House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Horridbloke

2007 Meet 2012

I just photographed this poster opposite the railway station in Bournemouth. It's in between the studenty Lansdowne area and Charminster, where lots of students live:

2007.jpg

So far so good, if you happen to be a BTLer and are looking forwards to years and years of easy money from cramming a 3 bedroom (4 bedroom since you eliminated the living room) house in Charminster. But hold on, what's that behind the poster...

2012.jpg

Somebody's building a massive student citadel containing a massive 568 (IIRC) beds. By my reckoning that's going to take away somewhere in the region of 140 houses-worth of rental business from the local BTL crowd when it's finished. Add that to the probably falling numbers attending the university over the coming years and a lot of local entrepreneurs are going to be eating beans for the foreseeable future.

Or have I got it wrong and Bournemouth is special? :ph34r:

I don't know Bournemouth, but similar things have appeared in Bristol.

I think these are rather expensive, and students would get better value in a shared house.

I just photographed this poster opposite the railway station in Bournemouth. It's in between the studenty Lansdowne area and Charminster, where lots of students live:

2007.jpg

So far so good, if you happen to be a BTLer and are looking forwards to years and years of easy money from cramming a 3 bedroom (4 bedroom since you eliminated the living room) house in Charminster. But hold on, what's that behind the poster...

2012.jpg

Somebody's building a massive student citadel containing a massive 568 (IIRC) beds. By my reckoning that's going to take away somewhere in the region of 140 houses-worth of rental business from the local BTL crowd when it's finished. Add that to the probably falling numbers attending the university over the coming years and a lot of local entrepreneurs are going to be eating beans for the foreseeable future.

same kind of mega student residences built in leeds - murdered student lettings, returns and house prices have collapsed

same kind of mega student residences built in leeds - murdered student lettings, returns and house prices have collapsed

I was wrong then! :huh:

Bournemouth is a bleedin' dump. One of the MOST over-priced places on the planet. BIG CRASH already in play here methinks.... & it's going to be an even BIGGER crash......... :rolleyes:

I know the area well, and would welcome most of the houses in Winton/Charminster being turned back into family units instead of being let to students.

In addition to this wapping site of student developements have you also spotted the 210 student units they are also building next to police station in Madeira Road?

So that's nearly 800 new students beds under construction..... bye bye BTLs, don''t let the door hit your asses on the way out! :D

Edited by mason

I think these are rather expensive, and students would get better value in a shared house.

Eggbox-style accommodation of this sort isn't to everyone's tastes and some students, particularly mature ones, would prefer the relative freedom of a house share. I suspect your average eighteen-year-old-never-left-home-before type will go for the easy option (and the parents would probably be happier knowing their offspring is unlikely to be killed by a CO-emitting boiler).

I was wrong then! :huh:

i think you DO get cheaper in a shared house, the posh blocks ARE pricey, but you get security, great facilities, great location, near all your friend, etc in the blocks, may make them better value despite beign more expensive in some ways,

I think the issue is 2 fold: (1) massive increase in student housing supply. MASSIVE. (2) economies of scale for the private halls, 200 (or whatever) near identical shared 5 bed flats in a massive block, easy to maintain, very easy indeed, compared to sundry hundreds of private Rigsby houses

Bournemouth is a bleedin' dump. One of the MOST over-priced places on the planet. BIG CRASH already in play here methinks.... & it's going to be an even BIGGER crash......... :rolleyes:

you live in Bournemouth Eric?

They have built these "student citadels" in Huddersfield too and I kind of get the impression they are difficult to let as they are expensive. Something like £100 per week (which is more than I am paying) and they have to throw in bills and freebies like a free flat screen TV. I suspect students gang together and get a shared house, or certainly do in later years when chucked out of halls. However I'm sure the "edububble" is due to burst too.

Just to add they try and let them as cheap alternatives to "Travelodge" outside of term time too, if you are looking for a weekend break. laugh.gif

Edited by John Steed

I know the area well, and would welcome most of the houses in Winton/Charminster being turned back into family units.

In addition to this wapping site of student developements have you also spotted the 210 student units they are also building next to police station in Madeira Road?

So that's nearly 800 new students beds under construction..... bye bye BTLs, don''t let the door hit your asses on the way out! :D

Don't forget the student skyscraper that opened several hundred yards west of this one several years back -it's roughly opposite Inferno. I'd estimate that at 300 beds. Someone must be feeling the pain now...

I should clarify I personally have nothing against students, I'd just like the option to buy in Bournemouth at a sane price. Eric is right, the place is a dump, I just happen to like it.

Don't forget the student skyscraper that opened several hundred yards west of this one several years back -it's roughly opposite Inferno. I'd estimate that at 300 beds. Someone must be feeling the pain now...

I should clarify I personally have nothing against students, I'd just like the option to buy in Bournemouth at a sane price. Eric is right, the place is a dump, I just happen to like it.

I've lived here all my life so don't really know any different... but one thing I do know, like you, is im not buying unless the price is sane.

Lets face it, Bournemouth is not a high earning place, and house prices are way way way off wages.

Thanks to OP for pics!

Big student accomodation going up in the middle of Portsmouth as well.

Bournemouth is different - alot of foreign students from wealthy (£ devaluation!) families go there to learn english, so developments like that may not have the same impact as in student towns that rely on domestic debt-slave careerists.

What's the company behind this?

I advised my mother to pull out of Kay Brande... student accommodation fund two years ago and wouldn't be surprised to see these guys behind the scheme.

It's taken two years for the company to make a full redemption on her original investment of six figures (3 big ones) - shocked to get it all back TBH and at a loss as to where she can take shelter (long term i've advised her to look at 3-4 investment properties as BT[responsibly]L - but after the correction obviously and that'll make purpose built blocks for students decidedly shaky business sense for the same reasons others have stated here - less students and preferring to live in a shared house)

What's the company behind this?

I advised my mother to pull out of Kay Brande... student accommodation fund two years ago and wouldn't be surprised to see these guys behind the scheme.

It's taken two years for the company to make a full redemption on her original investment of six figures (3 big ones) - shocked to get it all back TBH and at a loss as to where she can take shelter (long term i've advised her to look at 3-4 investment properties as BT[responsibly]L - but after the correction obviously and that'll make purpose built blocks for students decidedly shaky business sense for the same reasons others have stated here - less students and preferring to live in a shared house)

This one doesn't appear to be directly connected to the university. I took a picture of the developer's board but it came out rubbish. Will try again tomorrow but the name seems to be "Citygate" ("City" in blue lettering, "gate" in orange).

(Edit: reduce number of typos.)

Edited by Horridbloke

This one doesn't appear to be directly connected to the university. I took a picture of the developer's board but it came out rubbish. Will try again tomorrow but the name seems to be "Citygate" ("City" in blue lettering, "gate" in orange).

(Edit: reduce number of typos.)

Thank you. In fairness it probably isn't the company I mooted. Still a bl00dy big 'if' piling in to student accommodation in any shape or form.

From my experience (sheffield uni) overseas students like to live in student halls or gated communities such its these. Its the home students that prefer the shared house (or in my case a shared 17 bedroom pub). Landlords offering mid terrace boxes in the rundown parts of town are or borrowed time. I couldn't afford to go to uni now, barely able to in 2002!

From my experience (sheffield uni) overseas students like to live in student halls or gated communities such its these. Its the home students that prefer the shared house (or in my case a shared 17 bedroom pub). Landlords offering mid terrace boxes in the rundown parts of town are or borrowed time. I couldn't afford to go to uni now, barely able to in 2002!

:o

You must have had some epic parties.

Thank you. In fairness it probably isn't the company I mooted. Still a bl00dy big 'if' piling in to student accommodation in any shape or form.

as far as I know these modern private halls of residence will take non students in addition, typically young white collar workers living together or with postgrads and mature students

Just out of interest, where was that pub? Something like a google maps reference would be ideal.

(I did research at Sheffield Uni, and have some memories of the place).

:o

You must have had some epic parties.

Found it online. Rents £75pw now, it was £48.50 in 2003-05

http://www.sunrisestar.co.uk/albion.php

Yeah some decent parties. Big problem was that its in the middle of sheffields red light district and featured on Britains streets of vice. Still remember the hockers asking for fags each time we left the flat.

Friends daughter at Uni has a room in one of these blocks,£60 a week inclusive each,she shares with boyfriend,place is bigger than many one bed slave boxes.

What they get

as standard

24hr building management

& security

Warm, friendly, helpful staff on-site

Deluxe, Deluxe Plus & Superior Studios Available

Purpose designed fully fitted private studio bedroom

Single, Twin or Double Bed layout

Private shower room

Private Kitchenette

24hr unlimited Broadband

Flat screen TV with DVD, Digital TV

(TV License not included)

Electricity & utility bills included

Room cleaning & Laundry of bed

linen & towels

Student contents insurance

Bicycle store

Services in the Building

Gym/Lounge/Meeting Rooms on-site

Laundry on site (Coin operated)

Also in Kingston. There's been a lot of talk about students 'demanding' high spec accomm. but it's usually from the VIs trying to get investors to pile in. More than ever from next yr (apart from the best off and a fair %age of rich foreign students) I'd imagine they'll be looking for cheap and cheerful.

My two both lived in shared pigsties and it didn't do them any harm. ;)

Found it. Weirdly enough it seems to be the local god botherers: http://www.citygatechurch.net/

(Other religions are available.)

Found it online. Rents £75pw now, it was £48.50 in 2003-05

http://www.sunrisestar.co.uk/albion.php

Yeah some decent parties. Big problem was that its in the middle of sheffields red light district and featured on Britains streets of vice. Still remember the hockers asking for fags each time we left the flat.

Hehe.

My department was in the Portobello centre, and (like many of my colleagues) I'd often work irregular hours. Any time one went in or out in the evenings one would pass the ladies of the night on the street corners. We had a sensible working relationship: we didn't bother them, they didn't bother us.

Are the best curry houses on West Street still a great meal at an amazingly reasonable price?