House Price Crash Forum

Grey Jobs Boom: How Over 65S Are Filling A Third Of New Positions Because They Are Too Poor To Retire

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1376634/Over-65s-filling-new-positions-theyre-poor-retire.html

Nearly a third of new jobs created over the past year went to workers aged 65 and over, official figures revealed yesterday.

The statistics highlight a growing social phenomenon, with more and more older people finding themselves too broke to retire.

Over the past year, the number of people in employment has risen by 390,000 to a total of 29.2million, according to the Office for National Statistics.

Work until dead.

Although many people can work after 65 and there's no reason why they shouldn't but then what about youth unemployment part of the reason to get people to retire is so that someone can take that job.

The economy needs a massive boost in jobs from the private sector to take up the slack in workers.

At least after 65 your no longer counted as unemployed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

An age group that is largely reliant on fixed income, fixed income which has been slashed first by manipulated interest rates and reduced in real terms by inflation.

So, the bankrupt of england is directly affecting the employment prospects of the young, as well as assitsing in keeping them priced out of housing and on top of handing them the bill for the credit bubble that they themselves helped so much in fostering.

HOLA443

The elder's probably have better skills than the youngsters. Many youngsters I've seen (from the UK) are pretty thick - education policy working well, then..

Perhaps if house prices cost less these people could have afforded retirement. It goes all the way back to this every time....

HOLA444
HOLA445

How much money do people need to retire on?

I know someone who gets a small trust fund, has his house bought for him, yet whilst some people could live on the money he has, he's constantly in debt, sends his wife out to work and basically bemoans the fact he can't afford to do what he actually wants.

HOLA446

I know someone who gets a small trust fund, has his house bought for him, yet whilst some people could live on the money he has, he's constantly in debt, sends his wife out to work and basically bemoans the fact he can't afford to do what he actually wants.

I may be misunderstanding here are you saying he doesn't work but yet makes his wife?

HOLA447

The Tories said the private economy will soon expand and pick up a few million extra employees in well paid jobs.

So if it doesn't it's all their fault, right? This government are struggling against a headwind of a scorched-earth economy, a bloated politicised public sector, and a state broadcaster that is little more than the propaganda arm of Labour.

The best thing the government can do is get the hell out the way of private enterprise and lower taxes, but lefties won't have that. Why exactly they have any say in the matter at all is beyond me.

HOLA448

constantly in debt is the key here.

HOLA449

I may be misunderstanding here are you saying he doesn't work but yet makes his wife?

Yes.

She's growing a bit peed off with being the one who goes out and earns the money I think.

If they learnt to live on less money they could both be at home all day doing nothing.

HOLA4410

An age group that is largely reliant on fixed income, fixed income which has been slashed first by manipulated interest rates and reduced in real terms by inflation.

So, the bankrupt of england is directly affecting the employment prospects of the young, as well as assitsing in keeping them priced out of housing and on top of handing them the bill for the credit bubble that they themselves helped so much in fostering.

You would imagine, after piling all this misery on this generation and the next, that these pensioners wouldn't need to work to make ends meet.

Unless, of course, someone else took all the cash they generated.... and still is.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yes.

She's growing a bit peed off with being the one who goes out and earns the money I think.

If they learnt to live on less money they could both be at home all day doing nothing.

Sounds like the perfect way to die early. God forbid they should want to do anything enjoyable!

HOLA4413

Sounds like the perfect way to die early. God forbid they should want to do anything enjoyable!

Why shouldn't they do enjoyable things on a low budget?

Do you equate spending money with pleasure?

They have a free holiday home they can use whenever they want.

He could be doing his pottery or whatever it is he really wants to do - and she could be enjoying not being part of the slave worker society she's in now.

You don't need huge sums of money to do things - and even if they did then his uber-rich uncle would cough up. Their school fees for their kids are paid for. I'm pretty certain when this car needs replacing they'll be given a new one.

They could even start a business up and have financial support for that - doing something they really enjoyed. They are in this amazing position to actually do what they want and yet he can't see it clearly enough to grasp it with both hands.

HOLA4414

Because lots of policies (job market manipulation) introduced are actively giving priority to the retired generation.

Full tax credits, but you only have to work 16 hour a week if you are retired. This started this month.

Not sure if you get £20 (doing 16 hour week). But full time in low paid work will net £40 a week.

Free bus travel.

In our town that equates to £52 a month.

Reduced council tax negating rises.

Most (one would hope) are mortgage free, the young will be renting or have a large mortgage £350-450 (assume partner or a single room).

for a £6.37p hour job a pensioner will gain at least luxury income of £682 compared to under 65's. The 16+ hours working tax credit is an outrage, a job for a single person will pay £40 a week less if it is below 30 hours a week. This is why part time work is the bastion of parents, and now the retired.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Why shouldn't they do enjoyable things on a low budget?

Do you equate spending money with pleasure?

They have a free holiday home they can use whenever they want.

He could be doing his pottery or whatever it is he really wants to do - and she could be enjoying not being part of the slave worker society she's in now.

You don't need huge sums of money to do things - and even if they did then his uber-rich uncle would cough up. Their school fees for their kids are paid for. I'm pretty certain when this car needs replacing they'll be given a new one.

They could even start a business up and have financial support for that - doing something they really enjoyed. They are in this amazing position to actually do what they want and yet he can't see it clearly enough to grasp it with both hands.

They absolutely should. You said they could be sitting at home doing nothing.

By the way, even using a holiday home costs more money than staying at home. As does doing pottery etc.

HOLA4417

They absolutely should. You said they could be sitting at home doing nothing.

I did actually mean not having a job...

Even so there are hundreds of enjoyable things you can do whilst sat at home for very little money.

I don't imagine pottery costs more than an iphone contract.

HOLA4418

I did actually mean not having a job...

Even so there are hundreds of enjoyable things you can do whilst sat at home for very little money.

I don't imagine pottery costs more than an iphone contract.

Which is fine if you have a "small trust fund" that can fund an iphone contract.

Your original question however, was "how much money do people need to retire on?". I think the basic state pension for a couple (and coming from a working class background, most of the pensioners I know survive on this alone) is between £160 and £195 a week. Not a lot of money to heat, clothe and feed a couple of pensioners.

Quick edit, I hear that the rise in pensions this year is linked to the lower of RPI/CPI rates, figures that most agree are not linked to the reality of todays cost of living, making the poorest even poorer.

Edited by AThirdWay

HOLA4419

You would imagine, after piling all this misery on this generation and the next, that these pensioners wouldn't need to work to make ends meet.

Unless, of course, someone else took all the cash they generated.... and still is.

+1

Suits and swag bags, the essential accessories for the 21st century highwayman.

Edited by PopGun

HOLA4420

Which is fine if you have a "small trust fund" that can fund an iphone contract.

Your original question however, was "how much money do people need to retire on?". I think the basic state pension for a couple (and coming from a working class background, most of the pensioners I know survive on this alone) is between £160 and £195 a week. Not a lot of money to heat, clothe and feed a couple of pensioners.

His TF can fund an awful lot of iphone contracts. It does I spose boil down to him doing what he wants with his money and if he sees fit to fritter it away on stuff that I wouldn't, then that's his problem not mine.

for OAPS:

Heating allowance kicks in at what age. If OAPs expect to heat a large family home as pensioners then this is something they clearly need to address.

Clothing - how many clothes do you need to buy a year?

Food. They aren't going to cost more than a younger pair of adults are they?

So what costs a lot? Running a car. But this is a luxury? Three holidays a year?

HOLA4421

Because lots of policies (job market manipulation) introduced are actively giving priority to the retired generation.

Full tax credits, but you only have to work 16 hour a week if you are retired. This started this month.

Not sure if you get £20 (doing 16 hour week). But full time in low paid work will net £40 a week.

Free bus travel.

In our town that equates to £52 a month.

Reduced council tax negating rises.

Most (one would hope) are mortgage free, the young will be renting or have a large mortgage £350-450 (assume partner or a single room).

for a £6.37p hour job a pensioner will gain at least luxury income of £682 compared to under 65's. The 16+ hours working tax credit is an outrage, a job for a single person will pay £40 a week less if it is below 30 hours a week. This is why part time work is the bastion of parents, and now the retired.

Higher personal allowance for the over 65's and no NI either.

HOLA4422

I don't get it, why is this (and the last) government encouraging old people to work at the expense of the young?

Surely 55-70 year olds should be cheaper to keep, given that (in theory) they'll be more inclined to have paid mortgages off, and have no dependants to look after compared to their younger counterparts.

Surely shutting the door on the young is the least cost effective solution in the long term.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Quick edit, I hear that the rise in pensions this year is linked to the lower of RPI/CPI rates, figures that most agree are not linked to the reality of todays cost of living, making the poorest even poorer.

My parents have lived on the state pension for many years (she retired 13 years ago, he much longer ago).

They have a whole lot more to spend now than they ever had when they were bringing up a family and servicing a mortgage. They've graduated to a middle-class lifestyle on it, including Waitrose and M&S, eating out from time to time, concerts/theatre/cinema a couple of times a month, and even a b***** TV and video at home - none of which we could have come close to affording when I were a lad and he was working for a living.

HOLA4425