House Price Crash Forum

Is Prime London Crashing? - Merged Threads

Damik

HOLA441

Yet again people mistaking that HPI and HPC are primarily to do with int rates. :rolleyes:

It's lending mateys. rates fell to rock bottom in 2009 yet HPs were flat in most of country H2 2010 to end 2012.

What changed? HTB!

HOLA442

Yet again people mistaking that HPI and HPC are primarily to do with int rates. :rolleyes:

It's lending mateys. rates fell to rock bottom in 2009 yet HPs were flat in most of country H2 2010 to end 2012.

What changed? HTB!

Note sure you are right on that at all. HTB didn't cause the boom IMO. Have a look at the economist site on global house prices:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/11/global-house-prices

HPI took off across the world around Q1 2013, even in countries without HTB! IMO it was the resolution (temporary) of the Eurozone debt crises and QE3 that light a fire under global asset classes.

It's all about yields in my opinion. Mortgage rates drive affordability.

HOLA443

BTL pay higher mortgage rates, therefore they should logically be the first movers in any crash as they are most sensitive to any rate movements.

I can't understand your table as it hasn't come out well, but I don't think from your final figures that you've taken into account the interest only component of BTL. Interest only loans are common in this sector, as are 75% LTVs (25% deposit being the general requirement), so a very small change in rates would cause a very large change in their monthly payments (for instance moving a 2.5% IO loan up by only 0.5% causes a 20% increase in monthly payments).

Killer Bunny is right, interest rates don't have to move for prices to move. We are already reaching an affordability ceiling at these rates so if they simply do nothing at all effective demand will continue to dry up. Each time a buyer and a seller transact they reset the value of all other equivalent properties, very few transactions therefore actually need to go through for a market to crash so only a tiny number of property owners need to be in a position where they seriously want or need to sell into this market for us to get price movement.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I can't understand your table as it hasn't come out well, but I don't think from your final figures that you've taken into account the interest only component of BTL. Interest only loans are common in this sector, as are 75% LTVs (25% deposit being the general requirement), so a very small change in rates would cause a very large change in their monthly payments (for instance moving a 2.5% IO loan up by only 0.5% causes a 20% increase in monthly payments).

Killer Bunny is right, interest rates don't have to move for prices to move. We are already reaching an affordability ceiling at these rates so if they simply do nothing at all effective demand will continue to dry up. Each time a buyer and a seller transact they reset the value of all other equivalent properties, very few transactions therefore actually need to go through for a market to crash so only a tiny number of property owners need to be in a position where they seriously want or need to sell into this market for us to get price movement.

But as the headlines keep saying we have reached the peak, and drops are coming, more and more people will be inclined to try and sell?

HOLA446

It looks like the sentiment is changing as well:

Has the London house price bubble burst?
Telegraph.co.uk-3 hours ago
House prices in London have fallen for the first time in nearly four years, and will continue to do so, according to a leading property market ...
London House Prices Fall for First Time Since 2011
International Business Times UK-4 hours ago

HOLA447

HPI is yield, without HPI yields drop away. Mortgage rates and prices drive affordability. Price movement alone can make property unaffordable and kill effective demand.

Sorry meant to write all about rates and yields. It's the spread between them that is important.

I take your point about affordability being driven by debt and interest rates but...check out the affordability data per Nationwide:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/house-price-index/download-data#xtab:affordability-benchmarks

Earning ratios are through the roof for London but mortgage affordability well below past peaks. When rates rise people will suffer but mortgages are afforabie at the moment because of low rates.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Sorry meant to write all about rates and yields. It's the spread between them that is important.

I take your point about affordability being driven by debt and interest rates but...check out the affordability data per Nationwide:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/about/house-price-index/download-data#xtab:affordability-benchmarks

Earning ratios are through the roof for London but mortgage affordability well below past peaks. When rates rise people will suffer but mortgages are afforabie at the moment because of low rates.

Affordable housing is normally defined as under 30% of take home pay so that data suggests that London FTB mortgages are grossly unaffordable at 62% of take home pay. In fact the index section - where "higher index values indicate worsening affordability" - has London at a ridiculous 98.1, the highest its been seen Q2 2008. It has gone even higher than this in the past but MMR may well have lowered the inflexion point.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

House prices in London have fallen for the first time in nearly four years, and will continue to do so, according to a leading property market ...

The bubble burst 6 months ago.

These people are just drip feeding the bad news to the sheeple now.

Sentiment is about to go down the drain.

HOLA4413

Bit of an anecdote for you today, which is linked to london.

Mate of mine locally has been trying to sell his house for 3 years + now.

Tried for 2 years at £145K nothing doing. The house is an absolute dump, bad area, falling apart, pretty manky inside.

He recently found a buyer locally, willing to pay full asking....fell through after they went to the banks :lol:

Anyway, he house has now gone SSTC and the buyer is from guess where ? Yip, London. Cash buyer, sold their crap hole in London and are now buying a crap hole in Northampton. They've already sold by all accounts so he's certain to sell ( he tells me ).

Asking price....£180K.

A londoner and their tax free unearned money are soon parted it seems.

Peak 2007 price for his street. £160k ( i know cause he paid it ).

Not found out what he's been offered yet but it's £90K too much whatever it is.

The London bubble has to burst so people outside London can get a stab at buying a house at a level relative to the local income.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

It's all about yields in my opinion. Mortgage rates drive affordability.

Yet Globally bond yields at lowest in history!

So we had HPI in 2011 and 12? Yeah right

And they had HPI in Spain and Ireland and US since 2007? Yeah right

And they have HPI in UK Canada Oz China due to easy lending - NOT low rates.

Edited by Killer Bunny

HOLA4416

Its a bit of change from last April where the general message was 'Houses prices were going to rise indefinitely'

I thnk that's when I started the propaganda thread.

The media onslaught at that time was incredible, I think people really started to believe there was a recovery.

If it was Osborne's intention to use this feel good factor to win the election I can only hope the whole thing is in tatters by March next year,

HOLA4417

Have you seen more think-pieces/op-eds though? Most stories over the past couple of weeks are a re-hash of press releases, rather than journos coming out and saying Don't Buy now/bubble about to burst. Moneyweek is the one exception I can think of

HOLA4418

Isn't that still the one we're in now?

No. House prices went up about 30% in total in London over the two years 1996 and 1997 then HPI then fell back and there was no ripple. This bubble started a couple of years later and rippled to the North in about 2001. That's how I think about it anyway!

Edited by oldsport

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Yet Globally bond yields at lowest in history!

So we had HPI in 2011 and 12? Yeah right

And they had HPI in Spain and Ireland and US since 2007? Yeah right

And they have HPI in UK Canada Oz China due to easy lending - NOT low rates.

I'm confused by your post - yeah bond yields are lowest in history - that's my point. Bond yields set the risk free rate for the economy. If bond rates are low, low rental yields will be tollerated by investors because other opportunities for higher yields are scarce and their funding costs low. i.e. Bond yield directly influence mortgage costs.

So yeah, bond yields collapsed in 2013 during QE3 - from memory the 10 year Treasury touched 1.5% in 2013 - and it was that that stuck a firework under every asset class under the sun. Look at the the S&P500, Corporate bonds, FTSE etc. etc. HTB did have an impact but a very minor one - this is a global macro thing. The global risk free rate of interest fell therefore asset prices went up. It's that simple.

I can't remember what this exchange is about but all am saying is I can't see a massive +10% correction without a rise in interest rates / bond yields. If for example prices fell 30% then rental yields would jump in London to c. 7%, money would flow back in to take advantage of the spread between mortgage rates and rental yields. Maybe next year when rates start to rise. I am massively bearish on London property, it's going to crash (+30%)...but when!?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Pretty sure I saw stories in April 2014 about a never ending raise to house prices.

I did too! But if I were to say "last April" at this particular time of year I'd be meaning April 2013. That's why I was unsure - I thought you probably meant April 2014 but I just wanted to check!

Edited by oldsport

HOLA4424

56 Kilmaine Road, Fulham, SW6

[bought for £1,300,000 Sep 2013]

09/10/2014: Price changed: from £1,495,000 to £1,450,000
19/07/2014: Price changed: from £1,575,000 to £1,495,000
17/06/2014: Initial entry found

6 Tabor Grove, Wimbledon, SW19

08/10/2014 Price changed: from £1,100,000 to £950,000
15/08/2014 Status changed: from 'Under offer' to 'null'
13/07/2014 Status changed: from 'null' to 'Under offer'
06/06/2014 Price changed: from '£1,295,000' to '£1,100,000'