House Price Crash Forum

Tesco Uk Sales: Further Fall Blamed On Economy----------Merged Thread

HOLA441

it's not rocket science

improve your quality

drop your price.

Stop shrinkage in weight, volume, by dilution.......personal care and cleaning products are the easiest way of cutting down on shopping bill....so many ways money can be saved by stopping buying, changing what you buy, buying at a different place or using complete alternatives......toothpaste for example; instead of paying £1 to £2 odd for 100ml tube...excellent alternative same amount 60p superdrug......a good toothbrush can be picked up for less than 50p....all adds up.every little helps. ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Stop shrinkage in weight, volume, by dilution.......personal care and cleaning products are the easiest way of cutting down on shopping bill....so many ways money can be saved by stopping buying, changing what you buy, buying at a different place or using complete alternatives......toothpaste for example; instead of paying £1 to £2 odd for 100ml tube...excellent alternative same amount 60p superdrug......a good toothbrush can be picked up for less than 50p....all adds up.every little helps. ;)

Well it's gone from Gillette blue 2 and gel at £4.00 a pop in the 1980s to a no frills disposable pack of 5 for 10p and soap in 2014........talk about cataclysmic deflation and I get a better shave these days....no spots.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA443

Well it's gone from Gillette blue 2 and gel at £4.00 a pop in the 1980s to a no frills disposable pack of 5 for 10p and soap in 2014........talk about cataclysmic deflation and I get a better shave these days....no spots.

Yes, I now simply use a stubble trimmer once a week that cost a tenner a couple of years ago. Before it was fancy blades and King of Shaves gel.

HOLA444

Funny you should mention this, the cost of razors is one of my biggest bugbears. There is no way these things can cost anywhere near the prices they charge.

I now only shave once a week and the best "own brand" razor i've found is the sainsbury's one.

This one maybe:

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/mens_toiletries/sainsburys_advance_6_blade_razor_with_trimmer.html

The one I bought came with 4 blades. The first blade has lasted be 4 months. The shave is very good and half the price of the branded ones, will cost me about £4.00 for 18 months shaving.

A bargain and a Definite recommend.

I tried the tesco equivalent before that but it wasn't great for me and the head kept falling off while I was shaving.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Funny you should mention this, the cost of razors is one of my biggest bugbears. There is no way these things can cost anywhere near the prices they charge.

I now only shave once a week and the best "own brand" razor i've found is the sainsbury's one.

This one maybe:

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/mens_toiletries/sainsburys_advance_6_blade_razor_with_trimmer.html

The one I bought came with 4 blades. The first blade has lasted be 4 months. The shave is very good and half the price of the branded ones, will cost me about £4.00 for 18 months shaving.

A bargain and a Definite recommend.

I tried the tesco equivalent before that but it wasn't great for me and the head kept falling off while I was shaving.

I've had good results with both LIDL and ALDI own brand razors. The LIDL one is called "Lacura" I think, standard twin/treble blade job, seems to work on my stubble. I also use Dove's soap instead of posh shaving foam.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Lobby the government to pay benefits in Tesco only vouchers.

Brilliant crony capitalist solution- and only too plausible :lol: I'm quite surprised they haven't done this already. Perhaps Tesco need to contribute more to political campaigns- or hire more lobbyists.

HOLA449

One can't help wondering if a Unilever brand manager being installed at Tesco says something about the pressure the major brands are under and their dissatisfaction with Tesco.

Surely can't help having one of their own men inside one of (the?) biggest customer.

HOLA4410

One can't help wondering if a Unilever brand manager being installed at Tesco says something about the pressure the major brands are under and their dissatisfaction with Tesco.

Surely can't help having one of their own men inside one of (the?) biggest customer.

I think it's fair to say they don't have much of a brand at the moment. A wide and diverse but muddled and poor offering.

I can sort of see why they would make this move.

HOLA4411

I shop at Lidl and not just because it's cheaper. It's a calmer environment in there. It's the food tastes good and you're not bombarded with choice. I went in a Tesco Extra and they had over 20 different Philadelphia cheese types and variates, then on top of that they had their own brand copy version. Why anyone needs so much choice is beyond me. It also confuses me having to chose the size type variety of just one type of cheese. And that's just one cheese move on to the next item! Tesco try to fool you, they don't know what they are doing! You go in the shop and they've made it look like a pound shop with a limited number of items. But buy something else not in that pound range and you get ripped off.

There is no way in a million years now that I will make Tesco my regular shopping place.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Wrong, as many rich shop in L&A as in wait rose....in fact the two complement each other very well.....quality, value and all the choice you need from both....

It is the known product brands that IMO give the least value of all....why pay twice the price for a name when a little known name is as good if not better?

HOLA4414

60 new stores and refurbishments. Aldi to invest £600m in major expansion drive in UK, heaping further pressure on Tesco and other Big Four grocers

HOLA4415

60 new stores and refurbishments. Aldi to invest £600m in major expansion drive in UK, heaping further pressure on Tesco and other Big Four grocers

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2700337/Discount-retailer-Aldi-invest-600m-major-expansion-drive-UK.html#ixzz38AwWyvZ6

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

We'll I'm calling the aldi backlash. Size and quality reductions.

They are not immune, YMMV.

HOLA4416

Out of interest....how come you can buy 4 litres of persil washing liquid for ~5 Euros over the border but pay approximately the same for 1.350 litres here no doubt used to be 1.5 litres not that long ago but got smaller along the way.

HOLA4417

I honestly don't think the average person who works full time can do their weekly shopping cheaper and easier at Aldi and Lidl. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it involves a lot of price comparison, and only buying what they happen to have on offer and in stock. If you want to turn up at one store and get everything you need for a low price, then the big 4 are the way forward. I regularly do a price comparison of my entire shopping basket between tesco and asda and there is little or no difference.

There is no way my wife is going to travel to Lidl and Aldi (4 and 10 miles away) with two kids in tow to hope their offers match what we need for the week, and that the shelves aren't empty.

The idea that Tesco is somehow more expensive than the rest is laughable.

HOLA4418

Nothing wrong with sticking to what you know is convienient and are used to...it has been known that people shop at certain stores knowing they will be served by a familiar cheerful face even if it means waiting in a longer queue.

Edited by winkie

HOLA4419

I honestly don't think the average person who works full time can do their weekly shopping cheaper and easier at Aldi and Lidl. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it involves a lot of price comparison, and only buying what they happen to have on offer and in stock. If you want to turn up at one store and get everything you need for a low price, then the big 4 are the way forward. I regularly do a price comparison of my entire shopping basket between tesco and asda and there is little or no difference.

There is no way my wife is going to travel to Lidl and Aldi (4 and 10 miles away) with two kids in tow to hope their offers match what we need for the week, and that the shelves aren't empty.

The idea that Tesco is somehow more expensive than the rest is laughable.

The discounters have changed quite a bit over the years, never used to rate Aldi, seemed a bit slummy (might have been particular location). Think or are worng on price comparison, that is the whole point, you know you are getting pretty good pricing across the board on brand similar products in terms of quality, that is what saves the time - and not having to hike round a football sized shoping mall being sold everything the supermarket wants to sell you first. Empty shelves, can't say noticed them unless one of their central isle offer type things.

HOLA4420

Brilliant crony capitalist solution- and only too plausible :lol: I'm quite surprised they haven't done this already. Perhaps Tesco need to contribute more to political campaigns- or hire more lobbyists.

actually not a bad idea at all.

think about it.

UK Listed business, so such a deal should increase the number of share trades into the company,

also incurring additional fees and capital gains tax upon transactions.

HOLA4421

I went to buy a copy of Norton Internet Security in a massive Tesco yesterday - a Tesco that they have modernised over recent months and tried to to turn into some kind of Waitrose. They finished upgrading it a few days ago.

I bought a copy of NIS there a few days ago for some friends and wanted another copy. There were none on the shelves so I went to the electrical counter and asked for a copy. Some manager was there trying to deal with a tablet that a woman was returning because it would not charge.

Anyhow one of his staff went and got me a copy of Norton 360 - not NIS. When I pointed this out I ended up in a conversation with this manager type who was adamant that the Norton 360 was the product I wanted. I felt he was rude and a bit aggressive.

I walked away.

My point is that no matter how much you spend tarting up the stores if you have staff like that you are going to lose customers. The fact that they had not restocked the product that I had bought last Wednesday was also poor - isn't their stock ordering supposed to be tied into their tills.

HOLA4422

Why would you go to a physical store to buy (crap) software which you can pay for online and download at home?

Also I would strongly suggest free alternatives such as Avira Antivirus or Avast or even AVG if you don't like / want the also free and decent Microsoft Security Essentials along side the occasional scan with the free versions of SpyBot Search & Destroy / Malware Bytes. I would be pleased you walked away as you have save yourself some cash :D

Edited by GeordieAndy

HOLA4423

Why would you go to a physical store to buy (crap) software which you can pay for online and download at home?

Also I would strongly suggest free alternatives such as Avira Antivirus or Avast or even AVG if you don't like / want the also free and decent Microsoft Security Essentials along side the occasional scan with the free versions of SpyBot Search & Destroy / Malware Bytes. I would be pleased you walked away as you have save yourself some cash :D

Warning Geek alert! Geek alert!

Price. If I order it online by the time I pay next day postage it costs more than going into a local Tesco or WHSmith. Or I can get free postage and then have to spend the next 7 days wondering what day it will be delievered which is a waste of my time and money.

HOLA4424

Yes this is a bit geeky but can I also ask why is there anything being posted - it's software which you can download as a complete package via your / friends / library broadband connection within an hour at most I suspect :blink: If you / your friend don't have a fast internet connection on most of the time then anit-virus software / firewalls are pretty wasted on you anyway as your computer will be pretty useless to trojans / spyware / ransomware!

Anyway this can be brought back onto topic somewhat as Anti Virus software is just like other 'branded' products that used to be cash cows for the mega corps which have had their heyday as more and more people are educated that their are cheaper, viable alternatives in the same way quality food items can be found at their local Aldi / Lidl. Also the fact that Tesco are selling (badly) such software and dealing with people's tablet computer problems whilst also trying to proclaim they are the cheapest / best place to do your weekly shop tells you all you need to know about how unfocussed Tesco have become on their bread and butter grocery core business.

Edited by GeordieAndy

HOLA4425

A few years ago I would have been happy to get into a geek dick swinging competiton with you. However, thankfully, I have now moved past that. You clearly did not understand my post and will probably never understand it. This is a thread about Tesco and I used an example of a product I was buying. That is all.

Enjoy being a geek thinking you are right about everything and ranting your self opionated cr*p on the internet. It is a sad pathetic existence. Don't worry - there are millions like you.

D*ck!