House Price Crash Forum

2007 Meet 2012

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Bournemouth is a bleedin' dump. One of the MOST over-priced places on the planet. BIG CRASH already in play here methinks.... & it's going to be an even BIGGER crash......... :rolleyes:

Whilst I have some sympathy for that view in regard to the East side of the town, anyone who thinks the west side is a dump has clearly never been there. Expensive yes, overvalued? - very probably.

But are you saying that Talbot Woods, Westbourne, Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & the footballers wives haven of Sandbanks are all dumps? (granted the latter are technically in Poole, but it all merges into one)

HOLA445

Whilst I have some sympathy for that view in regard to the East side of the town

Queens Park, Boscombe Manor, Talbot Woods is on the east side of town too (east of the river Bourne). Charminster isn't bad on the global scheme of things. Winton towards the Uni and out east are not bad areas to live.

Overpriced, yes, relative to local wages but anywhere along the coast is not going to come down much if you are hoping for sea views.

HOLA446
HOLA447

I can tell you for a fact there is an increase in student numbers. Hard to say what will happen next year with the increase in fee's. A lot of students are annoyed at the idea of an increase in fee's but would rather go into debt than finish college and not be able to get a job. At least they are doing something constructive, despite getting into debt.

I think there will be an increase in students going to attending the nearest uni to where their parents live, rather than moving out and renting. This should hit the BTL market. While international students will like to stay in the kind of accommodation shown being built at the start of this thread, as its safer and easier than the chaos of private renting.

HOLA448
HOLA449

two years in the real world might change that perception especially if they get sat beside an indebted grad at a call centre

I'm sure the governmetn will make sure that any chance of that is stamped on.

The economics of today requires student to pre-spend a good part of their lifetime's spending money before they have even started work - just a way of front loading the ecocnomy mainly to obscure the economic reality of what past and current governemtns have actually done to the economy.

HOLA4410

Whilst I have some sympathy for that view in regard to the East side of the town, anyone who thinks the west side is a dump has clearly never been there. Expensive yes, overvalued? - very probably.

But are you saying that Talbot Woods, Westbourne, Branksome Park, Canford Cliffs & the footballers wives haven of Sandbanks are all dumps? (granted the latter are technically in Poole, but it all merges into one)

Talbot Woods, Branksome Park & sandbanks are nice, but only if you've for a minimun of £700k. Westbourne is not that nice, although the local agents think it's a 'village' (perhaps they need a definition dictionary)

Most normal working class areas are so heavily built upon that everyone is crammed and there is generally no parking anywhere, so yes, it is turning into a dump, and having lived here for 35 years Ive started considering to move.

HOLA4411

seems good to me

500 50% female knock 20% ugly off and i make that 200 opportinities

never liked the idea of halls at uni. i went for shared.

however the oportinitie to have 200 without having to step outside is v appealing.

bmouth is more language/fe college where various 'students' sign on to go and work at a takeaway

70% of bmouth is v crappy. some of it is hackney/tottenham levels

it will end in tears

HOLA4412

Interesting cosmopolitan place, bournemouth is. I lived there for 5 years with the young adult lifestyle as part of the experience.

There are many international students and those who come to work for the large banks and insurance houses - Liverpool Victoria. There are Portugese, Spanish, French, Japanese, Thai, Greek, Polish, etc. People come and go there is a constant flow in and out. I've met so many people from all round the world whilst I was renting in diggs, working over there. They still do the free Salsa lessons in Bar So I think on Wednesdays, perhaps. I remember going to Elements, Alcatraz, 1812, Walkabout, Yates, DNA, etc. Great when you are young, free and single!

David Wells has some 1000 properties as BTL, and is the BTL king. No news on that front, I always keep my ears to the ground.

I can't see BTL dying a death yet over in the BH1 area, outside of London, Bournemouth is very attractive globally.

HOLA4413

David Wells has some 1000 properties as BTL, and is the BTL king. No news on that front, I always keep my ears to the ground.

I can't see BTL dying a death yet over in the BH1 area, outside of London, Bournemouth is very attractive globally.

Dave wells is still going at it and springing up new builds all over the place, although you wouldn't want that next door to you.

I would definately choose Bournemouth over London, but Bournemouth used to be a very nice place to live, but these days its as over crowded as London, and with it brings the same problems.

HOLA4414

Colonel Gadaffi studied in Bournemouth in his formative years .We have the IMAX building a most stylish edifice. Over the last 10 years many of the older family houses have been demolished to make way for endless blocks of 'luxury ' flats .on every available blade of grass.hmm . If the council could , they would concrete over the sea to build more . They recently paid over 3 million pounds to a new zew Zealand company to fill a few sandbags and make a serffff reeffffffff. I hear the council are now taking advice from Colonel Gadaffis interior designer with a view to trying to entice him back and for him to buy a pad at Sandbanks with some of his gold .Bournemouth is a cultural wilderness with plenty of surrounding natural beauty , and occasion flash floods . Southbourne is Sandbanks without the bling . Personally I love the place having lived here all my life , so I guess I am biased ..Ahhhh Sunny sunny Bornemouth.

HOLA4415

Talbot Woods, Branksome Park & sandbanks are nice, but only if you've for a minimun of £700k. Westbourne is not that nice, although the local agents think it's a 'village' (perhaps they need a definition dictionary)

Most normal working class areas are so heavily built upon that everyone is crammed and there is generally no parking anywhere, so yes, it is turning into a dump, and having lived here for 35 years Ive started considering to move.

Have lived here much of my life,

I like it but being 42 I don't go into town much, use the beaches all the time and Hengistbury head too.

Am pleased the blocks are going up, bring back families to the houses, good idea.... albeit it very late

HOLA4416

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/districts/bournemouth/9232587.Man_fights_for_life_after_assault_in_Charminster_street/?ref=mr

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the violence of the Bournemouth weekend night economy.

Stories like the above are almost a weekly occurence.

The frightener is (as the article states) that no one even glances out of their window at a woman screaming at 2am because it is so commonplace.

In the last 18 months or so there have been murders/manslaughters in Boscombe, Kinson, Charminster, Southbourne, Westbourne, Pokesdown and other locations.

Gene Benjamin recently got life for seven violent rapes.

Unprovoked assaults by drink-fuelled young men are common.

Weekend B'mouth in particular is a dangerous place after midnight.

I'm local - and wouldn't go there.

Edited by juvenal

HOLA4417

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/districts/bournemouth/9232587.Man_fights_for_life_after_assault_in_Charminster_street/?ref=mr

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the violence of the Bournemouth weekend night economy.

Stories like the above are almost a weekly occurence.

The frightener is (as the article states) that no one even glances out of their window at a woman screaming at 2am because it is so commonplace.

In the last 18 months or so there have been murders/manslaughters in Boscombe, Kinson, Charminster, Southbourne, Westbourne, Pokesdown and other locations.

Gene Benjamin recently got life for seven violent rapes.

Unprovoked assaults by drink-fuelled young men are common.

Weekend B'mouth in particular is a dangerous place after midnight.

I'm local - and wouldn't go there.

Bmouth does seem to be getting very 'knifey'.

There seems to be about one murder/month on the drags/bar roads into town.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I live in Southbourne and its a wonderful place to live. with a village feel about the shops an community. Everything is walkable and the people are very friendly. There is the lovely Bournemouth beaches, Hengistbury Head, great parks and excellent schools. Wages do suck and there are alot of old people but i would'nt want to live anywhere else as its a great place for children to grow up! Its just far enough from Bournemouth but near enough for the amenities. And the weather is suprisingly better than most of the rest of the country with its own micro climate.

Prices are very expensive but it is a very desirable place to live and it reminds me of an England of several decades ago.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420

They'll be throwing in a Gideons bible and streaming God TV then.

Holy sh1t, that's blasphemous. Thanks again for finding this out.

Bad form to bump ones own thread, but as you were interested there are now some signs for "Watkin Jones Student Accommodation" up on the structure. Someone else tells me the God lot are/will be leasing part of it to use as a day centre.

HOLA4421