House Price Crash Forum

Plug+Play Linux

HOLA441

Can anyone recommend a linux install that will work straight out of the box?

I installed linux years ago as liked the look of it, but then i tried to -use- it.. I wanted to play an mp3 but had to download something that allowed this, then do some command line stuff that got complex and time consuming. Same when i wanted to play a video. I eventually lost patience and gave up and went back to windows.

I now have a spare pc which isnt quite good enough to install windows on, but wouldnt mind making use of it.

I'm assuming there is now some linux version that i can install and use to listen to music, watch video, and surf the web (thats literally all i need to do) without any programming of kernels(?) or such faff ? ?

thanks

HOLA442

Can anyone recommend a linux install that will work straight out of the box?

I installed linux years ago as liked the look of it, but then i tried to -use- it.. I wanted to play an mp3 but had to download something that allowed this, then do some command line stuff that got complex and time consuming. Same when i wanted to play a video. I eventually lost patience and gave up and went back to windows.

I now have a spare pc which isnt quite good enough to install windows on, but wouldnt mind making use of it.

I'm assuming there is now some linux version that i can install and use to listen to music, watch video, and surf the web (thats literally all i need to do) without any programming of kernels(?) or such faff ? ?

thanks

ubuntu

/thread :D

HOLA443
HOLA444

ubuntu

/thread :D

Doesn't support Flash of the box (or didn't when I tried it a few months ago) and you have to piss about manually installing it (i.e. not a click install like you get on windows)

I have no issue with Linux but it's never offered me anything I couldn't do elsewhere and I have had a similar experience to WorkingForTheMan.

HOLA445

Doesn't support Flash of the box (or didn't when I tried it a few months ago) and you have to piss about manually installing it (i.e. not a click install like you get on windows)

There's a "software centre" (sorry can't remember the name) that comes with Ubuntu. Type in "Flash" there and you can install it very quickly (the software centre does the work).

Very easy to find and install stuff using that.

HOLA446

There's a "software centre" (sorry can't remember the name) that comes with Ubuntu. Type in "Flash" there and you can install it very quickly (the software centre does the work).

KpackageKit failed for me in the last week when I did a fresh install. I had to create the sym links manually for some reason. As far as I know you will still faff with Linux a lot. Unfortunatly, I don't find windows any easier to get things done in! MySQL was a real pain to get installed in Windows 7. Error, configuration failed, configuration failed, dying! Bah!

HOLA447

Actually, now I think about it, Linux Mint comes with all the codecs, as does easy-peasy Linux. I stopped using Mint about 2 years ago as it didn't recognise my wireless card, but you may have more luck. Easy-peasy seems OK, but I think it is designed for notebooks.

HOLA448

Actually, now I think about it, Linux Mint comes with all the codecs, as does easy-peasy Linux. I stopped using Mint about 2 years ago as it didn't recognise my wireless card, but you may have more luck. Easy-peasy seems OK, but I think it is designed for notebooks.

Its not hard to install the DVD libcss stuff anyway. Its just the Linux distro's playing safe to avoid being sued. It is after all a reverse engineered hack and without it, there would be no ability in Linux to play protected DVD's.

HOLA449

Very easy to find and install stuff using that.

+1

It's called "Ubuntu Software Centre" or at least it should be but unfortunately the muppets misspelt 'centre'.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'm not too keen on the new desktop in the current release.

Yes, its radically different. Though in the login screen you can choose the old one still :)

As for installing stuff in Linux. Ubuntu is the easiest way to go IMPO.

It's got a really easy software search tool program that installs everything you need. It's a doddle.

Ubuntu is your answer.

And install VLC. It will play any file you throw at it. Absolutely brilliant and no messing with installs. Just search for the program.

HOLA4412

Yes, its radically different. Though in the login screen you can choose the old one still :)

Mmmmm, but they're going to stop supporting it soon. The old one's already a bit buggy in the current release and they don't seem to be fixing it any more.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Although I'm a long-term Ubuntu user, I'd seriously consider trying out Mint if you want a "faff-free" setup and a familiar UI. You should be able to run a LiveDVD version (the CD has no codecs) without installing to test wireless, sound etc and even if additional drivers are needed, you can often get round rebooting after downloading them into the live session e.g. by restarting X or the network subsystem.

I recently set up Mint on an old laptop for a friend who had not previously encountered Linux. The requirements were pretty basic (Internet access + Word processing) but the only extra setup I had to carry out was adding (through the UI) the settings for the 3G Internet dongle. After a quick phone call to explain how to connect/disconnect said dongle I've not had a single support call so I guess it must be pretty simple to use.

HOLA4415

ubuntu it is then. i shall install on sunday and no doubt be back here with my frustrations :D

This is probably a bit too much info, but it might be worth sticking with a 10.x version of Ubuntu to start with (10.04 or 10.10). The latest 11.04 is getting mixed reviews because of the new UI, but the older ones are fairly tried and tested so are more likely to 'just work'.

HOLA4416

This is probably a bit too much info, but it might be worth sticking with a 10.x version of Ubuntu to start with (10.04 or 10.10). The latest 11.04 is getting mixed reviews because of the new UI, but the older ones are fairly tried and tested so are more likely to 'just work'.

If you aren't keen on Unity, you can still run 11.04 with the Gnome desktop.

That said, I actually find Unity very good and quick to use. It is essentially a search based approach, where you can then pin the applications you use regularly. This is aimed at tablets to some extent, but works well for desktops etc as well.

HOLA4417

I'd vote for Mint for people who just want a simple system that works. It is basically Ubuntu, but simplified.

HOLA4418

That said, I actually find Unity very good and quick to use. It is essentially a search based approach, where you can then pin the applications you use regularly. This is aimed at tablets to some extent, but works well for desktops etc as well.

I agree, and that is what I am running on this Acer Netbook now. Indeed Unity is fine for netbook's and tablets and gives you greater screen real estate.

You can always install 10.x then use the Update Manager to update to 11.04, takes a few hours.

Also tempted to get ChromeOS running in a VM. I already have an Android image running in Virtual Box, but I'd like see how Chrome checks out considering they are selling Chrome ready tablets and netbooks on Amazon. Might consider running Android or ChromeOS natively on this smaller netbook.

HOLA4419

This is probably a bit too much info, but it might be worth sticking with a 10.x version of Ubuntu to start with (10.04 or 10.10).

+1

I could never find out how to do that. You were supposed to get the option on starup/login, but I couldn't see it.

I disliked Unity intensely.

HOLA4420

+1

I could never find out how to do that. You were supposed to get the option on starup/login, but I couldn't see it.

It's definitely there somewhere. I spent about two minutes looking at Unity then switched straight back.

Hold on ... instructions here or here.

I think they're planning to eventually make it Unity-only though, so I think I'll be looking for a new distribution when that happens.

HOLA4421

+1

You probably haven't got any other desktops installed. Anyway its Linux and there is nothing to stop your run the (full) Gnome, XFCE or even KDE.

XFCE if your hardware is a little challenged.

There is even Xubuntu.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

+1

There should be some drop downs on the bottom of the login screen, otherwise if you haven't got the grunt to run unity, then 11.04 will offer to revert to Gnome.

HOLA4424

sorted!

no problems whatsoever with install, and very easy to install from a usb drive. Everything detected and set up without any problems, network works, flash etc all installed automatically. I like the look and feel of the unity desktop, its simple and quick for what I need it for. Music and video works straight away..overall, a positive experience!

Almost tempted to install it on my netbook but probably won't bother as win7 works just fine

Thanks for the advice people!

Archived