House Price Crash Forum

China Building Second Aircraft Carrier: Reports

HOLA441

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/china-building-second-aircraft-carrier-reports-042344677--finance.html

China is building its second aircraft carrier, which is expected to take six years, and the country aims to have at least four such ships, Chinese and Hong Kong media reports said on Sunday.

After two decades of double-digit increases in the military budget, China's admirals plan to develop a full blue-water navy capable of defending growing economic interests as well as disputed territory in the South and East China Seas.

The country's first aircraft carrier, the Liaoning - a Soviet-era ship bought from Ukraine in 1998 and re-fitted in a Chinese shipyard - has long been a symbol of China's naval build-up.

Successfully operating the 60,000-tonne Liaoning is the first step in what state media and some military experts believe will be the deployment of locally built carriers by 2020.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-19/china-building-second-aircraft-carrier-two-more-pipeline

00004dd8_medium-2_0.jpeg

So after China rebukes Japan over it's carrier program the Chinese it seems are pushing an arms race in the region.

India to respond as well?

Not sure why they aren't copying US carriers rather than using the ski ramp.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Do you think we could defeat them?

I mean they make all the commodities, have all the manufacturing plants, all the manufacturing skills, and a good hard work ethic. Yes they make poor products, but only because we want them cheap.

And we have.

erm.

Wait a minute...

It will come to me .

Nope it's gone! :lol:

HOLA444

Made in China. I hope they take out an extended warranty on it as it will break after a week.

:lol:

And this is a very good point, because Chinese workmanship is so utterly shoddy it's a joke. Would any of their missiles hit their target? Would their fleet stay afloat? I doubt it. It's one thing having a massive manufacturing base, but if it manufactures nothing but shit then what's the point??

HOLA445

:lol:

And this is a very good point, because Chinese workmanship is so utterly shoddy it's a joke. Would any of their missiles hit their target? Would their fleet stay afloat? I doubt it. It's one thing having a massive manufacturing base, but if it manufactures nothing but shit then what's the point??

Achieving a soft moon landing is a pretty good start

HOLA446
HOLA447

Do you think we could defeat them?

I mean they make all the commodities, have all the manufacturing plants, all the manufacturing skills, and a good hard work ethic. Yes they make poor products, but only because we want them cheap.

And we have.

erm.

Wait a minute...

It will come to me .

Nope it's gone! :lol:

My suspicion is that they're not particularly interested in a fight but are mindful of what happened last time the West built up an awkward trade deficit with China.

HOLA448

Yeah, only 40 odd years behind eh?

It's the same development that the US and Russia used that contributed to their military industrial strength

What's your point? That the Chinese landing is a sign their military technology is unreliable?

HOLA449

Not sure why they aren't copying US carriers rather than using the ski ramp.

To power a catapult you need steam. Lots of it. That's only practical if you have either nuclear powered steam turbines for propulsion or old fashioned coal/oil boilers with steam turbines. No way of getting enough steam on tap with jet engines or diesel power.

HOLA4410

Made in China. I hope they take out an extended warranty on it as it will break after a week.

They only make crap when they're asked to make crap. Ask them to make something really good and that's what they'll do. Well, they'll just copy something really good that someone else made.

You know that didn't really happen, don't you?

I predict this thread will now explode. Just like the studios they filmed the moon landings in exploded when they destroyed the evidence.

HOLA4411

To power a catapult you need steam. Lots of it. That's only practical if you have either nuclear powered steam turbines for propulsion or old fashioned coal/oil boilers with steam turbines. No way of getting enough steam on tap with jet engines or diesel power.

State of the art electromagnetic rail catapult

03-china-electromagnetic-catapault.jpg

thats not a stol being launched of the end either , but a Chinese built su27 clone from the looks of it

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

It's the same development that the US and Russia used that contributed to their military industrial strength

What's your point? That the Chinese landing is a sign their military technology is unreliable?

My point is don't overestimate China's war capability just because they finally reached the moon.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

State of the art electromagnetic rail catapult

03-china-electromagnetic-catapault.jpg

thats not a stol being launched of the end either , but a Chinese built su27 clone from the looks of it

Didn't realise they were going for that. Too complicated and risky for us... A world first unless you know better?

HOLA4416

My suspicion is that they're not particularly interested in a fight but are mindful of what happened last time the West built up an awkward trade deficit with China.

They are just breeding and sending in their coolies to undercut the locals abroad from the bottom up and take the economy from them ..... Total Chinese takeaway , Massive inroads into Africa , and now they are looking to S America , with an alternative to the Panama canal in Nicaragua just for starters .

Saw an Amazing interview somewhere in Africa? where the Chinese had built a railway to the sea to export the country's raw minerals out (no processing in that country no, added value ) ,The labourers were followed by a whole lot of support services including .....chicken farmers !!! , because the chinese wont eat local produce , the farmers were then undercutting the local market with their surplus , and were at the market at the crack of dawn , by the time the locals turned up (distance, cultural alarm clocks )) , the Chinese were packing up having sold out to the best customers . They were also using the empty mining carts coming back from the coast to import chinese produce , 3 guesses where that surplus went too .....

Not a shot fired

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Didn't realise they were going for that. Too complicated and risky for us... A world first unless you know better?

Wiki sez ...the US are testing them too http://en.wikipedia....t_Launch_System

whose got the longest ...I guess ?

What did you all think they were doing over there? Counting their money? :lol:

Its a world (economic)war ....and the Americans are still ...charging the light brigade

HOLA4419

Thing with Aircraft Carriers is you always need two in a Blue Sea Navy, or you will always be restricted to operations in sight of a friendly airfield on hard ground. The UK has Falklands, Cyprus, NATO and other coalition partners. Think of Chile during the Falklands conflict, where one of the Vulcans landed after a weapons malfunction.

What we need to look at is China's overseas interests. There is a nice diagram of Africa, with Oil and mineral interests all over it, specially in the East; think Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania and Mozambique, these all need protection, especially when the hardware the chinese are installing comes on line. (plant, railways and new upgraded ports). To defend them you need Carriers and airpower, plus a resupply of weapons and spare parts. You need a naval port too, or it's a long way back to China for serious repairs. I would expect the Chinese are looking for somewhere like Gwader in West Pakistan, (The USSR wanted this one two). Look who has interests there now:-

Gwader Port

All this is to protect business interests, same as the British in the 18-20th century and the US after this. I see no conflict with the west. (apart from proxy in the South China Sea)

b7e2e785f540f13e5d7de747bd6d05a0.jpg

HOLA4420

A lot of underestimation of the Chinese in this thread.

The history of the inferior Russian tanks and what happened between them and the superior German tanks in WW2 should perhaps be considered.

Same for the American bombers, at first they were massacred by the German fighters, but because the factories were untouchable they just made more and better as they went along, eventually overwhelming the opposition with both quantity and quality.

I hope the Chinese screw themselves up internally before anyone has to fight them, because I don't fancy the idea.

HOLA4421

A lot of underestimation of the Chinese in this thread.

The history of the inferior Russian tanks and what happened between them and the superior German tanks in WW2 should perhaps be considered.

Same for the American bombers, at first they were massacred by the German fighters, but because the factories were untouchable they just made more and better as they went along, eventually overwhelming the opposition with both quantity and quality.

I hope the Chinese screw themselves up internally before anyone has to fight them, because I don't fancy the idea.

They already are - rapidly ageing population, heavily polluted country, rent seeking elite

In a few decades they may catch up. As it stands they have one carrier which is half the size of the Americans, which they are having problems landing planes on. They'll have 2 by 2020 which means they will have the same number as the RN.

They then have to learn to use the equipment and be able to sail and fight in an effective coordinated manner. People may moan about the Yanks but they are getting plenty of practice.

China maybe a superpower at the end of the century but a lot of talk is overblown. They don't have the ability to take the fight to the Yanks that the Japanese had 70 years ago. A long way to go IMHO.

HOLA4422

In a few decades they may catch up. As it stands they have one carrier which is half the size of the Americans, which they are having problems landing planes on. They'll have 2 by 2020 which means they will have the same number as the RN.

Well....

As it stands the RN will have 2 carriers with one immediately mothballed unless we can flog it to India, and secondly we won't have any problems landing planes on it as currently it looks like we won't have any planes to land on it.

HOLA4423

The STOBAR configuration is similar to the Indian navy INS Vikramaditya. It operates navalised mig 29s and doesn't even have a catapult. Surprised the Chinese are having so many problems given that both they and india bought second hand off Russia and refitted/refurbished.

From wikipedia

Liaoning (16) (Chinese: 中国人民解放军海军辽宁舰; pinyin: Zhōngguó Rénmín Jiěfàngjūn Hǎijūn Liáoníng Jiàn), is the first aircraft carrier commissioned into the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN).[4] Originally laid down as the Admiral Kuznetsov class multirole aircraft carrier Riga for the Soviet Navy, she was launched on December 4, 1988 and renamed Varyag in 1990.

HOLA4424

Well....

As it stands the RN will have 2 carriers with one immediately mothballed unless we can flog it to India, and secondly we won't have any problems landing planes on it as currently it looks like we won't have any planes to land on it.

We could always sell it to China. Everyone's a winner!

HOLA4425

Archived