HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I very much doubt it was an 'accident'.

Very sad though.

my thoughts when I heard the story. Quick google search revealed no stories of ejector seat suicide, so couldn't find a presedent. All conjecture of course, the truth will out.

Seen many people however in which misplaced guilt and an undue sense of responsibility have led to suicide attempts with no prior history of mental illness.

Used to love the Red Arrows as a boy. Skill, talent and bravery unmatched.

HOLA449

my thoughts when I heard the story. Quick google search revealed no stories of ejector seat suicide, so couldn't find a presedent. All conjecture of course, the truth will out.

Seen many people however in which misplaced guilt and an undue sense of responsibility have led to suicide attempts with no prior history of mental illness.

Used to love the Red Arrows as a boy. Skill, talent and bravery unmatched.

The only way I can imagine you would do this would be to eject without strapping yourself in? I'm no expert, but don't these things have rocket assist now, to get you to a safe height?

HOLA4410

The only way I can imagine you would do this would be to eject without strapping yourself in? I'm no expert, but don't these things have rocket assist now, to get you to a safe height?

All I've seen are clips on you tube and on TV. They all seem to propell the occupants seat a fair distance vertically to give the canopy time to open.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

All I've seen are clips on you tube and on TV. They all seem to propell the occupants seat a fair distance vertically to give the canopy time to open.

It's a fairly modern seat in the Hawk (Martin Baker Mk10), and they are designed to get the aircrew out safely at zero altitude and zero speed.

A deliberate ejection without being strapped in might well be a viable means of committing suicide.

If it went off unexpectedly though, all sorts of bad things could happen. The pilot may have been going through pre-filght checks of some kind, for instance, and wouldn't have been in the correct posture to eject without injury.

On that seat, ejection is initiated by pulling on a black and yellow striped handle beteween the pilot's legs, and not something that happens due to being clumsy.

Archived