House Price Crash Forum

Time For A Good Sunday Afternoon Film

SHERWICK

HOLA441

+1

Passport to Pimlico

Whisky Galore

Yep, forgot those as well.

Most of the Ealings of course, even The Titfeild Thunderbolt (colour).

If that theme tune sounds familar, that's because it it.

Shoestring was reincarnated as Bergerac, which ran for 10 years (ending 2 decades ago).

Bergerac had the same creator and the brief from the BBC must have been along the lines of "can we have more Shoestring, only call it something different".

Good series though, I'd like to watch them both again some day.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Bergerac had the same creator and the brief from the BBC must have been along the lines of "can we have more Shoestring, only call it something different".

Actually, it's just occurred to me that if Shoestring had been made in the 90s, wouldn't they have just replaced Trevor Eve with another actor, much like Heartbeat, Where the Heart is, Peak Practice, Taggart etc.

How many Nick Berry clones have there been in Heartbeat anyway?

HOLA443

Almost anything with Virginia McKenna in makes a good Sunday afternoon film...Born Free, Ring Of Bright Water, Carve Her Name With Pride.

(Anyone else remember the appallingly bad Sunday kids' show 'Tingha and Tucker' in the 60's?)

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

+1

Passport to Pimlico

Whisky Galore

Also the odd Will Hay film, still make me laugh.

You may be aware, or not, that lots of these kinds of films are available to watch streaming on Youtube. If you have a good broadband connection they're ok to watch on full screen if they are 360 dpi or more. I rig the computer up to the hi-fi to get better sound.

I live abroad and don't get English telly so it is pretty much all I watch. Over the past few weeks I've watched loads of old British comedies and thrillers from the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. They are generally so much better than films today in terms of acting, direction, cinematography and scripts.

The copyright situation is questionable; youtube seems to delete some of them from time to time but not others. I think a lot of the older ones from the 40s are out of copyright though.

Otherwise I enjoy listening to BBC online: R4 and R4 extra plays (I try to screen out the leftie ones), In Our Time with M .Bragg, and Choral Evensong on sunday afternoons.

I agree about the poster who said the theme from 'Last of the Summer Wine' filled him with dread. It always makes me think of rotting away in a grim northern town and ultimately, death. It's something to do with the melancholy, reflective nature of Sunday afternoons I think.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

You may be aware, or not, that lots of these kinds of films are available to watch streaming on Youtube. If you have a good broadband connection they're ok to watch on full screen if they are 360 dpi or more. I rig the computer up to the hi-fi to get better sound.

Thanks for the idea, I just found a classic Will Hay film 'Boys will be boys'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq47gvQzfFI

HOLA4416

I agree about the poster who said the theme from 'Last of the Summer Wine' filled him with dread. It always makes me think of rotting away in a grim northern town and ultimately, death. It's something to do with the melancholy, reflective nature of Sunday afternoons I think.

Little anecdote - for years if you wrote to the BBC Comedy Unit enquiring about how to write and submit comedy scripts to the BBC you would get back several pages of A4 detailing why LOTSW was the perfect, sublime comedy and something to aspire to.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Thanks for the idea, I just found a classic Will Hay film 'Boys will be boys'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq47gvQzfFI

I bought the complete Will Hay film set for about £4 on Ebay; at the time there was some dispute over copyright and it was thought they were out of it so people were selling their old VHS versions transferred onto disk. Most of them are on Youtube now though.

IMO Mr Hay was a comic genius. Everything about those films is pure joy. Some of the early ones are a bit ropey but always worth a watch. 'Hey Hey USA' is quite good where he goes to the USA as a tutor and gets mixed up with mobsters (as all comedians did in America in the 30s!).

Youtube also has weird films I've never even heard of, let alone seen on tellie. There's one from 1958 called 'The Horse's Mouth' starring Sir Alec Guinness as a madcap drunken artist, a sort of early version of 'Withnail and I. '

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Will Hay was a genius and interesting private life off camera (taken from wiki). Harold Lloyd was another influential comedian who is copied even today, but regrettably falls behind Charlie Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy or Buster Keaton for name recognition or contribution.

Harold Lloyd is the only silent comedian I find funny (I like Laurel and Hardy's silent films but I think of them more as from the talkie era) I don't care much for Chaplin or Keaton. You can get most of Lloyd's films on the Internet Archive though they don't always have musical accompaniment, which puts me off a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4422

Lost Horizon (1973 remake)

1937 original is a classic master work (on in 50 mins at 00.20 this morning on bbc 2 ), but this remake as a Burt Bacarach musical is more sunday afternoon

The world is a bubble, without a beginning, and nobody knows where it really ends..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC1C1L5jOHE

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

A few more golden oldies:

Rebecca (old B&W, new version Mrs Danvers not nearly so creepily evil)

Blithe Spirit

Goodbye Mr Chips (new version with Martin Clunes also excellent)

and not an oldie but a very well done WW2, Goodnight Mr Tom, with the much lamented John Thaw.

Archived