House Price Crash Forum

Uk Car Sales Fall For 13Th Consecutive Month

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/aug/04/uk-car-sales-fall

UK car sales fell 3.5% last month as weak economic growth and the sombre consumer mood hit demand.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said new car registrations fell to 131,634, the 13th successive monthly decline, although total 2011 sales are still expected to reach the forecast of just under 2m.

Paul Everitt, the SMMT chief executive, said the figures reflected "slower economic growth and subdued consumer confidence", with strong demand for company-bought vehicles among the few bright spots. Nonetheless, overall sales are down 6.7% in the year to date, partly because private demand no longer has the support of the government-backed scrappage scheme introduced in 2009.

Clearly people can no longer afford to buy a new car every other year now the house cash machine doesn't work.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Why buy new when a minter e36 328i is £2k?

My Brother just bought one for under £1500. Very expensive on fuel and tax and getting to the age where they break. Also seems to eat tyres quicker than a smaller hatch. I'm suprised people are still buying cars like this at all.

HOLA446

Welcome to the new world I've been talking about for a few years now. Without the state pumping money in there is no economy. Or at least an ever reducing one.

Its a logical result of the technological progression that has gone on. But most aren't willing to accept where we are.

HOLA447
HOLA448

My Brother just bought one for under £1500. Very expensive on fuel and tax and getting to the age where they break. Also seems to eat tyres quicker than a smaller hatch. I'm suprised people are still buying cars like this at all.

A new or nearly-new car could easily lose £1500 in depreciation in just one year, so lighten up! It is rear-wheel drive and has a big engine, is it any surprise it uses more fuel and is harder on tyres? That said, maybe a 323 would be better but is probably more expensive in the first place.

The way petrol is going a lot of people won't be able to afford such a thirsty, but fun, car in 10 years time so may as well enjoy it while it lasts.

HOLA449

The truth is a lot of people have spent money they haven't got yet, on a depreciating asset!

I can't see that being popular choice in this economic climate. :blink:

HOLA4410

A new or nearly-new car could easily lose £1500 in depreciation in just one year, so lighten up! It is rear-wheel drive and has a big engine, is it any surprise it uses more fuel and is harder on tyres? That said, maybe a 323 would be better but is probably more expensive in the first place.

The way petrol is going a lot of people won't be able to afford such a thirsty, but fun, car in 10 years time so may as well enjoy it while it lasts.

For motorway use the 328 is very good, mine has over 200,000 miles, I drive 30,000 a year. In town it uses a lot of fuel overall it's only slightly worse than the 318 I owned before.

HOLA4411

Quick! Best roll out another silly to save the 'UK?' car industry.

Perhaps it would be good to invest in a second hand car at the moment if supply is falling?

Already had the scrappage....what about tightening the MOT guidelines....more MOT failures = people will have to buy more cars..... :huh:

HOLA4412

Those are cars for crack dealers and wannabe bling-rappers (at least in London), I wouldn't want to be seen dead in one.

In North London we run around in these obviously they aren't very good at their trade down your way .... ;)

http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/used-cars-for-sale/bentley/continental/13863472

I hear you can get them for less than 30k at auction, if cars are your thing it is a lovely way to go to hell in a hand basket

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA4413

Why buy new when a minter e36 328i is £2k?

2k buys a very good secondhand car! I think it's a very good time to get a bargain, if you need a car! :)

HOLA4414

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/aug/04/uk-car-sales-fall

Clearly people can no longer afford to buy a new car every other year now the house cash machine doesn't work.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles/2011/08/cars/ford/fiesta/ford-fiesta-leads-uk-car-sales

The Ford Fiesta was the best-selling model in July and remains the best-selling car of 2011.

It leads a growth in the popularity of supermini models, which accounted for 34.2 per cent of all cars sold last month.

Diesel models have again increased in popularity, accounting for 52.4 per cent of sales in July.

There's more detail needed as people are buying super-minis, and diesels.

HOLA4415

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles/2011/08/cars/ford/fiesta/ford-fiesta-leads-uk-car-sales

There's more detail needed as people are buying super-minis, and diesels.

I reckon thats what is happening, i'm seeing loads more small cars on the road than there used to be, seems to be a lot of Pug 107's and Citreon C1's and such. In this climate it makes sense to own a car like that as road tax is £20 a year (A YEAR! mines £220!) and they do up 60 mpg on unleaded so fuel is cheap per mile.

Problem is each Car manufacture usually only has 1 model of ultra small car and about 5 or 6 larger models which are probably taking the hit. Maybe one day were end up like Japan and all be driving kei cars.

As an anecdote my job is supporting a large prestige car manufacture and their sales have slumped massively. One of the sales guys I was speaking too had been working 14 days straight 8am to 8pm to make up the loss in commission.