House Price Crash Forum

Oxford

leemo

HOLA441

June LandReg data update (and of course LandReg data is not complete and auction sales etc are excluded but will give a good idea of how things are)

Ox2 total completed sales in June : 18 vs 47 May, out of these: 8 are in North Oxford prime. 1 charbury road ask 850k got 850k

Ox1 : about 5 (end of month sales may not been recorded) vs 16 in May

Ox3 : 14 vs 24

Ox4 : 14 vs 30

Ox5 : 7 vs 21

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443

Does anyone know how to find out how much a house went for at auction?

This house went for auction in December 2009 I think, I think the guide price was £145k. It's now on for £290k. I can't remember the auction company.

It seems well overpriced to me. There are many similar houses nearby in arguably better locations for less.

Yes - if you remember the auction house - go to their website. Else therei is a database at : www.eigroup.co.uk cost a few hunred quid to subscribe a year...however.. Or you can ask for a free trial.

Or you can go to landregistry online, cost £4 for the title plan which will state the price (even at auction). Landreg just don't release them on the bulk data sales you get on the internet.

Edited by easybetman

HOLA444

Does anyone know how to find out how much a house went for at auction?

This house went for auction in December 2009 I think, I think the guide price was £145k. It's now on for £290k. I can't remember the auction company.

It seems well overpriced to me. There are many similar houses nearby in arguably better locations for less.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA445

Rent hike !

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-18125219.html

6 August 2010

* Price changed: from '£814 pw' to '£979 pw'

* Subtitle changed: from '2 bedroom serviced apartment ' to '3 bedroom house '

* Title changed: Rewley Road, Cunliffe Close, Oxford, OX1 (OXTTRR) OX2 (OXEVCC)

16 November 2009

* Price changed: from '£733 pw' to '£814 pw' [Found by n/a]

21 December 2008

* Subtitle changed: from '2 bedroom serviced apartments' to '2 bedroom serviced apartment ' [Found by n/a]

30 September 2008

* Brief Description changed: SHORT LET SERVICED ACCOMMODATION: A well appointed two bedroom ground floor apartment centrally located with excellent access to Said Business School, central University buildings and the main bus and train stations. Fully inclusive of all bills and weekly linen & towel change. Beautifully furnished & equipped for modern city life. [Found by n/a]

* Title changed: Rewley Road, Oxford, OX1 (OXTTRR) [Found by n/a]

17 March 2008

* Initial entry found. [Found by n/a]

=========================================================

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-13910520.html

16 August 2010 * Price changed: from '£2,801 pcm' to '£893 pw' (or around £3800pcm)

17 December 2009 * Price changed: from '£2,081 pcm' to '£2,801 pcm' [Found by n/a]

24 November 2009 * Initial entry found. [Found by n/a]

HOLA446

My feeling is that the lack of forced sellers makes this a pretty accurate prediction - there could be zero sales everywhere, doesn;t mean prices are dropping. In my area (East Oxford villages) it has gone very quiet and a few places are dropping their asking prices but not by much and they clearly are not under pressure to sell. The only thing that could start a fall is a serious cut back in the public sector (employers like RM, the university, the hospitals are exposed and make up a big chunk of local employment - might this happen?) or if interest rates rocket to 5% - not likely to happen imo.

If something comes on at a decent price I will buy, just as I tried to do a few months back (chain that did not exist according to the agent collapsed) - I would now be paying £1000 / month on a mortgage rather than £1400 on rent ... like my beer I am bitter!

regards

J

You may be interested to learn that the City Council has just cut 25% from their budget and are looking for another 20% of savings.

HOLA447
HOLA448
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA449

Im looking for some advice as to where to buy in and around Oxford.

18 months ago i tripped over myself fell on top of some young women and as if by magic i now have a 9 month old child, so we're needing a place to live.

Anyway between us we've got 60,000 pounds to use as a deposit on a small place somewhere in the vicinity of Oxford, and we're looking to get a 10 year fixed mortgage at 5.1%, borrowing 115,000 in total which will mean monthly payments of 686.79GBP.

My thinking is house prices will go down maybe crash when interest rates go up, so its 6 and 2, 3s .... and ive been waiting 4 years now.

Now ive never lived in Oxford and have only stayed for a few months when i am back from working overseas, so dont really know the area too well, i like the look of Kidlington but for a 3 bed shoe box which is what id take its near to 210,000 and prices have gone up in the last year according to houseprices.co.uk.

So could anyone recommend areas where i may get a 3 bed shoebox for 175,000 in the next few months, somewhere where there isnt lots of ferral teenagers and where may have a decent first school for when the time comes.

Thanks in advance.

HOLA4410

Im looking for some advice as to where to buy in and around Oxford.

18 months ago i tripped over myself fell on top of some young women and as if by magic i now have a 9 month old child, so we're needing a place to live.

Anyway between us we've got 60,000 pounds to use as a deposit on a small place somewhere in the vicinity of Oxford, and we're looking to get a 10 year fixed mortgage at 5.1%, borrowing 115,000 in total which will mean monthly payments of 686.79GBP.

My thinking is house prices will go down maybe crash when interest rates go up, so its 6 and 2, 3s .... and ive been waiting 4 years now.

Now ive never lived in Oxford and have only stayed for a few months when i am back from working overseas, so dont really know the area too well, i like the look of Kidlington but for a 3 bed shoe box which is what id take its near to 210,000 and prices have gone up in the last year according to houseprices.co.uk.

So could anyone recommend areas where i may get a 3 bed shoebox for 175,000 in the next few months, somewhere where there isnt lots of ferral teenagers and where may have a decent first school for when the time comes.

Thanks in advance.

HOLA4411

I am looking to buy a small 2/3 bed place in Oxford as i've now got a baby that is going to need somewhere settled to live, and mother is going to be getting her old job back.

I've got a 60k deposit and am looking to borrow 115k on a 10 year fixed mortgage at a rate of 5.1%, hence will have monthly repayments of 686GBP.

However i have looked at 2/3 bed places on houseprices.co.uk and to my astonishment places in Kidlington which is where id like seem to have gone up 10-15% in the last year or 2.

So can anyone recommend any decent areas close to Oxford ie within lets say 6-7 miles that have good schools, are safe to walk around for a young mother and most importantly where i can get as close to value for money as possible in this distorted market.

My reasons for buying are ive waited 4 years and prices havent gone down, i can only see them falling to affordable levels when interest rates rise hence repayments will always be similar, 5.1% fixed for 10 years offers stability and is affordable and is 300GBP a month cheaper then renting, my savings are being destroyed by inflation and i fear inflation could stay high for a long time as thats part of the LIB/LAB/CON plan, and finally i want somewhere settled for my kid.

**** me im sure my parents didnt have to think like this when buying somewhere when i were a lad 30 yrs ago

PS i did put this in the Oxford forum but it didnt get posted for some reason.

HOLA4412

Have a look at Peachcroft in Abingdon. Don't know about the schools. Is a bit chavy, but on the good side of chav, if you see what I mean, i.e. people hold down jobs. Good little shopping centre. Parks for kids. Easy access to central Abingdon, and a 20 minute walk to the Radley train station if you work in Oxford (or you can hop on the A34.)

Edited by Tiger Woods?

HOLA4413

Have a look at Peachcroft in Abingdon. Don't know about the schools. Is a bit chavy, but on the good side of chav, if you see what I mean, i.e. people hold down jobs. Good little shopping centre. Parks for kids. Easy access to central Abingdon, and a 20 minute walk to the Radley train station if you work in Oxford (or you can hop on the A34.)

I'd also recommend looking at Abingdon. There are buses every 10 minutes to Oxford too.

HOLA4414

you can buy a very nice 7 place canoe in Oxford and live on the river.

link please for the 10 year fix.

beware of the bridge....duck your head as you go under if you are tall.

too much self tan can cause a nasty orange colour.

HOLA4415

you can buy a very nice 7 place canoe in Oxford and live on the river.

link please for the 10 year fix.

beware of the bridge....duck your head as you go under if you are tall.

too much self tan can cause a nasty orange colour.

Why waste your time writing such nonsense?

Here is a link at 4.99%.

http://www.ybs.co.uk/mortgages/current_products/index.html

HOLA4416

Thanks i'll take a look around there.

HOLA4417

Yorkshire BS are doing 10 yr fix at 4.99%. Min 25% deposit, £495 fee:

http://www.ybs.co.uk/mortgages/current_products/products/10yr_fix_01.html

Edit: Beaten to it above whilst I was searching. There are 2 yr rates out there at 2.99% but if you get charged a fee every time you apply for a fix, even that would be offset over the years.

Edited by deflation

HOLA4418

Yorkshire BS are doing 10 yr fix at 4.99%. Min 25% deposit, £495 fee:

http://www.ybs.co.uk...0yr_fix_01.html

Melanie Bien, director at mortgage broker Private Finance, described the Yorkshire loan as "very competitive", but warned that borrowers whose circumstances may change should be wary about fixing for a long period.

"This product is portable, which means in theory you could take it with you if you move during the fixed period, but this will depend on the lender approving your new property purchase and LTV, which is by no means guaranteed," she said.

"If you can't agree with the lender to port the mortgage you would have to pay a heavy redemption penalty to get out of the deal early."

Borrowers must pay early repayment charges of 7% of the loan if they want to get out of the deal before 2013, decreasing on a sliding scale to 1% in the last year.

thanks for the links guys...the sting is in the early repayment, oh and the 10 year fixed rate repayment of £115K costs £1225.38 per month.

Edited by Bloo Loo

HOLA4419

Could i get peoples opinions as to whether buying right now with such good interest rates on offer is worthwhile, especially with inflation being so high.

I know house prices will fall but my theory is it'll only be by noticeable amounts when interest rates rise at which point i'll still be making similar monthly payments, does anyone else subscribe to this theory?

HOLA4420

Could i get peoples opinions as to whether buying right now with such good interest rates on offer is worthwhile, especially with inflation being so high.

I know house prices will fall but my theory is it'll only be by noticeable amounts when interest rates rise at which point i'll still be making similar monthly payments, does anyone else subscribe to this theory?

you know prices will fall...your words, yet you consider getting into a fix with high out costs and danger of non portability in the case of an LTV drop?

I dont KNOW prices will fall.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

If you decide to buy

This area of Bicester was nice 10 years ago, not sure of the area today£190,000

Also Headington in Oxford but you will need to haggle the bank (owned) down £200,000

that first one has been on since December 2009, I guess that seller is immovable.

HOLA4425

you know prices will fall...your words, yet you consider getting into a fix with high out costs and danger of non portability in the case of an LTV drop?

I dont KNOW prices will fall.

Im looking at this place to be where my child will spend her entire childhood

I work in the oil industry i have got a 3 year contract paying 800USD per day on a 28/28 day rotation, i will have cash to buy should i desire but it would be a case of throwing money away to buy outright, hence im curious as to whether people agree with me that to borrow at such low rates is a good opportunity.

The situation with the baby is not so simple, im trying to do the decent thing and am putting all my hard earned savings that i got off my ass and physically earned into this so please can you offer some decent advice.

And yes i know that prices will fall in relation to wages in one way or another over the coming years.

Edited by BuyInOxford