HOLA441
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Perhaps Uncle Ron can help you!

Fantastic!

Uncle Ron is exactly what I aspire to.

Having a giggle, dumping Das Auto and p1ssing all over the arabs all in one death defying move.

Although I was half expecting him to get creamed by a Greyhound bus at that junction. :D

HOLA443

Excellent feedback fellas. I knew there'd be some experts out there.

So far it looks like I'll either freeze to death or be mown down by some ar5ehole footballer in a Cayenne. Hmmmm........it's rapidly losing it's fun appeal.

Yes, I've had a look at some of the newer electric bikes, but they're the thick end of £1500 so I started wondering about scooters instead (similar cost but on the fqce of it better value). It would definately only be for good weather, so I'm realy in my 'research' phase at the moment.......

Keep it coming HPC mods.......

Anyone who spends more than £30 on a phone scooter is a victim

;)

HOLA444

I realise I'm running an almost guaranteed risk of being that f*cking middle aged kn*b on the Honda 50/100. I'll need to give this serious thought.........

(as opposed to simply that f*cking kn*b )

I have a bicycle but I never really ride it anywhere 'cause it's hard work turning the peddles. I'm thinking having an engine do that for you will be more pleasurable.

Wear a full face helmet and you could avoid the middle aged bit although I have a bicycle like that too.

I take it you want a new toy not a ROI?

HOLA445

I had a 50cc scooter - derestricted it so it would do about 48mph. Fine, but you really were holding traffic up on it. If you are a bit older, you can ride it with no L plates - which if you're not 16 and don't want to look like you are, will be a good thing.... Got rid of it to get a 125 bike. Much better for round town.... but manual and geared - so you need to learn to ride it - and you need to do your test or renew your CBT regularly (not sure what the new rules will bring in for that). Kept the 125 bike long enough to pass my test. Now have an 800cc bike. It is a proper bike - with the size of a big bike and the performance of a fast car - up to about 100mph (911 fast)

I commute on it.

If running costs matter, then

50cc moped - about 100mpg

125 bike - about 80mpg

800cc bike - 55mpg

If I were you, I'd do the CBT, accept L plates for a bit and get a 125 and see if you like riding enough to bother passing your full test. Honda now do an automatic 700cc bike - it seems to do between 70 and 90mpg dependent on how you ride it ..... and your helmet will fit where the fuel tank goes when you park up, so need to carry it with you. Still new though.... so not cheap

HOLA446
HOLA447

Wear a full face helmet and you could avoid the middle aged bit although I have a bicycle like that too.

I take it you want a new toy not a ROI?

My uncle is well into his 70s and still cycles, full lycra kit etc etc. Much as I admire him for it, that really isn't me.

Sort of half and half re toy. I don't really need a car much these days. It does maybe 1500-2000 miles a year so much of the time they're nothing more than expensive depreciating chunks of metal. I begrudge the insurance/road tax ALOT. I walk locally for 2-3 mile trips to local shops, library etc etc. Easily walk to the tram/train station so only use the car when I'm being lazy or it's p1ssing down. Quite happy walking through the winter. As you know we're 15 mins cab from the airport too so I'm wondering whether I really need a car at all, and whether the alternatives are practical and/or fun.

If it was for a daily commute car would be a no-brainer (for me anyway).

But, you know, had a car for over 30 years so it might be quite a change and I'm still hemming/hawing about alternatives.

Push bike carries many of the same risks as scooter I'd have thought and most people don't ride a push bike with a full face helmet, boots, armour plated jacket etc. Perhaps they ought to

HOLA448

I had a 50cc scooter - derestricted it so it would do about 48mph. Fine, but you really were holding traffic up on it. If you are a bit older, you can ride it with no L plates - which if you're not 16 and don't want to look like you are, will be a good thing.... Got rid of it to get a 125 bike. Much better for round town.... but manual and geared - so you need to learn to ride it - and you need to do your test or renew your CBT regularly (not sure what the new rules will bring in for that). Kept the 125 bike long enough to pass my test. Now have an 800cc bike. It is a proper bike - with the size of a big bike and the performance of a fast car - up to about 100mph (911 fast)

I commute on it.

If running costs matter, then

50cc moped - about 100mpg

125 bike - about 80mpg

800cc bike - 55mpg

If I were you, I'd do the CBT, accept L plates for a bit and get a 125 and see if you like riding enough to bother passing your full test. Honda now do an automatic 700cc bike - it seems to do between 70 and 90mpg dependent on how you ride it ..... and your helmet will fit where the fuel tank goes when you park up, so need to carry it with you. Still new though.... so not cheap

Cheers - I'm fairly certain I don't want a proper geared bike. Really can't be ar5ed with the gear changing mullarkey and I'm also fairly certain I'm not interested in the speed/acceleration thing. I don't mind skiing reasonably fast (and have never worn a helmet for that) and you never know what other skiers are going to do, but I think a proper bike at speed would scare the bejesus out of me. Take your point (and others) about a 50cc perhaps being a little underpowered though. The 110cc Honda is looking like an option a reasonable first stab at the mo, then see how it goes. I'd probably hire one or something and do the CBT first though in case I don't like it at all I think.

Edit: Apparently a car licence holder (my age) can ride 50cc moped without CBT or plates. Over 50cc need to do the CBT and wear plates. But I can't imagine not doing the CBT anyway.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

If you haven't yet grasped that you live in the wrong country for a scooter, then there's no helping you, get on and buy one.

A second-hand electric bike is a much better idea for the distances you're talking about. No tax, insurance etc etc.

Emigrating seems a little extreme though.

Yes, I started with the electric bike idea. It's still in the mix. I was thinking possible a bit more 'storage' on a scooter, perhaps with a box on the back (if they do that) but that may not be the case, I'm not sure. Else just use the Tesco/Ocado delivery service instead. Families need a car, but singletons much less so. Can hire one whenever.

HOLA4414

YOU. WANT. A. HONDA. C90.

TRUST. ME.

Honda looked at the Vespas etc and knew they were on the right track, but just not good enough (basically small wheels are sh*t). So they did it better with the Honda cub. This is what you need. You can thank me later.

Plus in the uk, there's almost no chance you'll lose money on a cub if you decide to sell it on.

HOLA4415

Emigrating seems a little extreme though.

Yes, I started with the electric bike idea. It's still in the mix. I was thinking possible a bit more 'storage' on a scooter, perhaps with a box on the back (if they do that) but that may not be the case, I'm not sure. Else just use the Tesco/Ocado delivery service instead. Families need a car, but singletons much less so. Can hire one whenever.

Yes, you can fit a back box to a vespa for storage, although I seldom needed more that the helmet storage space under the seat, in which you can fit a surprising amount. I'd skip 50cc, and go for a 125, although that means you will need to do the cbt day-course (100 quid or so), you will be on a machine that can accelerate out of trouble, and tops out at about 60\65 mph. One additional bonus is that cbt is not restricted to the vehicle you sit it on, so you can do the session on geared to benefit from instruction, and then ride on automatic after you pass (or vice verse if you like a challenge).

HOLA4416

The one thing you might find about getting on two wheels is that you find you actually like it.

Contrary to all the doom and gloom merchants on here the sun does shine (every so often) and you are not guaranteed to fall off.

The popularity of scooters in recent times has as good as removed a whole section of small to middle capacity motorcycles.

Not so long ago there were Honda C50's, 70's and 90's, the CD 175, Honda Dream 250 and 400's everywhere in the rush hour.

Their big drawback was the lack of weather protection and carrying capacity. However, they were cheap to run, reliable and had BIG wheels which were much safer than the current tiddly scooter wheels.

Get the training under your belt, some decent clothing (can't stand the ridiculous word Body Armour) and enjoy yourself.

Enjoy, a word that seems to be missing on this thread! :)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

where do you park these things?...are they as easily knicked as a bicycle?

most places have the odd bay for them. The problem with central London parking - if you have a nice bike, IS Scooter riders. They don't care if they scratch yours as they force their dropped umpteen times piece of carp into a space that isn't there.

And theft is a problem - most cheaper ones don' t have immobilisers, so can be hotwired. Better ones have proper immobilisers, so they left them into Transits and drive off, or the current fashion, is to 'tow' it away using another scooter. The solutions seem to be a PROPER chain, not the rubbish you get in Halfords, with it anchored to the ground, not just round a bit of fence post/chicken wire or ensure you have secure parking (I am lucky enough to have both space in the garage at home and an allocated secure underground 24 hour monitored and security guarded space in the office ( space is big enough for a car and a bike...) - most don't get that advantage - I don't worry it about it disappearing much.....

Mostly though, it's where you live and work..... - be near our lovable Irish tinkers or near Da Yoot innit, and it's at risk... especially if it has any offroad (former group) or sporting (latter blud) pretentions at all....

HOLA4419

YOU. WANT. A. HONDA. C90.

TRUST. ME.

Honda looked at the Vespas etc and knew they were on the right track, but just not good enough (basically small wheels are sh*t). So they did it better with the Honda cub. This is what you need. You can thank me later.

Plus in the uk, there's almost no chance you'll lose money on a cub if you decide to sell it on.

Thanks! This 'new' equivalent seems to be either this one 110cc

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/scooters/#!/wave110i/

or this one 110cc

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/scooters/#!/vision110/

I've pretty much decided the 50cc will be too underpowered and become frustrating once I've got the hang of it, and the 110cc engines are only a couple of hundred more so appears to be the better option.

HOLA4420

I've got rid of my car, and walk and use the bus. It's very, very safe and enjoyable - I get to read and stroll in the outdoors. But I'm lucky because I live in a happy, largely trouble-free part of the country with a very good bus service. Because I'm a bachelor and intend to stay that way, I can't ever see myself needing a car again, and it's a blessed relief.

(But it depends where you live though. When I lived in London, bus travel was so fraught with incident you might have been safer being dragged behind on a rope.)

Good to see that's working out for you.

I'm in a similar situation hence wondering whether to bother at all with a car. I can walk/tram/train most places easily. Buses unfortunately are few and far between but still technically possible. I suppose I'm thinking of having the freedom of some sort of personal transport but without the hassle or a car (and what has become a truly outrageous insurance/tax scam/rent extraction p1ss take)

HOLA4421

My uncle is well into his 70s and still cycles, full lycra kit etc etc. Much as I admire him for it, that really isn't me.

Sort of half and half re toy. I don't really need a car much these days. It does maybe 1500-2000 miles a year so much of the time they're nothing more than expensive depreciating chunks of metal. I begrudge the insurance/road tax ALOT. I walk locally for 2-3 mile trips to local shops, library etc etc. Easily walk to the tram/train station so only use the car when I'm being lazy or it's p1ssing down. Quite happy walking through the winter. As you know we're 15 mins cab from the airport too so I'm wondering whether I really need a car at all, and whether the alternatives are practical and/or fun.

If it was for a daily commute car would be a no-brainer (for me anyway).

But, you know, had a car for over 30 years so it might be quite a change and I'm still hemming/hawing about alternatives.

Push bike carries many of the same risks as scooter I'd have thought and most people don't ride a push bike with a full face helmet, boots, armour plated jacket etc. Perhaps they ought to

You'll like this: http://www.financialsamurai.com/2012/10/06/the-110th-rule-for-car-buying-everyone-must-follow/

RECOMMENDED CARS BY INCOME (TASTES MAY DIFFER)

$25,000-$50,000 Honda Civic, Altima, or Corolla from before 2005, Vespa scooter, Bus

To be honest I think I'd prefer taxis or a smart car over solely having a scooter as you're still "on-grid".

HOLA4422

'Kin 'ell. I've gone from full on enthusiast to vowing never to even look at anything more powerful than a tricycle ever again in my entire life. Which obviously won't be very long if I DO actually buy one.

So in summary then, people in the UK only buy a scooter to have their skin/arms/legs/head ripped off/damaged beyond repair and because they can't afford a car? Is that the best spin one can put on it?

Get one of these

invacarac.jpg

post-14991-0-41982700-1350385737_thumb.jpg

HOLA4423

Yes, you can fit a back box to a vespa for storage, although I seldom needed more that the helmet storage space under the seat, in which you can fit a surprising amount. I'd skip 50cc, and go for a 125, although that means you will need to do the cbt day-course (100 quid or so), you will be on a machine that can accelerate out of trouble, and tops out at about 60\65 mph. One additional bonus is that cbt is not restricted to the vehicle you sit it on, so you can do the session on geared to benefit from instruction, and then ride on automatic after you pass (or vice verse if you like a challenge).

The one thing you might find about getting on two wheels is that you find you actually like it.

Contrary to all the doom and gloom merchants on here the sun does shine (every so often) and you are not guaranteed to fall off.

The popularity of scooters in recent times has as good as removed a whole section of small to middle capacity motorcycles.

Not so long ago there were Honda C50's, 70's and 90's, the CD 175, Honda Dream 250 and 400's everywhere in the rush hour.

Their big drawback was the lack of weather protection and carrying capacity. However, they were cheap to run, reliable and had BIG wheels which were much safer than the current tiddly scooter wheels.

Get the training under your belt, some decent clothing (can't stand the ridiculous word Body Armour) and enjoy yourself.

Enjoy, a word that seems to be missing on this thread! smile.gif

Cheers, great feedback, thanks!

It's starting to look like cbt, and a Honda 110/125cc with the bigger wheels.

The HPC wisdom of crowds comes to the rescue as I knew it would!

I like the word 'enjoy' too. One of my favourites.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

You'll like this: http://www.financial...ne-must-follow/

To be honest I think I'd prefer taxis or a smart car over solely having a scooter as you're still "on-grid".

I think c 50% new car purchase price/earnings depreciated over lifetime of car is a reasonable rule of thumb. From new for first 3 years that's roughly 60% depreciation or 10% of earnings per year. Keep it until year 10 (the longer the better) and that equates to c. 5% of earnings p.a. straight line depc'n.

I noticed this towards the end of that article though:

One of the worst combos is owning a car that you purchased for much more than 1/10th your gross income and renting. You now have two of your largest expenses sucking money away from you every single month. Think about all the wealthy people you know, or the millionaires next door. Chances are, the majority of them own their homes and drive used cars that don't come close to 50% of their gross income.

:D

Archived