House Price Crash Forum

Daily Mail Article: Young, Single... And Priced Out Of Buying A Home In Almost All Of The Country

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2473070/Young-single-priced-buying-home-country-Getting-property-ladder-distant-dream.html

Single people are priced out of getting a first rung on the property ladder in almost all of the country, an alarming new study reveals.

In 80 per cent of England fewer than one in 10 homes is within reach of people in their twenties trying to buy alone.

Housing charity Shelter warned that the idea of owning a property ‘is quickly becoming a distant dream for the next generation’.

A new analysis of the huge gap between average wages and soaring house prices reveals single people are the ‘most badly affected’, Shelter said.

In more 82 per cent of council areas, fewer than one in ten available properties is classed as affordable, based on raising a 20 per cent deposit and borrowing 3.3 times average incomes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well worth reading the article, despite it being the Daily Mail *spits on floor*.. Encouraging to see a cold dose of reality in a main stream newspaper article.

The highest rated comments are very sensible.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Interesting comments, hpc views outnumber the VIs these days and the boomers pretending they had it hard too just sound ridiculous and are shot down straight away.

Maybe help to buy is assisting with this gradual awakening of the great unwashed, its always fashionable to be anti whatever the tories are doing..

10 years too late mind but at least some are slowly realising that when something costs more it is more expensive. I didn't think it was that complicated but I underestimate the capacity for stupidity I think

HOLA444

Interesting comments, hpc views outnumber the VIs these days and the boomers pretending they had it hard too just sound ridiculous and are shot down straight away.

Maybe help to buy is assisting with this gradual awakening of the great unwashed, its always fashionable to be anti whatever the tories are doing..

10 years too late mind but at least some are slowly realising that when something costs more it is more expensive. I didn't think it was that complicated but I underestimate the capacity for stupidity I think

Oh nice are there some heroic boomer posts on there? I do like a laugh.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Single and childless, you may as well settle into your matrix human battery pod now.

Not only the single and childless, the couples with irregular employment style contract zero hour type work or start up self employed....to buy a house whoever you are requires regular work with a proven regular income. So that quickly knocks a few more potential priced out buyers, including those married with kids. ;)

HOLA448

http://www.espc.com/...aspx?pid=329252 At least you could smoke a joint without Mother smelling it? And this is in Edinburgh, one of the biggest f*uck off bubbles outside London where property mentalism took on new levels of idiocy. It`s happening, slowly, but it is happening.

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA449

And the problem with this is what? The young don't seem to care and the 'home owners' certainly do not care, property price increase are seen as being good. Nothing will be done as the young don't even vote whereas the old always vote.

Maybe when the young are 45 and still in their childhood bedroom they may wake up, but by then it will be too late and they will just change tack and start waiting to inherit their parents' house.

By the looks of the comments on the daily heil and torygraph the young are waking up, comment boards on HPI pieces were infested with smug boomers for the first time ever im seeing the smug boomer comments in the minority.

And c4 news is constantly reporting on the housing crisis, instead of swallowing the tory line that everything is fine, there is is no bubble and real problem is access to 95%+ mortgages.

HOLA4410
By the looks of the comments on the daily heil and torygraph the young are waking up,

They are the most networked generation in history- something that Osborne may not have considered while he was plotting for them to be the bag holders for his 'help to buy' re election gimmick.

This could turn nasty for the Tories if the idea goes viral that Help to Buy is not about helping the young but shafting them with unsupportable debt for short term political gain.

HOLA4411

They are the most networked generation in history- something that Osborne may not have considered while he was plotting for them to be the bag holders for his 'help to buy' re election gimmick.

This could turn nasty for the Tories if the idea goes viral that Help to Buy is not about helping the young but shafting them with unsupportable debt for short term political gain.

So why are they doing this?....it does not make sense, clearly a certain section of society has more pulling power.....surely the young working people of this country must count for something......debt from cradle to grave is not the answer, or is it? ;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Oddly enough, I was in a supermarket today and got talking to a lady. She was saying how difficult it is today to be single with the price of food, fuel and housing. She just offered up her thoughts in conversation - seems to be something which is on the minds of so many in the country now.

Look you go out and talk to anyone....they are living for the moment and so they should.....but there is a most definite underlining fear of what the future holds for them and their families, young and old, many have lost all confidence and trust in our leaders, I know that our politicians mostly want us to do well but who are they working for and in reality how tight are their hands really tied? :unsure:

HOLA4414

Let me re-phrase the headline for you all:

90% of the countries houses have very few potential buyers.

No FTBs = b.gger all market.

Seriously, can't these people join the dots?

A right move search on my home time is listing more and more empty properties.

You have the obvious probate sales - big, horrid sofas and a little old lady grease stain on the floor - and now family properties.

Sad little empty kids rooms with stencils on the wall and dangling electric wire.

Its like invasion of the body snatchers.

HOLA4415

The young need to wake up to the fact that ALL parties are the same. A 10% energy price rise and there you have Cameron and Milliband going at it hammer and tongs with John Major throwing in his two pence worth. A MONTHLY rise (OK asking prices) of £7,000 in property prices, which is probably more than most young people can save in a year, is not even mentioned.

Neither of the big parties care one jot about the cannon-fodder-young-slaves and the Libs could not even stick to their promise regarding tuition fees. But the triple guarantee is still firmly in place for the property-BTL-owning -final-salary-pension landlords.

The young need to do like the Romanians and Bulgarians; emigrate or just accept the situation.

Yeah, which makes the "rise" meaningless? My rent has gone nowhere in 15 or 16 years, and I won`t be taking on some idiots debt obligations to buy a house any time soon, so if the young are thinking like this, and remember many of them pay NO rent because they live with parents, the Ponzi Lovers are completely screwed? The young don`t have to do anything, they can just sit there and laugh.

HOLA4416
The young need to wake up to the fact that ALL parties are the same. A 10% energy price rise and there you have Cameron and Milliband going at it hammer and tongs with John Major throwing in his two pence worth. A MONTHLY rise (OK asking prices) of £7,000 in property prices, which is probably more than most young people can save in a year, is not even mentioned.

Well, by the sound of it, I'm rather younger than you, and I've been on this site longer, because I saw it coming. So don't write off all of us.

People are aware... if you read the telegraph you'll have noticed this (first-time-buyers-giving-up-hope) . People are doing a cost benefit analysis of saving vs spending, and spending their money. Why not? Politicians are lying, thieving scum, the press are vermin, the police are all bent, business is run for the 1% and senior managers and everyone else can take a real terms pay cut or piss off down the jobcentre... the whole sorry mess is going to come crashing down and you're better off enjoying yourself while you can. Can't say I see much wrong with that point of view.

HOLA4417

Oddly enough, I was in a supermarket today and got talking to a lady. She was saying how difficult it is today to be single with the price of food, fuel and housing. She just offered up her thoughts in conversation - seems to be something which is on the minds of so many in the country now.

Did you have the company BMW keys in your hand when she said this?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

That is fine but if you want a family life with kids and your own home (as per your parents) then you have no chance of that in UK.

Sure it may very well all collapse and today's 35 year old will say 'look at the mess you lot created and you can't sell you house' ... when they are 50 and the best part of their life has passed them by while the oldies have had a 15 year paid-for holiday.

Well fair enough, for the last ten years maybe, some have had to bring up kids in rented....boo hoo for them, but it is over now, this Ponzi isn`t going to rumble on for another 15 years, 15 months tops IMO.

HOLA4421

Yes. They are there to work, pay tax and rent so the oldies can enjoy their retirement. The young accept the situation so the oldies take everything they can, free this, free that, as they deserve it.

Of course they deserve it, they almost fought in two world wars, you know.

Edited by Britney's Piers

HOLA4422

Yes. They are there to work, pay tax and rent so the oldies can enjoy their retirement. The young accept the situation so the oldies take everything they can, free this, free that, as they deserve it.

The oldies didn't ask for their homes to be used as speculative investments......a house is a place to live and should not be traded as gold or stocks or shares.....our leaders have created the climate we now find ourselves in....simply because we don't create enough enterprise of value so they decided to treat our housing stock as a security for a demand in business at home when the supply was being imported for less from abroad. ;)

HOLA4423

Well worth reading the article, despite it being the Daily Mail *spits on floor*.. Encouraging to see a cold dose of reality in a main stream newspaper article.

The highest rated comments are very sensible.

Very interesting comments. Increasingly from what I hear and read people are seeing that there is just not enough money. Hindsight is easy but perhaps it should have been more obvious to those of us who've been wrong since 2008 that it would such take a long time for the general population to catch on that low interest rates only hold up the inevitable. The money isn't there. Help to buy, "we're only a small island" etc - will become minor details if that realisation occurs.

HOLA4424

Nothing except a crisis in USA will cause anything to change here in the next few years. Election in two years and whoever wins will carry on with the same policies so they can probably stretch it out for another ten years ... we have had six years since the financial crisis and very little has changed and property in London has actually gone up in price.

http://www.espc.com/properties/details.aspx?pid=329252 FTB areas in Edinburgh are starting to collapse, it will eventually happen in London too.

HOLA4425

article-0-18EC933000000578-878_634x746.jpg

Single and childless, you may as well settle into your matrix human battery pod now.

All your breeding are belong to us:

As eel populations plummet worldwide, Japanese scientists are racing to solve a major challenge for aquaculture — how to replicate the life cycle of eels in captivity and commercially produce a fish that is a prized delicacy on Asian dinner tables.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/in_japan_captive_breeding_may_help_save_the_wild_eel/2700/