House Price Crash Forum

£160 On Your Family Holiday: Travel Giants Impose Fuel Surcharges On Sunshine Breaks

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361888/Petrol-prices-hit-1-30-litre-Thomas-Cook-adds-160-fuel-surcharge.html

* Petrol now only two pence away from £6 per gallon

* Two car family paying £36.71 more for petrol than they were a year ago

* Thomas Cook say the cost of jet fuel has gone up 40 per cent in a YEAR

Holiday giants are imposing fuel surcharges that could add £160 to the price of a family sunshine break in response to soaring oil prices.

Thomas Cook and Thomson, the UK’s two biggest package holiday firms, have unveiled supplements ranging from £15 to £40 per person based on the length of flights.

Other holiday firms, including cruise operators, are expected to follow suit, while British Airways recently increased its fuel surcharges to between £75 and £125 per person.

Excellent news for those hoping to go away. It's getting to the stage where holidays will be a luxury.

HOLA442

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361888/Petrol-prices-hit-1-30-litre-Thomas-Cook-adds-160-fuel-surcharge.html

Excellent news for those hoping to go away. It's getting to the stage where holidays will be a luxury.

Lucky I booked a rather reasonably priced trip to Vegas yesterday, I think I will spend as much as I can enjoying myself rather than attempt to save it with such ridiculous returns on interest, the other obvious bonus for my concience is I won't be spending it in the UK...life isn't so bad if you are debt free with no mortage, car to burn over priced fuel and no other expensive "habits" ;)

Edited by JustAnotherProle

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I'm taking the kids camping again, £15 a night, they love it.

Agreed - from the man who used to have four foreign holidays a year. No hassle with airport parking, check-ins, missed connections or taxis. The Scottish Highlands are more beautiful than parts of northern Italy IMO

I have noticed our homegrown places to staycate ramped up prices in the past few years to almost match what it would have costs for a short hop into Europe. Ever the crasher though I reckon prices will come down as they struggle to fill up their spaces.

Edited by tomposh101

HOLA447

Agreed - from the man who used to have four foreign holidays a year. No hassle with airport parking, check-ins, missed connections or taxis. The Scottish Highlands are more beautiful than parts of northern Italy IMO

I have noticed our homegrown places to staycate ramped up prices in the past few years to almost match what it would have costs for a short hop into Europe. Ever the crasher though I reckon prices will come down as they struggle to fill up their spaces.

I have had quite a few emails from companys like Welcome cottages offering discounts for this summer so they must be struggling to fill up their houses.

Interestingly I priced up a week on a not too bad caravan in West Cornwall for August and one on a site in Brittany with more facilites and ferry crossing included.

The Brittany holiday is cheaper( just)

HOLA448

I have had quite a few emails from companys like Welcome cottages offering discounts for this summer so they must be struggling to fill up their houses.

Interestingly I priced up a week on a not too bad caravan in West Cornwall for August and one on a site in Brittany with more facilites and ferry crossing included.

The Brittany holiday is cheaper( just)

Nah, the Brittany holiday is much cheaper in reality.

Your spending money will go further. The weather is better and there are things to do.

When it rains on a campsite in cornwall then it means spending money to find things to do and usually all there is on our campsites is an arcade and a few other ways to milk you.

With young ones it is definitely better to pay for descent weather than struggle to find things to do on wet/cold days.

HOLA449

Your spending money will go further. The weather is better and there are things to do.

When it rains on a campsite in cornwall then it means spending money to find things to do and usually all there is on our campsites is an arcade and a few other ways to milk you.

With young ones it is definitely better to pay for descent weather than struggle to find things to do on wet/cold days.

Yeah I agree

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

+1

HOLA4413

Last year I booked a holiday to Tunisia that got cancelled because of the volcano.

Early this year I was considering rebooking it.... or maybe Egypt. Perhaps a trip to Libya to see the Roman ruins.

I am now thinking of hiring myself out as a antiholiday consultant - just ask me where I recommend going, and then avoid it like the plague!

HOLA4414

Foreign holidays as a child always used to be a luxury.....can remember some great seaside self-catering holidays as a child (not always a relaxing holiday for parents though).....later was the start of the 18-30s type holidays, what fun was had by all at the time.......When you work in a stressful full time job with five weeks holiday per year, holidays mean a lot.....when things are not so stressful holidays are not so important, a weekend break to Europe makes for a nice change of scenery. ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

You are right about everything apart from the weather.Brittany isn't really any different from Cornwall in that respect.Where I think it really does score is that it is very different from Britain,especially Finisterre in the far west.,It has a bit of a 50's feel to it and yes you don't get ripped of as badly either.

HOLA4417

You are right about everything apart from the weather.Brittany isn't really any different from Cornwall in that respect.Where I think it really does score is that it is very different from Britain,especially Finisterre in the far west.,It has a bit of a 50's feel to it and yes you don't get ripped of as badly either.

Yes and no to that!

It depends where the jet stream ends up that year!

Going just that bit further sarf can give you 2-3 months of decent 'euro-continental' weather with a handful of 1/2 day rainy/stormy periods

Anyway - if the fuel goes back down by the time you take your holiday - do you get the 'surcharges' back?

Or is this an extra profit taking (by the back door) excuse?

HOLA4418

I gave up on travelling abroad, certainly main holidays about 6 years ago. We go for mini festivals, pub festivals with camping or hotels running 3 bands a night with a dance floor. 30 -70 mile cycle through the country side, shed loads of cash for beer and pub food, and dancing with my mates till 4 in the morning. Nothing better and all you give up is £10 each for day festivals or £30 camping for 3 days. The hotel ones are £180 full English, 3 course meal and then 3 bands for 3 nights.