression of what it will most likely look like after some tax-fiddling f*****r has had there way with it.

Why do rich people have no taste?

It's strange isn't it? The blinged up version is totally vile. My suspicion is that it's self selecting in that only the type of people with basically no taste would want to spend that kind of money on a house they'd likely never live in anyway. The richest person I know (~500M net worth according to the last Times rich list) has decent taste and lives in a very nice, but not OTT, renovated farm house near Cambridge.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

There's only a little bit more detail in the Telegraph...

Suggesting it could be savvy investment, worth £100m when done up, and could double in value in a decade, with projections of the wonderful forever HPI.

After World War Two - like many Mayfair properties - was converted to commercial use. But the area is undergoing its biggest overhaul in 100 years, with these grand properties being converted back into homes for the super-rich.

HOLA4418