Dacia Sandero - Sub £7K (Or Maybe £6K)

R K

HOLA441
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motor-shows/paris-motor-show/9550114/Dacia-Sandero-could-cost-from-5995.html

One for the HPC die-hards who might prefer a new car (albeit some old Clio underpinnings) rather than bankgernomics.

£6k over 120 months = £50 per month. Almost smart phone contract territory.

I'm prepared to guess by the time it gets here it will be specced up to the eyeballs, have six times as many airbags and cost about £12k.

HOLA444

I'm prepared to guess by the time it gets here it will be specced up to the eyeballs, have six times as many airbags and cost about £12k.

Base model won't be. Higher specs sure. Duster appears to be £8,995 for stripped out model.

Similar to the Skoda Citigo (£7.5k), VW Up (£8K) coming out of the VAG Czech factories. Base models come with manual window winders etc to keep costs down but can be optioned.

Point is that the straight line depreciation over the lifetime of these cars is probably less than the cost of the petrol to fuel them. Astonishing really for a 5 dr, and a welcome move away from (as SYNT points out) German made Golfs which are nudging not much short of £20k, and that's before Germany exits the Euro!

Will be interesting to see the actual prices/specs and insurance group/tax/CO2 when it launches next month. Not sure it will beat the Citigo overall.Ford and Vauxhall offerings look like toast though

Edit: The other issue in the UK market is that the govt. refuses to confirm policy on road tax. Presumably they don't have a policy like most everything else.

HOLA445

Base model won't be. Higher specs sure. Duster appears to be £8,995 for stripped out model.

When this was started a few years ago (car mags and Top Gear flagged it up) the Sandero was planned to be on sale for about £3.5k because of the back to basics approach. Even £6k is way north of that.

HOLA446
HOLA447

When this was started a few years ago (car mags and Top Gear flagged it up) the Sandero was planned to be on sale for about £3.5k because of the back to basics approach. Even £6k is way north of that.

There's been a "bit" of inflation since then and a massive depreciation in the pound, 6k isn't that far off what you might expect.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Similar to the Skoda Citigo (£7.5k), VW Up (£8K) coming out of the VAG Czech factories. Base models come with manual window winders etc to keep costs down but can be optioned.

Point is that the straight line depreciation over the lifetime of these cars is probably less than the cost of the petrol to fuel them. Astonishing really for a 5 dr, and a welcome move away from (as SYNT points out) German made Golfs which are nudging not much short of £20k, and that's before Germany exits the Euro!

Will be interesting to see the actual prices/specs and insurance group/tax/CO2 when it launches next month. Not sure it will beat the Citigo overall.Ford and Vauxhall offerings look like toast though

Edit: The other issue in the UK market is that the govt. refuses to confirm policy on road tax. Presumably they don't have a policy like most everything else.

Capital costs won't matter though if it can't do 50+ mpg

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Do you believe it's necessarily true that wind up windows are cheaper to install than electric ones? I reckon there'll be nothing in it.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Do you believe it's necessarily true that wind up windows are cheaper to install than electric ones? I reckon there'll be nothing in it.

Yes, though for parts and installation combined. Think of the wiring loom required and the electric motors. With wind-up windows the door has no wires in it and just joins on the hinges and lock.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Yes, though for parts and installation combined. Think of the wiring loom required and the electric motors. With wind-up windows the door has no wires in it and just joins on the hinges and lock.

Only if it doesn't have central locking though. Not convinced that the 'stripped out' spec is the way to go, as most drivers will expect some creature comforts in todays market. Why can't they provide a similar spec to current models from the parent company?

HOLA4418

I meant retail cost. No idea about the manufacturing/installation cost.

On the Skoda Citigo it appears to be a £350 cost option on the base model for electric front windows, driver's seat height adjustment and remote central locking. At least there's a choice.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/GBR/newcars/Citigo/Pages/default.aspx (from the download brochure)

Comfort pack Basic rrP

Comfort package (inc. Height Adj Driver

seat, Elec. Windows, remote Central locking)

Backrest release for front seats

with ‘Easy Entry’* £2 9 1.6 7 £350.00

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/offers

the bottom spec Hyundai I10 is £6995 and comes with

•Air conditioning

•Electric front windows

•Front and front side airbags

•Stereo RDS radio/CD player with MP3 compatibility

•USB and Aux connections

and a 5 year guarantee plus Korean reliability.

The Sandero is a bit bigger, to be fair, so should maybe be compared to the i20.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

You can't beat my Landcruiser for value. Bought it in 2005 for £4000. It was 13 years old with around 80,000 miles on the clock. 7 years and 131,000 on the clock later, and it's worth around £3,500. smile.gif

Yeah, but £4000 in 2005 is actually worth about £5000 in today's money. So you've lost 30% of it's value. Which to be fair, isn't terrible.

Inflation, don't you just love it?!

HOLA4424
1348167746[/url]' post='909143694']

Yeah, but £4000 in 2005 is actually worth about £5000 in today's money. So you've lost 30% of it's value. Which to be fair, isn't terrible.

Inflation, don't you just love it?!

I love my Landcruiser more. Have looked at brand new cars but just can't find one that I can afford that measures up. blink.gif ( it did cost £44,000 new and I couldn't afford more than about £25,000, but clearly am too mean to spend it on a car! Oh, and I run it on old chip oil!tongue.gif

HOLA4425

You can't beat my Landcruiser for value. Bought it in 2005 for £4000. It was 13 years old with around 80,000 miles on the clock. 7 years and 131,000 on the clock later, and it's worth around £3,500. smile.gif

So you'd need to include the mpg, cost of fuel, road tax, insurance, servicing, repairs etc over that 7 years too.

Depreciation is only one factor. Clearly also a landruiser is presumably serving a different requirement.

Archived